Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder what are some of your thoughts on running only summer tires on FX (awd). If you live in a city, there are only a half a dozen of really bad snowy days (with snow accumulated on the roads). For a bigger part of the year the only thing you have to worry about is rain so as long as you get summer performance tires with some good rain traction you should be ok. What do you think? Please advice...

·
Registered
147 Posts
i live in windsor which is across the river from detroit...which is pretty similiar to your weather (minus the wind of course). this is my 1st winter with the fx and so far it has been great!! i have the 18" wheels with stock all season tires. if you drive in "snow" mode it is fine. if you combine that with shutting off the vdc, you can spin it out if you try. :D all in all, these tires are fine for my area.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Your location says you're in Chicago. I'm also in the area. You do NOT want to run a summer only compound during the winter. My Evo has a summer compound tire, and even with only 1 inch of snow on the ground, the car won't stop.

Even if the streets were plowed, the rubber compound is too hard/stiff to grip anything. So if you were to take a highway cloverleaf at any spirited speeds, your car will wash out and either hit the guard rail or end up in the dirt.

The OEM RS-A's blow in the snow, and they're rated as an all season tire. I can't imagine running a summer compound.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice.
Kris

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't know about the stock 18" tires but the stock 20" should not be labeled all season! They are basically summer performance tires and turn hard as a rock below 40F or so. I don't get the line of thinking that it's OK do use them in the winter because if you crawl along in snow mode you can get by. What if you need to do a sudden evasive maneuver or accelerate quickly to avoid a collision? I like to have optimal control summer or winter so the added expense of winter wheels and tires is more than worth it for me.
Oh, the best summer performance tires aren't great in the rain either.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
I don't think you would damage anything but why would you want to do that?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Having lived in the tundra of Minnesota for a few years, I found personally that you need a dedicated winter compound for the lower temps. Anything else is suicide on an SUV.

Did a broad slide when actually driving slow one day, that was enough to change my thinking. NO CONTROL!!! Just sayin....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts