Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good news, they work... :? Something I guess we wish we never had to verify.

How I found out, I was in an accident on the way home tonight - my poor FX! :cry: A 20 year old girl with 2 friends ran a stop sign and broadsided me in a Pontiac Grand Am, caused pretty serious damage to my entire right side. *sigh* Stupid California drivers! :evil:

If anyone has any recommendations for a good body shop in the LA area I'm taking names. Kenny? Dave L.?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
OMG! So sorry to hear that. Everybody ok? Man, that's always aweful to hear, esp. from one of our "family". How bad is the damage?

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
OMG! :shock:

I am glad you are all okay.

Are you sure you want it repaired? I would go for "that it is totalled", that would be less stressful than repair.

I am so sorry my heart goes out to ya.

:cry:

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Hope everything turns out ok, before you get your FX checked out you should have yourself checked too, since it sounds like preety hard hit to the fx.

Jim

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the kind words everybody, I am ok. I can honestly say that the FX is a friggin tank. I did not need it to save my life but now I know that it abosolutely can if god forbid the situation ever arises.

Here are some pics of the damage, I took the Grand Am at almost a 90 degree angle and she was probably doing 35 mph.

These first 3 pics show what appears to be mostly cosmetic damage to the passenger side doors, which would be relatively easy to pop new doors in. BUT - I need help and advice. What exactly would make an insurance company say the car is "totalled"? Look for a very telling pic in this series which shows damage to the actual frame of the car on the lower part of the B-pillar... is this repairable???

Attachments

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interior shots of the side and top air bags. Oddly, I received several nice comments from one of the police officers that came on scene about the car iteself, the safety features including the airbags - said they had never seen airbag deployments like the FX had.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, here is where I think I am in trouble. There appears to be damage to the chassis of the car itself, primarily in the base of the B-pillar but also to the frame of the car behind the rear passenger door. I don't know if this is repairable or not? Any opinions?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One more pic, noticed that the curtain airbags, front and back, appear to have broken some plastic stuff in the A-pillar and the C-pillar where it broke out.

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident and from the pics, it doesn't look like your FX will be anywhere near total...

After seeing these pics, i am very impressed with the safety features in the FX and the way the airbags are deployed simply looks like they will protect the passengers really well....do your research and hopefully you will find a good body shop that can take care of the damages...good luck..

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Those are horrible. :(

That is going to take a lot to fix. :cry:

New seat, headliner, sidecurtain bags, doors, straighting the frame, all the little stuff, alignment of car, a piller, b piller. :cry:

Check your sunroof out to.

I would fight hard to get it totalled, especially since it will be on her insurance not yours. Insurance companys like to get there competors.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
ShadyJC said:
BUT - I need help and advice. What exactly would make an insurance company say the car is "totalled"?
It's considered totaled if the cost of repair matches or exceeds a percentage of the market value for the car. Your car is probably worth around $30K and I doubt the repair costs will come that close. The airbags will be very expensive though. Reputable repair shops can make it look perfect again. Best of luck to you!

Oh, here's a link that might be of interest: How Auto Insurance Companies Total Your Vehicle After You Total Your Vehicle

·
Registered
154 Posts
Wow, those air bags are extremely impressive. I never knew the side airbags extend to the rear.

Sorry to hear about your accident and I hope your car is repaired competently.

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Well, at least try for totalled.

Way back I had a Hyundai and crashed is 3 mths after I got it. The car was worth 12k and it took 10k to fix it. But they said they had to fix cause it was my accident on my policy. It would have been better if someone hit me then they would have totalled it.

Just keep telling them, you did not cause this accident.

·
Registered
70 Posts
hey shady.. sorry to hear about your misfortune! :(

at the end of the day whats important is that your okay! but it is sad to see what happend to the fx.

good luck with the repairs bro.

·
Registered
882 Posts
from the looks of it they will not total your car.
Usually you need chasis damage or have your roof caved in from a roll over to have your car totalled.
Glad to hear your ok. Thanks for the pics. I wanted to know what the deployed airbags looked like.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
ShadyJC said:
If anyone has any recommendations for a good body shop in the LA area I'm taking names. Kenny?
First off, ****, ****, ****!

The name of the body shop I like is in Thousand Oaks, though. If you still want the name, let me know. When that concrete garage-support pillar jumped out at me last Spring I had some damage to the door area somewhat similar to yours (if not so severe- go find that thread from before) and they fixed it to be as good as new- it was undetectable.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Shady, I'm sorry to hear about the accident.

As several said above, I don't think your FX will be considered "totalled" but you will need to find a good bodyshop. Most bodyshop would wanna fix cosmetic damages and you'll need to emphacize "post accident" damages that could occur.

My 300ZX TT was hit hard from behind at 55mph and rear frame, bumper and other cosmetic stuff were replaced. However, after that, my front panel got loose, two radio swtiches fell off and driver seat came loose. Make sure to check out other "non-contacted" area.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts