Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to install a pop-charger in my 03 FX45 and I'm wondering if I should just get rid of my skid plate(s) under the engine bay?

I thought I read that they reduce lift at speed, but the mounting holes in the bumper and below the engine are mostly broken and now the front lip has a gap that I believe is just scooping air.

Can I just take this thing off and leave it off?

What are the consequences?

Thanks

·
Registered
470 Posts
well it protects underneath from rocks that can hit and crack your radiator and just about anything that is vulnerable under there, I mean your just taking a chance and some vehicles like my g you can tell that the car is unstable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unstable? At what speeds?

Maybe I'll take it off and see if there is a difference (ie... what exactly it protects).

It is so chunky and non-aerodynamic I can't imagine it causing much more than drag.

Additionally the drivers side edge is bent down creating a 3 inch hole going up into the engine bay.

It isn't the shield itself, but all the mounting holes are breaking so I would have to replace the bumper and probably other points of attachment.

It looks like the radiator is high enough that it wouldn't get hit.

·
Registered
470 Posts
oh I see, unstable meaning a slight vibration nothing to impose a major safety issue but if the bumper is damaged then I guess you can leave it off. as far as what it protects, take a look under there and see. oil pan, radiator, and other stuff. I ran over a rock and it cracked a rim (22's) and that was about it, could imagine it not doing other damage without that skid plate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts