Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I just bought a 2008 FX35 and have a quick questions. This is my first post and I am curious if the sensitivity of the auto lights are adjustable. I like having them set to automatic so they go off on their own at night when I leave the car. My car seems to not register brightness and turns the lights on when I barely enter a shady area and then even with direct sunlight they don't immediately turn off. I like driving at night with my fogs on, so it looks a little odd to be driving around with all my lights on during the day.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

·
Premium Member
10,645 Posts
Mine have been overly sensitive since day one. Had the dealer check it a long time ago and they didnt see a problem. I tested by timing how long they take to go on when the sensor was covered with min and max sensitivity and there was pretty much no difference. Oh well.. :roll:

There are settings in the vehicle settings menu- take a look and try them out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
What makes me so mad about this is the phrase in the Users Guide for my 2012 FX. It says basically not to run the HID lights for short periods of time because it will greatly negatively impact their lifespan. If I leave the lights on "Auto" they ALWAYS start the second I drive into my garage during the daytime, no matter how bright it is outside. In other words, they are doing exactly what it says NOT to do in the manual. And they stay on until I can close all my doors, even though I have my timeout set to 0.

So I have to manually switch my lights between Auto and Off depending on the conditions, which is even MORE annoying then if they had a simple ON/OFF switch.

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
anog said:
What makes me so mad about this is the phrase in the Users Guide for my 2012 FX. It says basically not to run the HID lights for short periods of time because it will greatly negatively impact their lifespan. If I leave the lights on "Auto" they ALWAYS start the second I drive into my garage during the daytime, no matter how bright it is outside. In other words, they are doing exactly what it says NOT to do in the manual. And they stay on until I can close all my doors, even though I have my timeout set to 0.

So I have to manually switch my lights between Auto and Off depending on the conditions, which is even MORE annoying then if they had a simple ON/OFF switch.
I've been driving my FX for about 50k miles now and it is always parked in the garage. I have the same issue with my headlights going on for a minute or so when I start the car and drive out and a minute or so when I pull into the garage and they turn themselves off. I know it says not to let the lights illuminate for short periods of time but it doesn't matter to me. You have the same issue when you drive under longish overpasses where, in that csae, they come on for only about 5 seconds when you're driving at speed. That can't be good either. Are you supposed to turn the lights off auto before pulling into the garage? Are you supposed to turn them off auto before going under an overpass? Are you supposed to turn them off before starting the car to pull out of the garage? Personally, there are WAY better things to be worrying about than the longevity of my HIDs. I have another car with 210k miles on it and the only reason I had to replace the bulbs was because my brother-in-law decided to fiddle with it. And that car always had the lights coming on for a short period.

You know, there is an alternative if you really and truly are worried... don't use auto! Keep your stalk set to OFF and then, when you need headlights.... um.... well, do what we always used to do, turn them to ON

·
Premium Member
10,645 Posts
As ive said above, my lights seem to come on very easily, then flip off as soon as I leave the underpass. Also lots of starting in the garage and exiting like Kieran. That said, my FX has 137K and the original headlight bulbs. Way more than I ever would have expected.

So dont worry about those bulbs :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys,

I just bought a 2008 FX35 and have a quick questions. This is my first post and I am curious if the sensitivity of the auto lights are adjustable. I like having them set to automatic so they go off on their own at night when I leave the car. My car seems to not register brightness and turns the lights on when I barely enter a shady area and then even with direct sunlight they don't immediately turn off. I like driving at night with my fogs on, so it looks a little odd to be driving around with all my lights on during the day.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Just make sure you are not covering the sensor on your dashboard. There are two circles like a quarter coin looking things, those are the sensors that triggers the headlights on when is dark. That worked for me. Mom be wasn’t working because I’m using a dashboard cover on mi 2008 fx35. I just cut out a hole on the cover and Done. I hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts