Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So I've been lurking around in these forums, debating whether an FX35 is worth it or not. I basically need an exciting SUV that can also handle the snow. I'm planning on getting a fully loaded FX35 with sport/tech/touring/maybe dvd and I'm wondering how bad the traction is on snow. I'm probably going to take 4-5 trips at most to Lake Tahoe and I live in California so as long as it can handle the snow adequately then I'm okay. I read somewhere that someone even used Nissan Murano rims and put snow tires on those as well. If I really needed the traction, how difficult would it be to replace the stock wheels/tires with snow tires/wheels? I know that getting 20" snow tires won't make much sense as the price would probably go up a huge amount. I'm debating whether to go with an FX35 or a Toyota 4Runner Limited and while both are nice, I actually prefer the FX35's interior and exterior a little more (I really like the Intellikey and HID lights).

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Do a search here for "snow" and you'll get your answer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a FX45 and live in Anchorage, Alaska. We have had one **** of a winter this year, lots of snow & ice.
I would definately recommend this car for winter driving. I've had to use the "snow mode" during and directly after snow fall. Otherwise, keeping your wits about you and driving for conditions goes a long way. She slides a bit while braking on ice, but nothing to sway my decision. :D

·
Registered
441 Posts
I would say that if you only plan to go in the snow a few times you should be able to get away with the mud & sno tires that come with the car...I'm in the NY area and we get some crazy snow so I purchased the Blizakks and they are unreal..so if you are looking for great traction thats the way to go..
Phil

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
4Runner with good winter tire = No problems with snow
FX35 with good winter tire = No problems with snow but watch out for those people who might drool all over when they sees your FX. And that might be slippery. :D

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you want to stick with 20" rims, the Toyo Proxes S/T all season tires are great, handle the snow with no problem and look really nice and soften up the ride a little bit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I live in montreal Canada and my 35 handles very good in snow. I have 18's blizzaks and they are great. I just have to adjust my driving a bit and be softer on the gas pedal cause you could get the vdc kicking in all the time...lol. Which means even if you make a mistake it will save you. Overall great all seasons vehicle.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I live in New York and at one point during the winter we had bout 2' and my car handled it great...even though they emphasize Sport it can still handle the elements...I have the 18" wheels and Ive heard the 20" werent as good in the snow.

·
Registered
114 Posts
particlefx said:
I you get the OEM 20"ers, you will either need chains or cables (I recommend cables).
bumping this up as I can't seem to find the info needed... I'm running the OEM 20" wheels with hancooks (sp?) and am looking for cables to put on. the only part number for cables I found is Super Z LT #ZT 747

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Super-Z- ... dZViewItem

but it doesn't list 265/50R20. What is the proper cable to use??

Thank you.

·
Registered
236 Posts
sdaccord01 said:
chains wouldn't really be needed?
Chains? You gotta be kidding! Half of us who post about snow driving seem happy with the stock tires. The other half (including me) use winter tires for the added security. Very few posts are negative about the FX in winter (and I wonder about those people :twisted: ). And with Blizzaks, Lattitudes, etc, you can climb ice-covered walls.

These vehicles are outstanding in winter. We've never had a problem on stock 18s, and we've driven Philly to Boston and back in some awful weather. Also, our home is at the low point of a pretty steep road leading uphill in either direction out of our driveway.

I probably wouldn't have gotten snows for it at all but my wife drives it most days and I love her - so I want her to come home in one piece. She was fine the last 2 winters, but her stockers are wearing down and I needed an excuse to get better summer tires next year. So I put on a set of 17" snows on 350Z rims - of course, it hasn't snowed since I did this.........

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
I agree.
Chains??

I'm in the 1/2 or so that uses winter tires. Blizzaks are my choice.

I've pushed through snow up to the Infiniti logo on the grill.

The AWD system on these vehicles works extremely well.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks for the replies, but I really NEED chains or cables

They are needed half/most of the time to drive up to Big Bear during snow season. Sometimes they even make you put them on before you enter to make sure you have the right stuff

So help me out please, which ones should I get?? I need these ASAP, as I'll be driving up there in a couple weeks

Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
i have 22" all season tires on my FX and worked fine in the snow. yes you have to be careful but when aren't you careful in the snow. here in Long Island, NY it's not tha bad. we've been having the warmest December on record though so no snow yet

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Spawn_X said:
Thanks for the replies, but I really NEED chains or cables

They are needed half/most of the time to drive up to Big Bear during snow season. Sometimes they even make you put them on before you enter to make sure you have the right stuff

So help me out please, which ones should I get?? I need these ASAP, as I'll be driving up there in a couple weeks

Thanks fellas.
Just curious.
Do they make ALL vehicles use chains.
Jeeps, Trailblazers, etc.

Do a search.
They've been discussed here several different times over the last couple yrs.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Wireboltman said:
Just curious.
Do they make ALL vehicles use chains.
Jeeps, Trailblazers, etc.

Do a search.
They've been discussed here several different times over the last couple yrs.
its a "tourist spot", so people don't know how to drive in snow, and there are MANY MANY accidents and sliding around into things. Most aren't too serious, but sometimes a bus or truck will turn over and stop traffic for a couple hours, and its only 1 main way up. i live in los angeles, ca, hence the laws

They made this use chains (had to take the back route)

and thanks, I've already done the search. (see my 1st post in this thread). That's all the info I found, and that cover doesn't list 265/50R20.

I've searched for snow chains and cables.

I did see that other wicked looking option for snow traction, but at 460 bucks its not worth it to me (only going up in the FX couple times/year)

THanks

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have bought these chains :

Maggi Trak 4x4 en SUV maat LT53,(265/50, 20 inch),(265/50, 20 inch) Euro 299.00

I don't know if they sell them in the US, but maybe you can order them over the internet. Great chains I think... haven't used them as we have the same strange weather here... no snow, so my Proxes S/T got me into the Alps without a problem.
Did mount them before I left and after you have figured out the drawings in the manual and set them up for you wheels., mounting them takes no more than two minutes. Not the cheapest ones, Euro 299 equals some USD 390.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.