Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:evil: I am posting to see what, if anything, anyone has done to adress this problem. Someone broke into my car for the second time in 6 months using a screwdriver hammered into the drivers door lock, then turning it to lower all of the windows. The first repair cost $3500 for parts and painting; the second will run about $1,500. According to the Infiniti body shop, this is happening a lot. Today, when I dropped the car off at 1 PM, he had already received 2 other cars with the same breakin problem. In addition, he also had 2 other cars with stolen headlights--a $9,000 repair!

The last time this happened, I called Infiniti to see if this function can be turned off, but it can't, you see, "it is a design feature, not a flaw". So, I have a car I cannot take anywhere as any kid with a screwdriver can get into the car easy. I was told they are looking for a valet key in the car to steal it, not trying to steal items that may (or may not) be visible through the windows.

Even if I find a way to defeat the auto down function, the thieves will still think they can do it and damage the car. Therefore, I feel I must get rid of the vehicle even though I do like it. I have been tempted to contact a lawyer--if this is happening in large numbers like this body shop seems to say--maybe a case can be made to get them to take back the car, or a class action type of deal. This is not what I want to spend time doing, but Infiniti is not stepping up to the plate to address the issue. This is wide spread on all of their cars, especially the G series from what I am told. Now that the headlights are becoming a key target--he said 50 cars last month(!), I see owning this cars as a financial liability.

Thoughts anyone??

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
a lot of cars have this function now. i know that VWs, hondas, and toyotas(lexus) just to name a few. on all of them you can use the remote fob OR put the key in the door and do the turn turn and hold thingy.

where do you live BTW?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In New Jersey

The two break in's occured 60 miles apart in different cities. Neither are urban locations, but upscale communities.

·
Registered
441 Posts
This is the first time I have heard about the screw driver & window trick...it sucks but we're all in the same boat...Its funny the im sure
Infiniti didn't even think that would be a problem..Lets face it if they want it they will take it.....sorry to hear about this problem.
hang in there and don't let the thieves win...they better not let me catch them because I will slam there hands in the door..
Phil

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
keng said:
The last time this happened, I called Infiniti to see if this function can be turned off, but it can't, you see, "it is a design feature, not a flaw".
Not true. There's a wire that connects the "key turned to the unlock position" that's cuttable, at least it was on the G. It's documented on FA somewhere, you'd have to do a check.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
I guess that would help keep them out, but they would still hammer the screwdriver into the lock causing expensive damage because you have to find a way to let them know it won't work ahead of time. That way they just break your windows instead. ::roll:

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Right, that's why you need the cover; it then appears that there is no key-hole at all and throws them off. Just make sure you stash an extra fob battery somewhere in case it dies, otherwise you have no way to get in the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
key hole cover

The cover on the key hole sounds interesting--I checked the post that mentioned this but did not see how and what can be done to actually do this.

Does anyone know how this can be done?

·
Registered
462 Posts
This part about them looking for the valet key kinda scares me. Time to rethink this remote start thing......

·
Registered
599 Posts
What would deter the thief from smashing in the window if he can't open the door through the keyhole if he already damages the car? Other than the noise?

I have the escutcheon thing over my keyhole already but I don't see it really detering anything. It was more of a cosmetic mod for me than a security one. Looks nice! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the only apsect I can see is that replacement glass is harder to come by, so I have been told. And asking for it also raises questions. By lowering the windows, they can do what they want, even crawling into the car without setting the alarm off.

But, I do agree, as long as everyone on the street thinks it can be done, they will try it. Infiniti has to make a change then somehow let the street know about it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This happened to my fx45, exept the thieves jammed a screwdriver into the handle from the top, trying to separate the handle from the door. When I returned to the car, the windows were down, and nothing was stolen from the inside. I guess they wanted the whole car, or nothing at all.

Now the dealer wants $1700 to repair the damage. Not sure what I'm gonna do yet other than get a second opinion from a body shop on the repair.

Anyone got an alarm sticker on the window, warning thieves? Guess a good visible warning might stop them from even trying.

·
Registered
882 Posts
heres a little trick that I did with my other cars...

Install door handles made for the rear doors (which don't have key holes) onto the front doors. How many of us Really use our keys to open the car?

Not sure how complicated it is on the FX but I did this with my TL and Accord.

BTW, where do you live?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
New Jersey. Interesting idea about the rear door handles though. . .

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
mushutofu said:

Install door handles made for the rear doors (which don't have key holes) onto the front doors. How many of us Really use our keys to open the car?

BTW, where do you live?
That's what they are referring to above. You don't have to replace the entire door handle, only the trim piece end cap that has the key hole in it with one for the rear door that does not. This serves the same purpose.

·
Registered
498 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
mushutofu said:

BTW, where do you live?
That's what they are referring to above. You don't have to replace the entire door handle, only the trim piece end cap that has the key hole in it with one for the rear door that does not. This serves the same purpose.
Can you still pop it off if necessary to get at the keyhole?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Break In...Not Happy and Don't Feel Safe

My FX 35 was broken into today and I am livid! I had no knowledge of the vehicle being so easy to break into. The thieves used a screwdriver to completely override the alarm system and bring down both windows. I am seriously interested in gathering whatever information I can on my rights as a consumer. Didn’t Infiniti know that this ridiculous feature would assist thieves? I wasn’t even informed of the feature when I purchased the vehicle. I also knew nothing about the hot “zeon” lights. I purchased this vehicle thinking it was secure and I would be safe, now I find that I am terrified to even take it out of the driveway.

·
Registered
934 Posts
teresa ...

Lots of cars have that window roll-down feature. All BMWs, Benz, Audi, VW, etc for many years. What was your previous car that it didn't do that?

It's easy to replace the driver keyhole with a cover to deter this.

Where do you live that your car has been broken into SIX times? That's crazy. Are you leaving stuff visible in the car?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts