Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's not new, but Ruberized Asphalt is making a huge difference in Phoenix. It makes any car, including a sport FX ride like a dream. The stuff is quiet and smooth. They've been covering up our rough concrete freeways with the stuff. Problem is it's giving inexperienced drivers a false sense of security, thinking they can drive faster and causing worse accidents.

I know that California has used rubberized asphalt. I wonder if other states are using the stuff, and if you have it, what do you think? The big environmental benefit in addition to reducing road noise, comes from using up all those old tires we keep tearing up. Sounds like a Win/Win to me. 8)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I LOVE the stuff and wish they would completely cover the valley! Every day when I transition to/from it I can't even believe the difference.

Once the whole valley is complete, I will be a happy camper. :D

·
Registered
392 Posts
Angela said:
I LOVE the stuff and wish they would completely cover the valley! Every day when I transition to/from it I can't even believe the difference.

Once the whole valley is complete, I will be a happy camper. :D
You guys have ruberized asphalt? I would be happy if they would just fix all the **** holes in the street! The streets here in Chicago are crap!

·
Registered
58 Posts
One of the things I truly do love about Arizona is our roads. I've heard from many people who don't live here, but have traveled through or vacationed here, that we have the best roads in the country.

I certainly don't miss the Minnesota pot holes! :evil:

·
Registered
365 Posts
If only I could say the same for Tucson!! Our roads are the WORST!!

But I totally agree about the rubberized stuff. The difference is like night and day!

·
Registered
527 Posts
You guys in the north will probably never see the rubberized asphalt. Unless of course you travel down south. With the harsh winters requiring plowing, sanding and salt the ra wouldn't hold up.

Would love to see more roads in Austin get it but realistically it probably won't be a majority in my lifetime.

·
Registered
185 Posts
They tried it on one section of I5 up here in Washington and it was nice when it was new, smooth and quite. Problem was that it did not last to long. It got rutted in no time and they had to replace it. I'm guessing that this was 10 to 12 years ago, so they have probably improved it during that time.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks for the info .. I was wondering if RA would last up in the northern climates.

It does surprise me, however, that with all our technology, we can't seem to build a road that can actually last 15-20-30 years without potholes, et cetera.

Yes, yes, I know mother nature is harsh, what with the freezing and thawing of water, breaking up road surfaces. Just surprised no one has created a material that can handle it (that's cheap enough.)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
silverback said:
They tried it on one section of I5 up here in Washington and it was nice when it was new, smooth and quite. Problem was that it did not last to long.
The Rubberized Asphalt they're using in Phoenix has been holding up better than normal asphalt. It is a little more expensive. They wouldn't be covering up brand new concrete freeways with RA if it wasn't going to hold up. I think you're going to see this new RA even up north if it ever warms up enough to apply it. It seems the surface getting the application has to be dry :toothy2: and the outside temp has to be in the 70's or above. :blob6:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.