Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all -

Just returned home w/ my brand new '04 FX35 AWD and I'm having a problem trying to activate my sat. radio.

The car I purchased had an XM unit but before I took delivery I specifically requested Sirius as my sat. provider. The dealer swapped out the factory installed unit and replaced it w/ a Sirius receiver. Today when I took delivery of the car the dealer provided me w/ a slip of paper that has the Sirius ID # on it. I also confirmed that Ch 001 on the radio display shows the same # that is on the paper.

Here's where the "fun" starts; I just called Sirius to activate my account and they're telling me that they already have a unit coded w/ the serial # that is shown on my paper and my radio. The Sirius rep. is telling me that the dealer probably coded the reciever incorrectly w/ a # that was already assigned to someone else. The only thing I can do is take the car back to the dealer and have them replace the Sirius unit and re-code the new reciever with a fresh serial #.

Does this sound plausible? If true how difficult is it for the dealer to replace the unit? Must the dashboard be taken apart? Where in the vehicle is the reciever actually loacted?

Thanks in advance & best regards to all.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
receiver is located under the back seat, kinda under and behind the center. You can actually get to it by folding the seat down. Sirius should have been able to see if that ESN was still active or not and if not, activate it for you. We do alot of "reactivations" for second owners of vehicles.

·
Registered
706 Posts
The new receiver should have come with a preprinted bar code with the receiver ID. That's what my dealer gave me. It had adhesive backing (like an address label) and I stuck it nicely into my FX owners manually. If they just wrote the ID on a piece of paper then two things could have happened: 1-they transposed a number, 2-they grabbed a used receiver from a loaner/used car and put it in yours which already had been setup previously for service and probably cancelled when sold or deactivated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was a preprinted bar code but it wasn't on an adhesive backed label. It was just on plain paper [a copy perhaps??]

If the serial # assigned to my receiver is already used under another account I suspect that my only option is to have the dealer swap out my receiver for another, yes? If it's like a cell phone's ESN then I'd suspect that the dealer doesn't have the ability to re-code it.

On the bright side if the receiver is located under the rear seat it doesn't sound like a big deal to replace. In other words I don't have to be too concerned that they'll mess with the dash and tear things up. Am I right?

Finally a side note; as I was picking up my car today I saw a Liquid Copper FX45 w/ the NY tag "GRTPMPKN" on the dealer's lot. Guess that was yours eh? Small world! :D

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
706 Posts
What would bother me is that Sirius already has record of this receiver being used. Who knows what the story behind it is. I would want a brand new receiver that has never been used.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
lasro said:
Finally a side note; as I was picking up my car today I saw a Liquid Copper FX45 w/ the NY tag "GRTPMPKN" on the dealer's lot. Guess that was yours eh? Small world! :D

Thanks for the feedback.
You were at Competition today? That was mine in for service :? .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[/quote]
You were at Competition today? That was mine in for service :? .[/quote]

Yep, dealt w/ Alan Stricoff. Nice guy.

How's the service over there?

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Alan was my sales man too. Good guy. Service has been ok on my previous time there. This time I'm waiting for parts that need to go in so we'll see.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts