Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started the pumpkin up yesterday and had the Service Engine Soon, VDC off, and Slip lights come on and stay on. Turned the FX off and on and just the Service soon light came back on. Dropped it off today to have them check it out. Their diagnosis: Bad throttle sensor causing the lights to come on. Had to order it so I'll be bringing it back. They reset the code and it has not come back on (yet) :? . Read about this on FA but the only diagnosis people reported were "electrical gremlins".

As far as the one time only knocking upon startup noise, they said "no noise heard". Well DUH! Idiots :x . They were all gone when we picked it up so I'll have to wait to see what they say about that.

·
Registered
706 Posts
johnmax,

I had the exact same problem about 3 mos ago when I started it up after working out at the gym. I drove it home and restarted a few times and the VDC / SLIP light went out but the Service Soon light stayed on. I did the ECU reset procedure and everything has been fine since.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We started it up many times since it happened, but the SES light would not go away. I didn't want to clear the code so Infiniti could check it and see if there was a problem.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I hear ya on clearing the code. My thoughts were that if something was wrong it would happen again and would throw a new code. You may not have to go back for the sensor if it doesn't happen again.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm gonna have them change it. Hate to be in the middle of one of my Formula One inspired passes and then have no throttle :shock: .

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
As for restarting several times in the hopes it will go away: it won't. Once the MIL has been triggered, it stays on regardless of whether or not the problem still exists until you reset it.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
As for restarting several times in the hopes it will go away: it won't. Once the MIL has been triggered, it stays on regardless of whether or not the problem still exists until you reset it.
Is this different from (at least) GM cars, where after 50 (or so) no-fault starts the MIL turns off?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Oh, I don't know about that; that's a lot of restarts to see if it was a one time glitch or not. Best to reset, then restart and see if it comes back on; then you know.

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
FXLENT said:
I had the exact same problem about 3 mos ago when I started it up after working out at the gym. I drove it home and restarted a few times and the VDC / SLIP light went out but the Service Soon light stayed on. I did the ECU reset procedure and everything has been fine since.
yesterday this happened to me...
after restarting/driving/off several times, the vdc/slip lights went out but the service light stayed on. I'll try to reset the ecu tommorow night after exams..... hopefully nothing serious is going to happen :(

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
if you are getting lights on the dash. i would take it in and have them pull the codes with consult. there might be something happening that you dont know about.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
You might wanna look at your break fluid level. I know this happens on G's and one of the common reasons is low break fluid level. Worth a try.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Funny thing!

My light came on today just like yours, guys! However, I don't have the SES light, only VDC and SLIP. I restart and they go away. They show up at random, I have not found any pattern.
I was at the dealer for an oil change and told them about it (they were OFF that time), they couldn't find anything wrong. As I was leaving the dealer the lights came on! So I showed the service consultant.
I have to make an appointment to take it back since I really had to leave...

Where were the resolutions you guys came up with?

·
Registered
789 Posts
I had my TB replaced with those symptoms. Then found out I had water entering through the firewall, down the 4 gauge power line running to my amp, and soaking my engine control unit.
Fixed the leak and have had no problem since.

·
Registered
325 Posts
GAZZZAN said:
Funny thing!

My light came on today just like yours, guys! However, I don't have the SES light, only VDC and SLIP. I restart and they go away. They show up at random, I have not found any pattern.
I was at the dealer for an oil change and told them about it (they were OFF that time), they couldn't find anything wrong. As I was leaving the dealer the lights came on! So I showed the service consultant.

Gazzzan: I have the same experience before, VDC and slip light came on suddenly but after restart they go away. I dont have SES light on too...It happened several times already. So what did your dealer say?

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
e39ng said:
GAZZZAN said:
Funny thing!

Gazzzan: I have the same experience before, VDC and slip light came on suddenly but after restart they go away. I dont have SES light on too...It happened several times already. So what did your dealer say?
Still haven't taken to the dealer yet (was out of town on about 1K mile drive in 2.5 day)! And they somehow stop showing up in last 3 days.
I'll keep you informed if they find anything.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Looks like I'm having the same problems with my '05 FX35 AWD. I've got 12K mile on it. The car is stock, so no way any kind of aftermarket part could cause this. I drove the car 4 miles this morning and parked it to run into a store. Came back out 20 minutes later, started it up, and SES, SLIP, and VDC OFF lights were on and stayed on. It certainly went into LIMP mode, until I got to the end of the parking lot. I decided to restart. After the restart, only the SES stayed lit and it was no longer in LIMP mode.

I'll have to find a dealer to take this in. So based on this forum, the problem could be:

1. Bad alternator
2. Wet ECU (unlikely since my ECU did not get wet)
3. Low brake fluid level
4. Bad throttle sensor

Hopefully, it will be fixed under warranty.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I think there are different issues here in this thread.

some don't have SES showing up just SLIP AND VDC, also my car didn't didn't loose any power (it felt just fine).

The funny thing is that after 2 weeks of coming and going they are all gone without any fix. :?:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had similar thing happen to my '04 fx35 - I filled up and a day later all my lights lit up on the dashboard.

I was lucky to be across the street from my Infiniti dealer @ the time and they told me they had many people come in b/c of the new ethonal mixes in the grades (10%) were messing with the fuel sensors or something (wasn't paying much attention at the time).

They ordered new ones and in 2 days I had it back, good as new. No problems since.

Did anyone else have it explained that way? Also, they said the ethonol knocks up the octane level by +2 which caused the burnout - sound right to anyone?

·
Registered
468 Posts
johnmax said:
Started the pumpkin up yesterday and had the Service Engine Soon, VDC off, and Slip lights come on and stay on. Turned the FX off and on and just the Service soon light came back on. Dropped it off today to have them check it out. Their diagnosis: Bad throttle sensor causing the lights to come on. Had to order it so I'll be bringing it back. They reset the code and it has not come back on (yet) :? . Read about this on FA but the only diagnosis people reported were "electrical gremlins".

As far as the one time only knocking upon startup noise, they said "no noise heard". Well DUH! Idiots :x . They were all gone when we picked it up so I'll have to wait to see what they say about that.
Hey guys...haven't had this happen on my FX at all, but had it happen twice when I had my 03 G35c...it was after about a year of having it...turned out to be a TSB for the G...same diagnosis, "Their diagnosis: Bad throttle sensor causing the lights to come on." Not sure about the FX, but seems as though it's the exact same thing...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts