Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 2005, FX35 w/ Tech package / sport packages, and am now considering installing an OEM Sirius Sat radio package. From some of the posts on here, I found the link to Grubbs Infiniti who had a full OEM compatible package (that integrates with the LCD screen) for do-it-yourselfers.

I was wondering if anyone knew of an online resource (or publication) for step-by-step directions with pics for installing an OEM sat radio into a tech ready FX, including the antenna and splitter.

Otherwise, can anyone in Southern California (LA, Burbank areas) recommend a good installer?

So far, I've gotten three quotes:

-Glendale Infiniti = $800 parts/labor w/ 4 yr. warranty
-Miller Infiniti = $695 parts/labor w/ 12k warranty
-Shelby Auto Stereo = $100 labor only w/ 3 yr. warranty
(plus OEM parts from Grubbs $395+)

Thanks for any help!

E

·
Registered
706 Posts
For only $100 labor , that seems to be a no-brainer if you trust him. You couldn't do it yourself for that!

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
grubbs has the PDF online for the whole process. its VERy easy. save yourself the 100 bucks.

go to FA and get the 5% discount code and then online order from grubbs. get the receiver, micro antenna, n-bus adapter, and splitter.

do the stealth antenna install (do a search for details) as it will save you install time and make the car look a lot nicer!

·
Registered
706 Posts
its VERy easy. save yourself the 100 bucks.
Hey, you get a 3yr warranty on labor and the equipment. For a $100 bucks, this is a no-brainer. If your two hours of labor isn't worth a $100 bucks plus warranty, then your one stubborn SOB.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
i doubt the warranty covers the equipment and as fas as labor is concerned...id rather do it myself (i.e.. PROPERLY)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bradical,

Thanks for the tip. Didn't know instructions are posted on grubbs... BTW--what's "FA", so I can get the discount?

Thanks,
E

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
eleones, see you're new - welcome to the forum...

I work in Universal City and Burbank so I'm in the area every day - lots of car places on Ventura in Sherman Oaks and in North Hollywood, I'm sure one of them could help put it in for you.

As others have mentioned, getting access to the head unit and a DIY install is pretty easy in the FX. Here's a link to the installation instructions:
http://www.forums.grubbsperformance.com ... /fxsat.pdf

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey ShadyJC,

Thanks for the link! After browsing through it, I'm thinking it's a little too invasive for me, so I'll probably opt for having it installed by a professional.

I called a few places in North Hollywood area, and they quoted anywhere from $45/hr. to $180 complete - including warranty. Problem is, no one I've called so far had any experience with an Infiniti FX, specifically. I'd hate to risk it on someone's learning curve.

Any recommendation on a good auto installer in our area?

Cheers,
E

·
Registered
187 Posts
I really was scared to install my Sirius reciever. After posting the exact same question as you, some do it yourselfers talked me into doing it myself. I was able to install it in about an hour. I have never worked on a car before, I mean never, and I found it pretty easy. Basically, you pull apart the cargo bay, pull the weather stripping, and run the wire. Make sure you have the correct tools before you start (I went to the hardware store twice) and you should really have no problems. I really enjoyed working on my own car, and felt awesome when I got it to work. I would at least read the directions from grubbs, and do a search on FA for the stealth install. Half the instructions are for running the wire near the rails. If you are still freaked out after reading the directions have a shop do it for you. Although, I recommend you give it a shot.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
eleones said:
Otherwise, can anyone in Southern California (LA, Burbank areas) recommend a good installer?
Yeah, you and me (and let's see if we can get "RU_MATRIX" and "ShadyJC" along for the ride). It'll cost you a six-pack of brew. It's a piece-o'-cake job, and I can finally finish the last parts of my installation too.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
FA is http://www.freshalloy.com

go to the G35 forum (i think) and at the top there is a sticky for the discount code for the month. if its not there, check out some of the other forums or the main page.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
FXLENT said:
its VERy easy. save yourself the 100 bucks.
Hey, you get a 3yr warranty on labor and the equipment. For a $100 bucks, this is a no-brainer. If your two hours of labor isn't worth a $100 bucks plus warranty, then your one stubborn SOB.
im just busting on ya there FXLENT :D 100 bucks is a good install price if you dont want to do this or dont have the time.

but, eleones, dont get suckered into 400 bucks or more for the install unles they are giving you a free steak dinner at the rainbow room too :lol:

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
kcrudup said:
eleones said:
Yeah, you and me (and let's see if we can get "RU_MATRIX" and "ShadyJC" along for the ride). It'll cost you a six-pack of brew. It's a piece-o'-cake job, and I can finally finish the last parts of my installation too.
Kenny, I thought you were good to go? If you need I can help you out... let me re-read the sat install instructions, although I've not installed this particular device before I think you guys know I've dived into the radio stuff previously, it can't be too hard.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
ShadyJC said:
Kenny, I thought you were good to go?
My Ghetto-Sat installation (with the reciever stuck in the spare-tire well) works so well and I've been so busy, I haven't had an extremely-compelling need to shore up the installation yet. I figured I'd get to it next weekend.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
kcrudup/eleones - I just re-read the Sat install, it doesn't look difficult, just has a whole bunch of stuff to take apart, pretty straightforward actually.

If you want, next Thursday or Friday in the afternoon I can help you out. Just need a place to do it with good lighting and tools. Est. ~1.5-2 hours?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the offers to help install!!! You guys are way too generous. I re-re-re-read the instructions again, and it seems the most difficult part would be installing the stealth antenna (in the roof-rack channels) vs. the stick-on one for the back window.

I'm gonna try and attempt a self-install during Xmas break when I'll be off from work. I may be posting questions / problems as I go along.

Cheers,
E

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
do the stealth antenna install. that way you do not have to remove the roof rails at all!

makes it really easy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts