Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my tuner and antenna today - see my other "prewire is a joke" thread

Sirius questions/comments

1) If you give Sirius your VIN and tuner ID, you get 2 free months of service and do not have to even provide a credit card. You can cancel anytime in that two months without obligation. After that, they quoted $142.45 annually. A bit more $$ than XM and who knows how they justify this....

2) The program button on the radio cycles through song genres - Country, Rock, Classical, etc - but is there some way to use this function to actually scan just that category or easily select stations within it?

3) Is there any way to do presets other than to use the ABC buttons? I already had those filled with AM and FM

4)Any way to cycle between Title and Artist automatically? I like the 20 character display with Sirius - I understand that the XM tuner truncates a lot.

5) any other tips or tricks?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm having all sorts of problems with the XM. I've had the signal cut out on me pretty regularly and when this happens it stays on "loading" until I turn the car off. i have SIR in my other vehicle and I love the programming. Does the SIR display scroll on the nav display? The XM limits it to 10 chracters and it is a bit annoying. I've had the tuner replaced already by infiniti and the antenna moved a couple of times, but no luck. I'm hoping to convinve the dealer to let me try the SIR tuner and Antenna and maybe change my luck. ANything else you can tell me that the display does? maybe I can compare it to my XM.

thanks

·
Registered
599 Posts
Just a question regarding Sat radio. I have a g35 loaner which has sat radio (don't have it in my FX.) Is it normal for the radio to temporarily cut after you pass through under a bridge?

I drive under several overpasses in the morning and my Sat radio always cuts for half a second to a second.

I find it quite annoying. Kinda like a bad CD skipping.

Normal?

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
The XM in my FX does not cut out when I drive under bridges (unless stopped under one or it is a long underpass). However in my Avalon I have the antenna on the rear deck, inside the car. In that car it cuts out under bridges about 50% of the time.

·
Registered
706 Posts
yup, My sirius cuts on under most overpasses for about a second or so. For searching withing SAT mode use the seek/scan buttons to move from gender to gender and from station to station. You have to use the ABC presets for SAT. Does not differentiate between the sources so you have to mix all the sources using the presets.

I have preset A for Country (SAT and FM mixed), preset B Pop/Rock (SAT and FM mixed) and Preset C for talk/misc. (SAT, FM, AM mixed).

No way to cycle between artist/title automatically. You have to pick one or the other by pushing in your Audio knob and cycling thru the options. If you are on a SAT station and you push the audio knob in once it will show title,artist,station all at once. Once you leave SAT mode and go to FM you lose this feature and have to redo when you come back to SAT. Also if you shut the car off and restart it you lose it also.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
I would have thought that satellite radios would have a small cache of a couple seconds or so to avoid cut-outs like that -- in the same way that almost all CD players have a short cache to fill in missed data reads when you go over big bumps.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the Sirius responses. Fxcellent, if I push the audio button in once, it goes to title only for a few seconds. But I haven't been able for it to show the station ever or combined title/ artist/ channel as per your description. You say "If you are on a SAT station and you push the audio knob in once it will show title,artist,station all at once". Tell me again how to do that?

Yes, I get drops under bridges and with hills occasionally. It seems like the sat must be low in the horizin in San Diego? I doubt there are any terrestrial repeaters in my area of San Diego as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts