Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All,

First, I would simply like to extend a thank you to each of you who have contributed to the knowledge base on this website and others. This forum has been very practical and useful to me, so much so I finally joined this past weekend.

My first question:

The 04 owners talk of a "Snow" mode. My 03 does not have this, but it does have an "AWD LOCK", which my sales consultant told me locked AWD 50/50. She also mentioned I could not ever engage AWD LOCK above 20 mph.

Is my AWD LOCK an 04's SNOW MODE? If so, are the 04's subject to the same 20mph restriction?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Yes they are essentially the same, except on the '04's snow mode, the throttle sensitivity is changed (slower) at all speeds. The 50/50 lock can only be engaged upto ~19mph.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
ujmot said:
Yes they are essentially the same, except on the '04's snow mode, the throttle sensitivity is changed (slower) at all speeds. The 50/50 lock can only be engaged upto ~19mph.
i thought the ignition/timing was retarded to discourage wheel-spin/slip.....

all it would take would be an aditional set of ignition/fuel maps that the switch initiates........

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
urbinda said:
By the way, how is the performance in the snow up in NYC?
It's not great but it's fine with the stock tires. You just need to know it's limits and drive with respect to the elements. I was sort of shocked how easily the tail swings out when accelerating out of a corner even with 'snow mode' and 'vdc' on. I ended up getting a second set of 20" w/ 20" snow tires mounted on them to use during the winter. With these Dunlop snow tires, driving on snow is like driving on pavement. Amazing difference.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
esemes said:
ujmot said:
i thought the ignition/timing was retarded to discourage wheel-spin/slip.....

all it would take would be an aditional set of ignition/fuel maps that the switch initiates........
It's the throttle sensitivity.

·
Registered
204 Posts
urbinda said:
The 04 owners talk of a "Snow" mode. My 03 does not have this, but it does have an "AWD LOCK", which my sales consultant told me locked AWD 50/50. She also mentioned I could not ever engage AWD LOCK above 20 mph.

Is my AWD LOCK an 04's SNOW MODE? If so, are the 04's subject to the same 20mph restriction?
First, there is no speed restriction on the 04 SNOW mode or the 03 AWD LOCK mode. Infiniti does not recommend turning it on while in the middle of a turn or while a tire is spinning. Other than that, you should be able to turn it on whenever. If Infiniti did not want us to turn it on above 20 mph, wouldn't they disable the switch above 20 mph?

From the '03 user's manual, the AWD LOCK (50:50) mode is only effective below 12.9 mph. So if you turn it on when you are doing 50 mph, you do not get any benefit until you drop below 12.9 mph

If the FX and G35X Snow mode is the same... The 04 SNOW mode starts at 50:50 and reduced throttle sensitivity. At 12.4 mph it transitions back to normal mode ():100),but you ALWAYS have the benefit of the reduced throttle sensitivity.

See here for more details http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads ... r=67652485

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As an aside (Ujmot touched on this) - I'm really touchy on traction. My wife and I are due to move to New York this summer, and come the winter, I'll just be a Texan lost in the snow.

I really want to learn as much as I can on how to handle this car in winter conditions (one of the main reasons I purchased the FX was its ability to perform in adverse weather). That said, Ujmot's experience with Dunlop snow tires helps me feel better.

The fact that the 04's had a SNOW button and my 03 did not, scared me a little...but gtxjoe helped me see things a little clearer.

Any other suggestions out there?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Find an empty parking lot after a snow storm to test its limits. I was doing donuts rather easily with it. Very fun but not too confidence inspiring when driving it on the streets with idiots on the road.

With the stock tires on the car, just drive it very carefully. Like I've said on turns, it is extremely easy to swing the rear out. So with that in mind, just lightly accelerate on turns and drive with respect. Fresh snow isnt that bad with this car but on slush, it's a pig on ice. The fat crappy 'all season' tires and its rear wheel drive bias isnt the best combo for slush and ice.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
The snow mode button, if you have it, is below the steering wheel on the left hand side.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts