Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone looking to make their headlight housings look as clear as possible, here are a couple options for the signal bulbs:

http://www.cardomain.com/item/PILXC7440A

and

http://www.matrixracing.com/BI522Sub.htm

I haven't had good experiences with Pilot bulbs. I know the others are much more expensive, but they carry a lifetime warranty and are gauranteed not to fry your harness, so I think I'll give those a shot. I also e-mailed SuperbrightLEDs a couple weeks ago and they said that sometime in the future (said it would be at least a couple months), they would make a 7440 LED bulb that looks clear but flashes amber.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I had the APC chrome bulbs. I've had very bad luck with them.... they kept losing contact (didnt fit correctly) and when I tried to make them fit snug, the bulb actually broke away from the base. If anyone finds a good bulb, please keep me in the loop. I recommend against APCs.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just ordered the Stealth Bulbs, so we'll see how they do. As stated above, they come with a lifetime replacement warranty from the manufacturer, who also claims they will not screw up your wiring harness and that they will have no fitment issues. I'll be sure to post pics when I get them.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Xenon 7440 Chrome/Amber Turnsigs NO Good!

I've just received the 7440 Xenon Chrome/Amber from Racerwheel.com.

Don't waste your time and money on these! Even though they appear to be engineered better than stock bulbs, the molded ABS base of these 7440s do not fit our FXs. I've just ordered a new set of Stealth 7440s from Matrix Racing which I should have by the middle of next week (awaiting PIAA Super Spark Blues 7500K fogs to ship together). The bases look identical to stock in the web pics. I'll keep those interested updated!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello: new member here! What a pleasant surprise to find this site. My first question. Can anyone give me the best way to change out the turn signal bulbs? It looks like a major disassembly to get to the far corners! I wouild like to put in the chromed 7440"s. Thanks

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll post up simple instructions when I install, but I think as long as you have good reach, you can do it without disassembling anything, except perhaps the airbox.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got my Stealth Bulbs and installed them. They look great!

I'll start by going through the install procedure. They were pretty easy to install, though I have pretty long, skinny forearms. I didn't have to dissasseble anything, though some may find it easier to do the driver's side one if they remove the airbox. The sockets are kind of hard to see; if you get your head down and look back there, you see a socket, but it's actually the sidemarker socket. The signal bulb is kind of recessed on the other side of the HID location. Just turn the socket counter-clockwise to unlock and pull it out. The amount of slack in the wiring limits how far you can pull it, but I was able to get it far enough out to swap the bulbs. Installation is reverse of removal. These pics show it's location:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Before pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Before pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
436 Posts
Just installed mine, good thing I got small hands and wrist, so I dont have to remove anything. I bought the pilots and the "rail" on the bulb is wider than the "rail guides" on the socket so I have to scrape it a little in order to fit.

I should have gotten the stealth brand. As MGFR said it looks good. :twisted:

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Comparison pics. Left is stock, right w/ Stealth Bulb: As you can see by the last pic, the Stealth bulb is not as bright as the stock one, but it is bright enough to do what it's supposed to. IMO, the stock ones are REALLY bright, maybe to compensate for the brightness of the HIDs. I didn't look at them or take pics w/ the headlights on; I'll try to do that soon.

Now if only Mushutofu would take the leap and figure out how to clear out the sidemarker reflectors...

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Looks good but I would be concerned about safety.
Wonder if oncoming traffic can see your signal on a really bright day.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tomorrow, I'll try some to get some shots with the lights on and I'll also compare their brightness to those on other vehicles. It's hard to capture in the pictures, but I'd say the Stealth Bulbs are ~60-70% as bright as the stock ones and are sufficienty bright, IMO.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Punisher said:
Wonder if oncoming traffic can see your signal on a really bright day.
Good point Punisher, but the sad truth (at least in my experience in the NY/NJ and LA areas) is that probably less than 50% of drivers even signal any more... and 50% coming in the other direction wouldn't be paying attention even if you were. :?

MGFR - looks nice!

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ShadyJC said:
...the sad truth (at least in my experience in the NY/NJ and LA areas) is that probably less than 50% of drivers even signal any more... and 50% coming in the other direction wouldn't be paying attention even if you were. :?
Heh, good point; pretty much that way around here as well. I observed other cars this morning on the way in to work and these bulbs are at least as bright as most other cars' on the road. As I stated earlier, our stock bulbs seem to be brighter than average.

If max. visibility is your concern, then it may be something to consider, but as with most cosmetic light upgrades, there are trade-offs (like the 10k HIDs not actaully putting out as much light as the stock bulbs). I wanted to get as much of the amber appearance out of the headlights as possible, while still staying legal and flashing amber (as opposed to others that put blue tinted white bulbs in their turn signals). These are the best choice for what I wanted.

Again, I'll try to get some more pics this evening and I also have a light meter that I'll try to measure the light output as compared to stock (not sure how easy it'll be to get a reading, though, since they'll be flashing).

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
I like the color of the bulb when installed in the socket but do they have the chrome bulbs that shine clear or white instead of amber.

Jim

1 - 20 of 29 Posts