Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had remote start on the past 2 vehicles I've owned and I miss it. Are there any special concerns about one being installed with the tech package? Anyone in the Boston area have it done and where? Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,645 Posts
Do a search and you will find my many replies on this subject, as I have installed a couple dozen in FX's, including some Fx's from this board. There are a couple of extra wires you need for the tech pkg, but thats about it. You also need an extra mechanical key with transponder that is coded to the car.

I don't know anyone in Boston to help you out. If you ever come to LI I could do it for you. You should look for an experienced shop that has experience with higher end cars like ours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
832 Posts
I asked Tweeter regarding the auto-starter last year and they quoted me $400 for the Viper...not sure which unit, but they said not a problem. The Tweeter store I'm referring to is located on Commonwealth Ave. in Brookline/Boston.

I have the instructions from John and can email you them if you need it or maybe John can supply it to you.

I'm considering doing the auto-starter myself...been to busy with other mods! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
436 Posts
I will have it done on friday, since NE winter can be brutal remote start will help a lot. Like what John said it will need the valet key to the transponder. I would like it to be integrated in my FOB but they said its not worth it, price and range wise($250 installed). I will post another reply when they get it done. The shop is located in Tewksbury just north of Boston. I too have the tech package so we'll see what happens.
If I have the time I would like Johnmax to do the install since he has the expertise do this on our car, but he is just too far away.

Hey john any warnings or aditional install tips that I can say to them so they wont mess up my car?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts
I hear Tweeter store in Nashua, N.H. does some sick installs. They sent a guy ( John ? ) down to Burlington, MA location to work for a few months, but I think he's now gone. Last time I was at B.U. store they had that asian dude-don't recall the name- from Canada running car stereo department. I came looking for A & B for my previous vehicle, and he tried to pin on me and A, and B, and C, and D. I then said - what if I don't like the sound ? He goes - in that case the installer will sit with you and calibirate the system to your liking. For an extra charge, of course. That's after they will have made $4K off me. I then posed same Q to John who said there would be no extra charges of any kind, and that they'll take the time to tweak the system until I absolutely loved it. Needless to say, that was the last time they've seen my face at Commonwealth store.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,645 Posts
fearFX said:
Hey john any warnings or aditional install tips that I can say to them so they wont mess up my car?
Make sure they know to hook up the "key sense" wire. Also if doing an alarm, make sure they tie into the actual individual door pin wires instead of just the domelight wire. That way if you accidentally leave on the map lights, the alarm will not trigger falsely when the car tries to shut them off. Happened on mine and the alarm would false every 20 or so minutes when the wife left the map lights on. The car tries to shut them off, the alarm picks it up, and then they end up staying on again, repeating the cycle. Doesn't happen when you catch the door pins. Aside from that, its pretty straight forward.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
436 Posts
johnmax said:
fearFX said:
Hey john any warnings or aditional install tips that I can say to them so they wont mess up my car?
Make sure they know to hook up the "key sense" wire. Also if doing an alarm, make sure they tie into the actual individual door pin wires instead of just the domelight wire. That way if you accidentally leave on the map lights, the alarm will not trigger falsely when the car tries to shut them off. Happened on mine and the alarm would false every 20 or so minutes when the wife left the map lights on. The car tries to shut them off, the alarm picks it up, and then they end up staying on again, repeating the cycle. Doesn't happen when you catch the door pins. Aside from that, its pretty straight forward.
Got it... thanks. Just remote start install, for now I will take my chances with the factory alarm. Can you tell me how to properly hook the "key sense" wire... just incase they dont know how or where to. Thanks again.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,645 Posts
Tell them to energize it as a second ignition wire. The FX has only one ignition wire at the keyswitch that you use, so depending on your remote starter, you should have a second ignition wire that you can use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rather than donating my valet key to the cause, could I buy an uncut valet key and program it so my vehicle recongizes it and use that? Thanks for the helpful replies. Wish I could make it down your way John, my schedule before the winter is pretty tight. Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,645 Posts
I think to program a blank key you need the CONSULT II CAN bus data scan tool that the dealer uses. You probably need to cut the key inorder to program it, as program usually involves using the new key and turning it on and off a couple of times. If you're concerned about leaving a cut key in your car, just grind the teeth of it down or cut the metal end off completely before putting it in the interface. All you really need is the transponder which is buried in the plastic head.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,645 Posts
it is a small module that your donor key goes into, installed with the remote start. It then transmits the key's transponder signature to the ignition key cylinder via a wire ring installed around it. This lets the vehicle start as it sees a valid transponder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Ahhh...so if I understand you correctly it's an add-on to the remote start, not something that is part of the vehicle!

This is why this site is excellent. Thanks for all the info John, it has made me feel much more comfortable about doing the auto start in the FX.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,983 Posts
johnmax said:
Do a search and you will find my many replies on this subject. Yep, it's all in there! (search)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
436 Posts
Thanks Johnmax.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
436 Posts
Just finished installing the remote start its VALET 562T. It works just fine. Thanks John for the "keysense wire" tip that really help the installer understand the FX. Total cost is $262.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
832 Posts
fearFX said:
Just finished installing the remote start its VALET 562T. It works just fine. Thanks John for the "keysense wire" tip that really help the installer understand the FX. Total cost is $262.
Does this use an additional remote or the stock keyfob?

If it is additional, can you post a pic of it? I would like to see the size compared to our FOB. I'm so used to not taking my remote out of my pocket...spoiled by the tech pkg! :D

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,983 Posts
When you know what the remote looks like, you can envision it in your pocket by feel. Top left button locks/arms, top right unlocks/disarms and bottom right star button-hit twice starts. Size of a half-dollar. I got the 560 Alarm/remote $350 installed!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
436 Posts
infx35 said:
fearFX said:
Just finished installing the remote start its VALET 562T. It works just fine. Thanks John for the "keysense wire" tip that really help the installer understand the FX. Total cost is $262.
Does this use an additional remote or the stock keyfob?

If it is additional, can you post a pic of it? I would like to see the size compared to our FOB. I'm so used to not taking my remote out of my pocket...spoiled by the tech pkg! :D

Thanks.
Its an addtl remote its about the size of our FOB from the top of the lock botton to the bottom of the panic and about half as thick but very light.

Christian- Yeah the seat adjust when you remote start it.

Just noticed that when you leave the lights in AUTO it does not turn off when you kill the ignition with the remote start. I guess the car thinks you are still inside?

Still getting used to it, couple of times I forget to turn the ignition to on then stepped on the brakes and killed the start. :D
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top