Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been meaning to ask this...
Is it possible to remove the roof rails from the fx?
Can I or my dealer do this?
Seen pics of fx's (Such as the banner at the top!) without them and think it looks better... plus i have no use for them.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Yes, they can be removed. Once removed there are some finishers that you can buy to cover the holes. The problem is that to do it, you have to remove the headliner (which is hard and even harder to reinstall properly). Therefore, you may want to have the dealer do it for that reason alone (and only if you trust the dealer to do a good job).

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
I ordered my FX without and the vehicle they found in a week had them/mud flaps and cargo liner...no charge.It took 2 months and a call to Infiniti to get them off(2 service departments said removal would void the warrenty,of what? and could not be done anyway...right!

·
Registered
520 Posts
where can you find the caps where the rails were?

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I think I want to go railless. But I'm not entirely sure. So, to have the best of both worlds, I'd rather replace the bolts (under the colored caps) than cut them. That way if I wanted to reinstall the rails, replace the bolts, no prob. :D

Well, in order to remove or replace the bolts, particle was right...

particlefx said:
Yes, they can be removed. Once removed there are some finishers that you can buy to cover the holes. The problem is that to do it, you have to remove the headliner (which is hard and even harder to reinstall properly). Therefore, you may want to have the dealer do it for that reason alone (and only if you trust the dealer to do a good job).
... but the dealer wants a $500 labor charge! :shock: And he noted there might be issues with exact fitting, finger smudges, etc. :(

So... the only cost effective way to go railless is to cut. :?

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
You may be able to sell the rails to save some $$$, although the market may be small. I paid the $500.00 dealer bill and then sold the rails to someone who didn't have them. Net cost to me was about $150.00. That made it worth it, but if you change your mind, you'll have to buy new ones. Just a thought...

·
Registered
779 Posts
I don't know if I am the only one here but I actually like the way FX looks with these rails...

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
I like my rails on, but some one in Taiwan did Chrome theirs and will get it back soon, once its installed back on will post some pics of the chrome rails.

Jim

·
Registered
387 Posts
ShadyJC said:
krzys4 said:
I don't know if I am the only one here but I actually like the way FX looks with these rails...
:hello2: I'm with you, I really like the rails!
Ditto!

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I do too, but I also like Piniti's and others pics railless. That's why I want to be able to swap.

I think what I might do is take the rails off myself, leaving the eight bolts out in the open :shock: and drive around a while, look at the FX from a distance and see if I really like the bald look. If I decide to go railless, then I might go ahead and cut.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
jimsbmw said:
I like my rails on, but some one in Taiwan did Chrome theirs and will get it back soon, once its installed back on will post some pics of the chrome rails.

Jim
The Rails are functional, if you have No Use for them, this'll get 'cha in da mood :D
Happy 1000th Post Jim 8)

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
PINITI-FX said:
jimsbmw said:

Jim
The Rails are functional, if you have No Use for them, this'll get 'cha in da mood :D
Happy 1000th Post Jim 8)
Thanks Piniti, didnt even notice myself of the 1000 post :smilecolros:

Jim

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Took the plunge.

As of two days ago, I'm bald and beeyooteeful.

My caps came in last week. Body shop wanted $75 to cut the bolts. And they gave a 15% chance the roof side moldings might be damaged. $135 apeice. Their technique would be to simply dremel the bolts off.

Sounds easy enough. I have a dremel. I could do that.

There is not enough room to get a cutting blade into the slot without removing the entire molding. That comes off rather easy - just held on by 6 clips. I taped off either side of the molding groove with 2 layers of masking + 2 layers of electrical tape. Then I put some towels around all four sides - just to keep the sparks from burning the roof.

OK, here goes! Steady hand.... Starting to cut. :shock: After trying to cut two of the washers (?) I find out that they can be simply twisted off with a pair of pliers. That left just the bolt stickin' up. Zip, zip, zip. Six more cuts and the job was finished. (Lots o' sparks.) Replace the molding and add the caps.

I think it's a little faster, too. Lower drag? :roll: I'm happy. :D

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Welcome to the club

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Guess I'll throw another plug in for the rails. I think they look great.
Part of the look of the FX in my opinion.

I also like the black better than the chrome -

1 - 20 of 21 Posts