Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear passenger side door lock of my 2005 non-tech FX35 stopped responding right after the warranty expired. Go figure! A couple of weeks later the passenger side lock went. Then it started to get weird. I noticed that if the passenger door were locked, the rear hatch lock would stop responding. I can only lock and unlock the hatch if I unlock the passenger door manually first. After a little research, it seems like it is a common problem among us. At first I was waiting to see if Infiniti would do something for us like fixing the bubbling dash, but living with non-working locks drove me nuts. So instead of waiting for a recall from Infiniti, I decided to get the part and replace it myself. I hope this write-up will help those of us who’s out of warranty and do not want to pay the dealer price to get the locks fixed. The job is easier than I thought. It took me about 2.5 hours to complete, and that’s with a whole lot of self-doubt, going back and forth to the service manual and multiple stops to find the right tools. I am sure that I can finish the job in 1.5 hours if I have to do it again. Here are the procedures.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
1. Pry-open the aluminum faceplate on the handle and the small plastic cover next to the door lock carefully with a flat screwdriver carefully. Remove these three screws. **Try to label or organize the screws so you will know where they come from.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2. Remove the door finisher by pulling it from the bottom then the sides. After all three sides are loose, lift up to remove.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
3. Door finisher pulled out of the door but still connected with some wiring.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4. Remove these cables from the door locks on the finisher.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
5. Remove this harness from underneath the power window switch. There are two other harnesses need to be removed to free the door finisher. There are tabs on these harnesses that you need to push in order to pull them out. Brute force does not work here.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
6. After you put away the door finisher, take out the speaker by removing three screws and the wire harness. You can really see the quality of the Bose speaker here!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
7.Peel this round sticker off carefully. You will need this later. I tore mine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
8. Lower the passenger side window using the driver side switch until you can see the screw holding the window glass through the speaker hole. I used a screw driver first and I stripped the soft brass screw. 10 mm socket works better.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
9. Window glass screw #2. After taking out these two screws, the windows glass can be lift out of the door. This step is a little tricky. You need to lift the corner toward the rear of the car up first then wiggle the glass out of the frame. The glass is cut a certain way so it will clear the frame. Try not to drop the glass!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
10. Take this screw out first then swing the long metal piece down. Remove all the screws ON THE PERIMETER of the black metal plate only and pull the plate out. Don’t worry if it seems to be stuck. Just pry the plate loose slowly and carefully. You do not need to remove any other screws.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
11. After loosening the black plate, I just let it hang there carefully. Try not to strain the wires too much. You can now see the actuator assembly on the right that we need to replace.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
12. The new actuator assembly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
13. Take out the plastic cover and loosen the Torx screw. Don’t worry, the screw will not fall to the bottom of the door. Yes, you do need a Torx driver. Hex driver does not work.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
14. Take the escutcheon out. Now the outside door handle can be removed by pulling then push toward the rear of the car.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
15. Remove this Torx screw.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
16. Now you can take out the piece opposite the outside door handle.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
17. Remove these three Torx screws.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
18. After you unplug this harness, the whole actuator assembly can be removed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
19. The new and the old actuator assembly.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 52 Posts