Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have been wondering about this over a year ago...I asked the guy that did my remote start (he wks for the dealer) he said that the electrical system on the FX is a pain if you make a mistake you could cause a bunch of problems..So I still have mine the same way.
Isn't someone on the list an installer...he just was talking about alarms grtpumpkin i think..maybe he can help..
Phil :(

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
That would be me :) . I'll have to check the service manual today. I'll let you guys know.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Looks like the fog light relay is controlled by the CAN data bus. So, looking at the manual, there are 2 ways of doing this.

First, looks like you can use the output from the foglight switch, and use it to turn on the foglamp relay directly, bypassing the BCM. The relay socket wiring is probably difficult to access though.

Or you could take the foglamp switch output, and run it to your own relay. Then cut and hook the white from the right and light blue from the left fog light to the +12 volt output of the relay.

Now I have not checked this info in my FX, but according to the manual diagrams and my experience, these should work. Unfortunately the manual does not state which wire at the combination switch is the foglight circuit. But they all seem to switch only 6 volts, so that may not be enough to trigger a relay. In that case there is a device called a LVT, or Low Voltage Trigger by Peripheral Electronics that would convert that 6v trigger to a 12 volt trigger.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
This is just a question and not a critism...Why do folks have their fogs on in perfectly clear night driving...I have observed this since the advent of factory fogs.I have always run higher power bulbs and wiring,on the FX started with 6oook and went to 8000K and love them and never use fogs and almost never use highs!

After my last back surgery and I could not drive for 4 weeks ,my brother and son would both use the fogs with the lows..just cause we do! Any better clarity on this out there?

·
Registered
441 Posts
John if this can be done with the fogs...can it be done thru the original fog switch on the stalk...or seperate switch must be put in.
Phil

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
I was thinking with the factory switch.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I was thinking the same thing...and that would be the way to do it..
If you come up with a way to do it. And it can be done at a reasonable price I'll come out to your shop. Let me know..
phil

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have rewirwed the fog lights on all my other vehicles by tapping the power for the parking lights, jumpering the connection to the power for the fog lights. I guess this won't work on the FX?

·
Registered
441 Posts
john max -grtpumpkin...is the man if he can figure this out..
Phil :eek:

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
I'm gonna look at it on my FX today or tomorrow. If it looks do-able then I'll let you guys know.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
brnjugfx45 said:
This is just a question and not a critism...Why do folks have their fogs on in perfectly clear night driving...I have observed this since the advent of factory fogs.I have always run higher power bulbs and wiring,on the FX started with 6oook and went to 8000K and love them and never use fogs and almost never use highs!

After my last back surgery and I could not drive for 4 weeks ,my brother and son would both use the fogs with the lows..just cause we do! Any better clarity on this out there?
I don't get it either. Is it just to feel cool? If so, that's OK with me since other people's fogs don't bother me, but is there a practical reason for this?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I think it's just for looks, kinda like people swaping their fog bulbs for something that matches the HIDs; looks good, but not practical for what the fog lights are actually intended for: FOG. I replaced my fog bulbs with PIAA Ion Yellow bulbs and only run them when it's foggy; they are very effective.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The reason for the fogs to work independently from the lights is to have light low under the fog. When the light is high it reflects and makes it hard to see the road.. Also the fogs help when your on dark country roads when light is limited.
phil

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
magician said:
The reason for the fogs to work independently from the lights is to have light low under the fog. When the light is high it reflects and makes it hard to see the road.. Also the fogs help when your on dark country roads when light is limited.
phil
I have to disagree on both counts. Fog lights are not intended to be used alone in foggy conditions with no headlights (at least not ones found as OEM equipement on today's cars). If that were the case, they'd be wired that way to begin with. They put extra light low where you need it in fog and if glare from the headlights even on low beam is a problem, we have the added benefit of being able to adjust our headlights down quite a bit. As for dark country roads, fog lights won't do squat; that's what driving lights are for. They are intended to throw light further straight down the road than your headlights.

How many people interested in this thread are in it for practical purposes? Likely not many; they just want to drive around with only their fogs on and look cool.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Absolutely correct...I admit I was going to pass on this!Our lights also have a very sharp cut off...so if aimed correctly there should be very little thrown back.I see them on perfectly clear nights ...lots of them on?

·
Registered
882 Posts
The TL's had a very easy fog light mod. But it was partly due to the fact that the car had a separate fog light switch. I admit I had it to look cool and I always drive with my fogs on. To each his own.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
204 Posts
Here is the schematics for the from parking/front marker lights

I looked at the ford probe webpage, and the probe does not use the CAN bus to control the lights, so all that is involved in getting the foglights powered is some rewiring, and you can use still use the original fog light control.

With the FX, all the lights are controlled by CAN messages, so the hack will won't be as easy. I don't know if you can retain the use of the stock fog light switch. Let us know...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts