Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I went to Enterprise on Thursday and rented an FX over the weekend. It was an '05 Fx35, Saphire with Graphite interior.

Impressions:
Definately fun to drive. Handles amazing for an SUV. I like the dash and the gauges. Plenty of room for me...I was able to take home the workbench I received for Xmas, no problem. :D

I was however a little disappointed with the acceleration. Seemed to have a little lag in torque/power until you got it up past about 4500 rpms. On the way back to the rental car company, I raced my wife ('04 V8 4runner) and we were neck and neck. I have a feeling if we would have got past 65 the FX would have started to pull away. This was disappointed since the FX has more torque and horsepower than the 4runner.

All and all I think it is a great SUV. I would really like to try out the Fx45 to see if there is much of a difference...but it is out of my price range.

So before the rental...I was going between a G sedan (not real thrilled about the looks), G coupe and an FX. I have now narrowed it to the coupe or the FX. Choices choices choices!

PS: Just press the gas door to access the tank...I spent a good 10 minutes at the gas station looking for the button inside the car...before I tried the obvious! :roll:

·
Registered
706 Posts
I raced my wife ('04 V8 4runner) and we were neck and neck
Sounds like you need to learn how to drive :oops:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FXLENT Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:37 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
I raced my wife ('04 V8 4runner) and we were neck and neck

Sounds like you need to learn how to drive
Possibly...but if you both floor it at a stop light...there is minimal driver error.

Actually she got a bad start too. I knew the 4runner ran good but I never thought it would run as good as or better than an FX35.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Another good reason to get a 45! :D

·
Registered
599 Posts
The FX has a learning chip in it's shifting and accelerating. Meaning that car will actually adapt the shift points and acceleration map according to how you drive it. Possibly you couldn't outrun the 4runner from the red light because the previous people who rented the FX didn't drive it hard.

If you drive the FX hard all the time, then the shift points and the acceleration settings will be more aggressive.

Just a thought as to why you felt it was a bit sluggish. After a week of driving it hard my FX feels fast and no lag. But if I drive it easy for a week then it does get a bit laggy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Maybe that explains why I feel a slight lag when the tranny shifts to second on a moderate launch? My wife drives the (her) car moderately, I drive this car occasionally, and drive harder. Infiniti service says there are no shifting problems in this car.
Is there any way to overide the training program?
(don't tell the wife, please!)

·
Registered
597 Posts
The trick with learning tranny is that if and when you drive the vehicle like a grandma that's how it'd would start to shift. During my days of driving like Colin McRae the shifting most of the time used to be of a right-now variety. Which soon resulted in my getting a threat-of-license-suspension letter in the mail :oops: . So you can thank whoever it was that was driving the rig before you for that.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Special-FX said:
Is there any way to overide the training program?
(don't tell the wife, please!)
There’s 2 ways that I’ve tried:
1/ I immediately shift to Manual mode, then down gear to which was desire. Then apply the same CONCEPT as step below.

2/ In Auto Mode: Floor it and hold it for about 1 second (wait for the “lazy” trany to down shift) then quickly release it, then immediately floor it again.( don’t worry it won’t snap that hard) This step takes about 1.5 sec. Do it twice simultaneously and THERE YOU GO.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This thread has been most instructive! I just got done with the break-in period and was disappointed when my FX35 didn't give me the acceleration I expected (and that I had experienced in the test drives). I guess I'll just have to persist with the fast starts and they'll get a bit faster on their own. Thanks folks!

·
Registered
285 Posts
rkdiddy said:
...I raced my wife ('04 V8 4runner) and we were neck and neck. ...
Not much of a surprise here.

04 4runner V8 puts out 320 lb/ft of toque and goes 0 to 60 in about 7.15 seconds…

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Ak1za is right.

My FX felt so slow when I first got her and the break-in time was going to kill me.

But after a month and stepping on it at each stop light, she is quite fast now (mods help too). I hated it when I stepped on it and there was not much going, but then it all changed. It is kinda weird.

But I do understand what you felt and it would not always feel that way.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Boris Badenov Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:45 am Post subject: Re: Rented an FX last weekend...my impressions....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rkdiddy wrote:
...I raced my wife ('04 V8 4runner) and we were neck and neck. ...

Not much of a surprise here.

04 4runner V8 puts out 320 lb/ft of toque and goes 0 to 60 in about 7.15 seconds…
Lol...it all makes since now. I had no idea it had that much torque. I knew it ran good and pulled hard but that is awesome. :oops:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Just with the nature of a V8, it's going to beat out a V6 unless the V6 is on a lighter car.

Higher HP of the FX will kick in once the RPMs get up there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
rkdiddy said:
Well I went to Enterprise on Thursday and rented an FX over the weekend. It was an '05 Fx35, Saphire with Graphite interior.

rkdiddy, may I ask where did u rent that 05 FX35 at ??? and how much was the rental ?
I'm here at Socal area too. Enterprise around here only carries 03 04 FXs

1 - 14 of 14 Posts