Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this? Just purchased the unit/car kit bundle and am trying to determine the best place to install the antenna and receiver docking station. I saw an installation with the cradle next to the clock using the adhesive pad on the aluminum. I am concerned if I do this and decide to remove the cradle later that the adhesive will ruin the aluminum finish. Does the adhesive pad remove easily?

As for the antenna, I was thinking of mounting it on the dash in the corner next to the speaker or on the roof in front of the factory antenna.

Any ideas are appreciated!

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Interesting idea. My expeirence is that the console finish is pretty fragile and I wouldn't want to stick anything to it.

The problem with your dock is that it's pretty big and requires top access to get to it. How about fitting it where the sunglass holder is? There is power nearby in the RVM or overhead lights and you could run hardwire to an AUX input (see posts on PAC AAI-NIS devices) instead of using the tape adapter or FM modulator for better sound.

·
Registered
77 Posts
coming out in December is the Delphi MyFi. It's a personal satellite radio that has a built in antenna and built in Fm transmitter. This should be much easier to install/use especially if you use a kuda holder.

·
Registered
662 Posts
jbtmn said:
Has anyone done this? Just purchased the unit/car kit bundle and am trying to determine the best place to install the antenna and receiver docking station. I saw an installation with the cradle next to the clock using the adhesive pad on the aluminum. I am concerned if I do this and decide to remove the cradle later that the adhesive will ruin the aluminum finish. Does the adhesive pad remove easily?

As for the antenna, I was thinking of mounting it on the dash in the corner next to the speaker or on the roof in front of the factory antenna.

Any ideas are appreciated!
I decided to go with Roady2 instead of using OEM one due to Roady2's new features like stock ticker, favorate song memory and etc. Temporarily mounted next to the clock using velcro(didn't leave any mark on aluminum surface) and yesterday I relocated it.

Here are pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
662 Posts
ShadyJC said:
topguy, nice install! Is that a Kuda phonebase you used?
Yes it is Kuda's. I've used one for my wife's car and liked the quality. I thought about getting OEM installed then found about new Roady2. Sound quality is as good as CD(casette direct connect) and it has more usable features than OEM's.

I was able to hide all the wires and am happy with how it's installed.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Was thinking about getting that Kuda base, the install seems easy enough. Do you have any more pics of the base?

·
Registered
662 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Topguy, How about a little write up on the install? How did you run the wires? Where is your antenna located? Detail, details, details.

Looks great!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It looks like it would cut into the passenger leg room. Does it? Please post details of install.

Thanks.

·
Registered
662 Posts
It does cut into the passenger side little bit but my wife didn't care. If you usually have large size(?) passenger, it would matter though.

Since I'm planning on keeping my FX for 1-2 year, I didn't want permanent installation. Otherwise, I would have done little differently.

My original idea was fabricating ash tray by cutting and removing portion of its cover/plastic frame and putting Roady2 in it. I still think it would have looked great but like I said above, I wanted this to be semi-permanent installation.

Kuda is usually easy to install but for FX, bracket needed to be adjusted. Roady2's antenna is smaller than Roady1(about 1x0.75, pretty small.) and I put it on top of rear air deflector(?) close to driver side roof rail. I know some of you did "stealth" install but didn't wanna do that way.

Basically ran the wire under the floor and aluminum trim from back to front. I used the power from inside arm rest and didn't want to drill a hole to feed the wire from inside to outside. So, you can see 2-3" long wire from inside.

Two wires went under the gear shift console and came out between clock and console aluminum trims.

I used casette player connect because its sound quality was as good as CD, surprisingly. Extra wire was hidden behind casette cover and I ran it behind clock panel.

So, total three wires came out together and were connected to the Roady2. You can't see any wire beside 2-3" from the arm rest.

If you're willing to keep your vehicle for longer time and to do more permenent installation, I'm sure you can find better way of doing this. I just didn't want to spend more time on this. I'll try to post some pics tonight.

·
Registered
662 Posts
FYR2

Attachments

·
Registered
662 Posts
I didn't know there were two different kinds. Mine looks like black leather.

·
Registered
44 Posts
did you splice into the power source? I am a bit confused on how you powered it? Or did you just use the 12V in the back? I think that is what you mean, if not, can you take a pic? :) Thanks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'd be interested in pics of the connections as well. It looks great using that dock system, much nicer than anywhere else on the dash. I was resolved to use the OEM XM for that reason but now I'm thinking twice since I already have a Roady2. Also, can these be bought locally in the US or only from their site?

·
Registered
44 Posts
he responded to me via pm, he stated that it was just to the DC 12V power source in the back above where the DVD System would be... just letting you know. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts