1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Reminds me when I was about 7 or 8 years old and decided to secretly wash my dad's car for a father's day surprise. Heck, I even washed the engine. He was thrilled that I had made the effort to do this for him. When he started the car, however, it ran like crap; sputtering, shaking and lots of sounds you never want to hear from an engine. He got out, opened the hood, poked around and then asked if I also cleaned the air filter. Well boy did I! I had pushed the garden hose way up inside the intake and turned it on full blast. Oops! :oops:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
:x

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
I think about this when I am changing the oil and adding oil in the filler. Sucks how all that sand/debris collects where the filler cap is. :-x

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
I never do any work to my car, and after reading this, I guess i will take my car to the dealer to do most of the work.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Uh, guys, that thread is a joke. If you bother to read some of the replys, their laughing their asses off at how many other forums that post has shown up on b/c somebody saw it; I guess they get to laugh at us now. Besides, think for half a sec: you gonna suck 13lbs of sand straight into your engine and still have it run? Please; that is the stupidest thing I ever heard.

As for sand and debris accumulating around your filler neck with the potential of getting in your engine when you fill the oil, well, take care of your car. It's common sense to clean the area first. I keep the engine bay as clean as the rest of my car. I really hate it when you see a really nice car and open up the hood to reveal a filthy engine compartment and looks like the owner had never popped the hood in his life

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
As for sand and debris accumulating around your filler neck with the potential of getting in your engine when you fill the oil, well, take care of your car. It's common sense to clean the area first. I keep the engine bay as clean as the rest of my car. I really hate it when you see a really nice car and open up the hood to reveal a filthy engine compartment and looks like the owner had never popped the hood in his life
Uhh sorry MGFR. Will do a better job when washing the Pumpkin! :) I remember when I used to detail cars for a living and clean under the hood of cars. Some of them would not start for hours after washing under there. I guess those frustrating times are stuck in my head and I'm paranoid. I'll include that in today's wash.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
johnmax said:
Uhh sorry MGFR. Will do a better job when washing the Pumpkin! :) I remember when I used to detail cars for a living and clean under the hood of cars. Some of them would not start for hours after washing under there. I guess those frustrating times are stuck in my head and I'm paranoid. I'll include that in today's wash.
Eh, you covered the distributer when you did that, right? There are certain things under the hood you don't want to soak with water (we don't have a distributer, BTW). I don't take the hose under the hood; just do a good wipe job with cloth and cleaner. The FX is actuall prety good about staying clean under there due to the under-cladding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts