Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here. I am currently looking to buy a new car. FX has been a longtime prospect because they look so cool. Also considering G35 coupe/sedan, Acura TL, and even EVO VIII MR. Can any of you help me out there with why you went with an FX if you were also considering options like mine above? Also, are there any common or chronic problems with FX35's I should be aware of or problems with the other vehicles I listed above? If I buy an FX, it will be fully loaded with nav and everything...Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Due to an employee lease program, I had already decided I would get a Nissan/Infiniti product. Liked the G35c, but a little too small (I'm 6'3"), plus backseat is useless in my opinion. Considered G35s, but already have a 4-dr car. Down to Murano/FX35 - I preferred the FX based on exterior looks alone. I also like the interior better even though the Murano seems to have more room and a more useable cargo area.

Got the FX a month ago and haven't looked back.

With the options you are considering (all cars except the FX), a G35 might be better suited - or at least closer in performance!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
First welcome to the group 8)

Second; what to buy depends on what you need/want. I'd recommend you first decide between a lower-sitting sedan vs. a higher-sitting SUV. My previous ride was an '02 Acura TL-S and for my next car I decided I wanted a higher sitting SUV. Still wanted something sporty and the FX won out - styling and value were major plus.

Had I stayed with a lower-sitting sedan it would have been the new TL.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Welcome to the board. Where do you hail from, if I may ask?

If you want snappy performance, near sport sedan-like handling, room for your stuff, pretty luxurious interior and cool looks all rolled into one, the FX is it (oh, and the Tech package toys are great)! I bought a G35 coupe 6MT and traded it for my FX after only three months; got tired of not having enough space and sitting so low to the ground. The FX is plenty quick, handles nearly as well, puts you higher up, has lots more space and looks bada$$. Didn't consider an Acura at all b/c they're front wheel drive; just doesn't cut it if you're into true performance. I looked at the STi and Evo, but just couldn't get over the looks; just not into the rally car thing. They're scary fast, but a different beast altogether and lacking on the comfort/luxury side to be sure. The FX truly is the best of both worlds; a sports car with a backpack. 8)

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
the only "real" issue that some of us have is the grapite seats on the 03 and 04 model years. the leather tends to wrinkle and bubble. i say "real" issue as this is about the only thing that infiniti hasnt been quick to fix via a TSB. if you want graphite, id wait for an 05 to come in :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
These type's of theads should be called "convince me that I should buy "X" car." That said, welcome to the group. :D

Our previous SUV, which is my current DD is a lifted V8 Grand Cherokee w/32" tires, 3" exhaust from y-pipe to tailpipe, free flow cat,FIPK kit, I call it the beast. The Mrs. wanted something with a little less redneck---I wanted something with true performance and that could be modded. Looked at the X3 but kept going back to the FX. Must says it all... :idea:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the quick replies already so far and thanks for the welcome! FYI, I'm in Redondo Beach, CA. Just a little info about me and this buying decision...I like to be unique and all the cars I've owned have shown this in the past ($10K sound in my IASCA 84 Supra back in the 80's, Flossed out 4-door-mild show winning Integra currently). For me utility is secondary. I don't really need an FX and the extra room it offers. I'm considering one because they just look so **** cool. However, performance is also important to me (a friend recently test drove a FX45 and was disgusted by how "gutless" it was so he bought an S4 Audi station wagon, lol). I'm not as picky as he is, but I would like a vehicle with some serious grunt, especially in the low end. FX45 just doesn't seem worth the extra $5-10K for a measly extra 35 ponies, sure the exhaust note might be better, but for the price there's a lotta new things around the corner ready to kick ass I think (new lexus gs, infiniti m45, acura rl). Plus those are all kinda out of my price reach anyway. The G35 seems good this year since they redesigned the interior dash (I hated the previous look) so that might get serious consideration and the TL is really plush and has beautiful integration but those nimrods at Honda made it front drive and A-spec package costs an arm and a leg. You can't even get the brembo's with the auto, even if you do the A-spec :evil: (Acura really doesn't want my business). Anyways, there's some background on me. I think I'm gonna test drive an FX today as well as a G coupe (I like 298 horses!) and as long as the FX has some decent go power, it will still be in the running. Please tell me your thoughts...

·
Registered
882 Posts
If I could buy my car all over again honestly, I would NOT buy an FX...quite frankly I will never ever buy an infiniti again.

That being said my FX has its little bugs here and there and the quality of the vehicle that costs what it does is not that good. :roll:

oh well

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mushu, can you provide more details? specific/chronic problems or poor quality in general? What year is yours? FX35 or 45?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Sounds like you're on the right track and since it appears your no stranger to mods, I would suggest the FX35; plenty of bolt-ons that'll keep you grinning as ownership continues and still be considerably less than the '45, with better milage (big consideration in your neck of the woods, I'd imagine). I'd also recommend the RWD '35; quicker, lighter and snappier than the AWD.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a lot MustGo (killer avatar too, btw :twisted: ).

Do the Infiniti dealers offer any kind of upgrade service such as suspension/exhaust mods, etc.? I know Acura does and that's appealing to me from a package financing and warranty voiding p.o.v.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also, btw, has anyone figured out if the front nav screen on the FX's can be mod'd to allow dvd's to play on the front screen, either from the factory dvd player or an aftermarket one?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Zeo said:
Mushu, can you provide more details? specific/chronic problems or poor quality in general? What year is yours? FX35 or 45?
I second that...i would not buy another infiniti product again since i felt that they do not care about their customers and the quality of the product does not justify the premium price...

Read the graphite seat post in the interior problem section and you will know where i am coming from.

But honestly, if you are looking for a sports car like suv that is 95% cayenne or x5 in terms of performance for $10k less, FX is gonna be your best bet..

Lastly, welcome to the board...

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have the FX35...

Interior quality sux
1. Graphite leather is serious POS! Wrinkles(unavoidable i know), bubbles, rough appearance.
2. My dam seats still pmakes a popping noise even after 3 attempts at correcting this proble...I've given up and so I drive around my my music tuned up (consequently my ears are going bad!)
3. If you look at the interior plastic trim they don't line up. There are a lot of gaps between plastic panels. Just horrible. I've checked out other FX's and they all have that.
4. Brakes squeek when cold..wtf how much does this car cost?
5. Armrest rattles like a bizatch but I fixed it with some black rubber weather strip from home depot.

Pros...
AS Davezaristo mentioned the car is very sporty and handles extremely well.
Descent power for an SUV but those HP number are all at the Crank. We have ~28% drive train power loss...WTF? (This was calulcated from previous posts with people's dynos)
Not too many on the raod so you still get looks!
And it looks hot!

Oh yeah...welcome to the board...there a lots of people here with good advice and car knowledge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Dave and Mushu for the heads up. I've read the interior section and only found 2 threads regarding leather problems(graphite leather bubbling and seat dents). I still don't quite understand why this happens though. From the posts, it sounds like only the graphite colored leather is having problems? If this is true, does anyone know why the other colors don't have problems? Also, it sounds like the 05 with perforated leather is supposed to correct the bubbling? Is this an A$$umption or has it been proven? Thanks so much for the info on the quality problems. My local dealer is South Bay Infiniti in Torrance...has anyone had good/bad experiences with them for either purchasing or servicing ?

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
I plead the fifth :-#

·
Registered
320 Posts
...and the quality of the product does not justify the premium price...
I will agree that the quality is not up to a $40K or $50K vehicle. I liked the way the vehicle handles...I chose only RWD and Tour and got it les than 34K. I felt it was more representative of a $30 -35K vehicle. I will add on mods as time and $$ afford.

Better advice would be to pickup a used 03 as the residual is falling through the floor...but its unAmerican not to but a new Auto :wink:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Funny, If this guy's first post was: "Tell or explain to me the bubbling seat thing." I sure the first reply would have been ---use the search... :roll: What gives?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I think your feedback will vary greatly depending on who you ask. The people with graphite leather problems or bad dealer experiences have valid points to be sure, but don't read too much into it. The general vibe I get here is that the mojority LOVES their FX.

To offer my own perspective, I have the brick interior, which is awesome, I had the seat click, but it was fixed by the TSB and has been solid and silent since, I think the interior quality is great and notice absolutely nothing displeasing whatsoever. Sure, the center console rattled, but that was an easy fix with a little adhesive backed felt. My dealer is great and has always been very careful with my car; I have a great relationship with them. Sure, if you came from a Lexus or some other luxury brand, you may notice certain things, I guess, but I came from Hondas and Nissans; this is by far the nicest, best fitted, most solid, great performing car I have ever owned. I've had no issues whatsoever, save for a couple of minor items that were taken care of very quickly per TSB.

Funny you mentioned you didn't really need the extra space. I don't either; I rarely carry passengers or cargo; it's nice to have the extra space when you do want it. I don't feel the car's performance on the road is burdened or hindered by having the extra bulk, so I don't mind it being there and it's just great looking.

To answer your questions:
Most dealers won't install mods, but if you have a good relationship with your service dept, they won't give you a hard time over them, either. Mods cannot void your warranty unless they prove it is the mod that caused the problem and the bolt-ons available for the '35 are pretty much proven by now and simple inatke and exhaust stuff won't cause issues anyway. I have several mods and all the guys at my dealership love to check them out.

Yes, it is possible to make the DVD play on the nab screen up front, as well as a couple other neat tricks to be had in this dept. I have the mods on my car.

Check your PM in a few.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I'm Livin' Large 'n Lovin' the heck outta my KITI. Havin' FUN customizin' her, moddin' her drivin' her (well my it's my wifes' DD) and just plain ol' lookin' at her! :D Only 8 in our county/so everyone else looks too/wife gets compliments Everyday :shock: Ain't She Sweet!!! This is our 1st high end vehicle, we're still under 4000mi. & my dealer is off the hook - Fantastic! (pre-buying, in writing negotiations / + drop off-pick up loaners for W. work or LOF) & in 2 1/2 years she's all ours! 8) Not sorry for being so refreshingly positive, but even if it cost 100 & $40,000 people would still find fault. :? Negativity breeds negativity. Accentuate the Positive! :) Love Life Baby!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts