Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '08 FX 45 came with a "Snow Mode" switch, unfortunately none of the sales personnel I spoke with on my purchase could give me a concise answer to what exactly this does. I can feel that when it is engaged that it automatically slows the wheel acceleration thereby decreasing slip, but when I asked if this put it in AWD all the time mode I received differing opinions. When I checked the Owners Manual it did not really say. Any one know?? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
My FX (RWD) has it. My belief is that it is completely seperate from the AWD system on AWD FXs; when you push the 'Snow' button, it does not do anything to the AWD.

·
Registered
266 Posts
My understanding is you are in AWD all the time. In my opinion Snow Mode is more of a novice driver option which just reduces the throttle response making you less likely to spin your tires on the snow. Me personally I like my own control.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
corvettedan22 said:
My understanding is you are in AWD all the time.
As AWD works, yes you're in AWD all the time as it only engages the front wheels when the rears slip... at a stop, the FX starts with 50/50 split front to rear all the time... with the SNOW button on, it changes to a different engine map that really retards the engine helping to make sure the wheels don't spin along with all the other electronic nannies the FX has... however, on OEM tires and icy roads, I've had my AWD FX spin one of the tires from a stop even with the SNOW button on...

·
Registered
128 Posts
With the SNOW mode on, it retards the throttle so much that I've felt like I was stuck when it was just that the pedal had very little response. It really makes the car feel gutless. No sir, don't like it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
corvettedan22 said:
My understanding is you are in AWD all the time. In my opinion Snow Mode is more of a novice driver option which just reduces the throttle response making you less likely to spin your tires on the snow. Me personally I like my own control.
How do you explain for those of us only have RWD only? We have the snow mode too.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
I couldn't find definitive info even in the FSM with some minor scanning of wiring diagrams. My personal opinion is that it reduces throttle response and that's it. If it locked the differential, you'd notice it at slower speeds when turning the wheel completely. You'd notice the rear wheels "skipping" which does not happen. The 50/50 to 18 (or 20) MPH is automatic with or without the snow mode (if you have an AWD)

I usually like the control of the power myself but I have used/needed snow mode twice. Once I was high centered on *GROUND* when driving through 12-18 inches of snow not on a road and another time in a very narrow road that was steep and sloped to the one side. I was sliding sideways and no matter how much I'd modulate my throttle, I kept slipping. Mind you, this is a 45 with more torque and not as easy as a 35 to modulate (yes, I've driven plenty of 35's to know the difference) I do believe that the AWD kicks in at speeds higher than 18 (or 20) MPH if it feels the need. I know I've been driving on horrible ice and snow covered roadways at 30-40MPH when I really shouldn't have been (but it was late at night with few other cars on the road and I just wanted to get home and go to bed) and when I let off the gas, I could REALLY feel the drag of AWD slowing me down.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
funny, my 03 doesn't label the switch as snow mode, it labels it as awd lock, & I def feel the wheels skipping in turns like it is locked... also don't see much throttle reduction if any... wonder if 03 is different?

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
turbocad6 said:
wonder if 03 is different?
Yeah... in 04 they started the SNOW button instead... guess they also made some electronic changes with it as well...

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
de ja vue? :p

·
Registered
430 Posts
Snow button...does two things:

1. Reduces throttle sensitivity. This means that if you slam on the gas pedal, it will purposely open the throttle (butterfly valve in the throttle body) much slower than if you were not in snow mode, resulting in a more controlled acceleration from stop.

2. Raises the AWD-RWD transfer speed. Like many others here, I don't know the EXACT speed at which the ECU tells the TCU to make a RWD powertrain. Again, from what I remember, this number is 19mph. In snow mode, you will maintain the AWD start for higher speeds than if the button was not depressed. The transmission will still be RWD biased and will revert to a RWD, just a little later on.

The '03 models did not have a snow button, but rather an AWD Lock button, which did the same thing except did not have the throttle sensitivity adjust that the snow mode has.

ATTESA E-TS traction system

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Infiniti's advanced Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) system with Traction Control System (TCS) is standard on all FX models. VDC adjusts brake pressure and engine torque automatically in understeer, oversteer or slippery road surface situations, helping the driver keep the intended path.

The ATTESA E-TS™ (Advanced Total Traction Engineering System for All Electronic Torque Split) all-wheel drive system utilized on FX45 and FX35 AWD uses an advanced torque split control strategy that automatically transfers optimum torque to the wheels according to road and driving conditions. The system provides outstanding handling due to optimum torque distribution for front and rear SNOW MODE(50:50 up to 0:100). ATTESA E-TS™ also provides high starting traction performance and smooth, stable acceleration, especially in snow-covered or off-road situations with a 50:50 torque split at standing start.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts