Infiniti FX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm still waiting on someone to post pics of an installed system with pop out screen that they installed in the clock location. Anyone? Also, I have to get the X1 (overseas model) anyone know if you can get this model in the states from Piooneer? Exchange rate over here sucks to all out **** and I would rather pay dollars!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Will the tranny shifter get in the way of the pop out screen? As far as I know, the screen needs to extend fully out horizontally before flipping upward. :?:

·
Registered
197 Posts
That's a great question, and the reason I was asking for a picture of someone that has installed a unit of this type. I think so long as you put the car in Drive it should be ok.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Bump... I was in my local car stereo place yesterday and they say that they can get me the Avic-N1 for ~$1200... this seems like a pretty good price, no?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I had an AVIC (not the N1) in my previous vehicle before buying the FX last July and it does output RGB. If the sync rate is compatible (~15kHz) you might be able to rig a fairly simple bufferred switching circuit between the existing nav and the AVIC-N1. That's what I'm doing with my carputer project except that it's controlled by the computer instead of a physical switch.

One odd thing I noticed about the voice recognition in the AVIC unit was that it seemed to interpret female voices better than male voices. Maybe it was just me though :)

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
intuition, I got cheap and didn't get the Tech package so I don't have the factory nav, that's why I have this jones to get some system into the FX...

But I was thinking this through on my way to work this morning...

OK - guys stick with me on this one - if you install an aftermarket NAV player and continue to use the factory stereo and CD changer, you'd require some type of auxiliary input to get the sound output from the NAV into the factory sound system, right? PAC AAI-NIS, check, got that already.

BUT - that means that your factory sound would always have to be on "SAT" in order to hear what the NAV was telling you. So then what's the point.

Is it possible to combine two audio signals into the amplifier along with some type of mute pin like the other thread was talking about so that the aftermarket NAV could always interrupt whatever the factory stereo was doing?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Good point. The only thing I can think of would be to use the small speaker the AVIC-N1 comes with (my older AVIC unit had it's own small speaker you could hide anywhere that it would use if the audio wasn't routed through the stereo) for the nav audio and run the mute pin to a circuit that would effectively press the mute/pause button and then press it again say 15 seconds later. Just a thought.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a question...
Say you have an FX w/o Tech package and you wanted to do this...
remove the radio and the screen and replace it with say a DvD/navigation system. Do you think it would be possible to do this to the console.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
JayDub, two issues with what you're thinking of - first of all, the tape deck (to the unending frustration of many here) is one piece with the rest of the audio unit so you can't separate it out and replace a HU there. Secondly, if you replace the non-tech screen with something aftermarket, you lose your climate controls.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was able to locate a dropshipper who is willing to sell the Pioneer AVIC-N1 Dashboard DVD & GPS w/Touchscreen they have in stock for about $1349, let me know if anyone is interested. maybe we can work out a group buy deal also.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,645 Posts
Thats a real good deal, about dealer cost! We are having a hard time getting them without paying a little more. I'd wait for the AVIC N2, which will have the XM NavTraffic software. The XM will update your nav map with congested areas and such.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Any of you guys know if I can purchase the Avic X1 or X2, (which is the European version of the N1), in the states? If so it would save me a lot of money, as the Euro is king at the moment and I would have to convert my dollars to Euro to purchase it. If any of you out there know please let me know. I have the OEM nav, but as we all know, it does not work over here. Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Avic N2?

I just thought most people would be stuck listening to their MP3 and watching DVDs while having the N1 installed. is there a real need for the N2? Probably by then someone will figure out how to put the MiniMac into our FX... i hope

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Bump.

So, has anyone actually installed one of these in their FX yet? Pics?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey Shady, didn't you say you bought a Garmin and put it on the dash? I want to get the AVIC as well.. Just got my FX fri. night and am now regretting not gettin the Tech Package! :(

John said he could do the install.. so we'll see.. just hate to tear it all up!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
If im willing to spend the cash, can I replave then entire radio/tape deck/ nav. I know you can't take it apart in pieces, but can you just replace it? I want to have the avic-d2 custom built into the dash. Is this possible?

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
jdi411 said:
If im willing to spend the cash, can I replave then entire radio/tape deck/ nav. I know you can't take it apart in pieces, but can you just replace it? I want to have the avic-d2 custom built into the dash. Is this possible?
I'm not quite sure if a full double din unit will fit in the oem display position.

If I were to do a double din full replace I'd probably do it like sinapps. did http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9574

I'm doing a full replace but with an Alpine system. Look at the Z1 if you are going to ctick with Pioneer. They haven't broken the moving video yet, but they will.

·
Premium Member
10,645 Posts
Double din will be tough. Height wise its ok, but not a lot of depth behind there. The Z1 (or D1) is kinda deep with all the plugs on the back.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts