Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some free time this afternoon so I decided to read through the Navigation Manual that came with the car. After reading it I decided to test whether it really works. :D

A few simple tests (i.e. finding all grocery stores in my town, nearest gas station, etc...) worked without any problems. I then decided to look for the nearest "something" that a lot of people can't live without (i.e. Starbucks... I don't know about you but my fiance can't live without coffee) :roll:
..so I selected "Point of Interest" but did not specify "City" as I wanted to find the "nearest" one. I did however specify the category "other." To my surprise, it did not find any within 30 miles while there are at least 3 that are not too far away from my house. What gives? I tried the same think with "Dunkin Donuts" and the navi. did not find the closest one while there is one down the street.
The only way I was able to find the closest Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts was by specifying the "City," however this defies the purpose of "Nearest" search...

I also tried changing category to "Restaurant" but that did not work either!

Any comments? Thanks

Kris

·
Registered
462 Posts
I am learning something new everyday! I tried looking for a starbucks my self last week. I used the restaurant option. No hits. Are you saying that some starbucks are actually programmed into the system but we can only get to them by using the "other" option?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. Once you select POI=OTHER then you have to key in the word "Sturbucks" manually. It will find it as long as you specify a state or city but not the "nearest"...

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
guys have the latest version of the zenrin disc 6.3? are the starbucks new.
POIs are a wear point of this nav system.......go PM kenny and ask him what he thinks of the POI system :lol:

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
krzys4 said:
I then decided to look for the nearest "something" that a lot of people can't live without (i.e. Starbucks)
Well, I'm a mobile Professional, so having Starbucks (which all have the Internet) available is a real need for me (I hardly drink the coffee).
so I selected "Point of Interest" but did not specify "City" as I wanted to find the "nearest" one. I did however specify the category "other." To my surprise, it did not find any within 30 miles while there are at least 3 that are not too far away from my house. What gives?
Congratulations. You, too, have been caught by the glaring flaw in the Zenrin system- it has no idea where you are. While that sounds implausible for a Navigation system, unfortunately our system- unlike all the others out there- only plots out where you are by cross-referencing a map based on GPS data. Go sit in a Honda/Toyota/GM and hit "Locate"- you'll get a breakdown to Street (sometimes with the street number)/City/County/State. Our system? It'll tell you the street you're on, and the street behind you and the street ahead of you. Like Duh- try being stuck in a ditch and trying to call Infi Roadside Svc. with that in a strange city. Because of this, it needs the city 'cause it does a city lookup, which means (as is often the case in SoCal where large cities are literally across the street from each other) you can be across the street from a point, but if you put in the "wrong" city, Zenrin's nav will never find it. That "The nearest entry is at least 30 miles away" error is a stupid bug that should have never made it thru QA- I just hope the hookers and blow that Zenrin sent to the guy at Nissan who had to select which Navigation system to select were the Primo stuff ('cause there's no way this selection was made on merit's sake).

I suspect that you've got a newish FX, so you've got the 6.3 version (i.e., the latest) of the Nav software (you can find this out by sliding the passenger seat all the way to the front, then looking on the floor underneath and ejecting the disc). If so, this is really dismaying, 'cause it means the latest Nav is just as flawed as the 6.1 I have- and they have the nerve to charge $180 for a few useless updates, that brings if from 60% of what every other Nav software that didn't re-invent the wheel (Zenrin thinks that having their people go out and re-survey the country, instead of using the 100% complete data that's already out there, is some sort of Great Thing- turns out that was a crock, eh?) to 80%.

Yeah, Brad(ical) knew this was coming. :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
I just got the 6.3 version as well and boy, it made no difference compare to 6.2. For some reason, the school i go to (University of San Francisco) still nowhere to be found in the navi and a freeway ramp (for those of you in the SF Bay Area, it is the ramp off north 101 at the oak st. exit) that was demolished few yrs ago still exist. Zenrin sucks period!!

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
i like one thing about the zenrin and that is the birdview. other than that, its it PIA. ever notice that the joystick doesnt work worth a **** when you are moving ? another odd thing is that mine fails to recalc routes sometimes and gets HUNG in a state of perpetual recalculation....this is all happening ridiing on I-267 and I-66 in DC! :shock:

any dc folks try this test if you live out in NOVA area and are ever heading to alexandria or old town. plot a trip to alexandria. drive down the toll road ALL the way to where it merges with I-66. the zenrin is going to want to take you onto 66W and then I495, but instead, continue around I66 east heading toward the city. it CANNOT recalc the route from 495 to I-66...major roads...and gets hung in a recalc mode indefinately!

bitching aside, its still nice to have an arial view of where you are for taking alternate routes....i guess its from reading all of those old aeronautical charts in the past :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I live in a 30+ years old neighborhood and it just pissed me off the the nav always tells me that my house is on the other side of the street. I went to Frontier Infiniti on Steven's Creek and they've got the worst service. They basically said "Since it's only your house, we can't do anything" I've only had my car for less then 1 week, 2005!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts