Infiniti FX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hmmm... this would be a great mod to have! Any idea of which button or button combo would trigger the remote start?
Also, is there a recommended remote start unit for this mod?
Thanks for the good info!

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
drawback to doing it with the ikey is the very short range & no confirmation of weather the car ever recieved the signal or responded. I'd say better do a real fm 2 way like a viper or even better spread spectrum clifford or my favorite, compustar :) you can start the car from a few city blocks away & get confirmation on the remote that the car started & stuff...

·
Registered
198 Posts
C-Lawd said:
Hmmm... this would be a great mod to have! Any idea of which button or button combo would trigger the remote start?
Currently all the alarm installers have recommended Clifford, idatalink so far, i'm trying to track down which models and how that would be wired. The installers won't give me that since they are trying to protect their business but i'll end up finding out anywayz...my specialty :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
turbocad6 said:
drawback to doing it with the ikey is the very short range & no confirmation of weather the car ever recieved the signal or responded. I'd say better do a real fm 2 way like a viper or even better spread spectrum clifford or my favorite, compustar :) you can start the car from a few city blocks away & get confirmation on the remote that the car started & stuff...
well most units come with the remote and the ability to call the remote start module through a lead which is expecting positive 12v pulses (or negative). You can use either option or both.

The range shortens if the battery is low, i just put in a new battery and get 20 meters if not more of range. Have to test it properly but the original remote will definitely give you better interference tolerance.

For me, as long as i can start the car upstairs in my house or out the window at work, its great. Plus i wouldn't want to start the car if i'm blocks away, just wasting gas. But to each his own right?

·
Registered
65 Posts
PHANTOM said:
C-Lawd said:
Currently all the alarm installers have recommended Clifford, idatalink so far, i'm trying to track down which models and how that would be wired. The installers won't give me that since they are trying to protect their business but i'll end up finding out anywayz...my specialty :D
Niiice! Well when you find out, let me know too (if you don't mind)!

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Remote start triggers off of the lock motor wires. The way I do them its lock-unlock-lock. Really the best way off of the I-key remote. But DEI stuff (clifford, viper, automate) won't trigger this way, they use lock twice (bad idea) or lock three times. Problem with this is if someone is in the car and hits the lock switch on the door 2 or 3 times, the car will start. The Audiovox/Code Alarm units I use won't do this. As far as reliability, They are about the same. I've installed thousands and had the same low percentage of issues with either. And on the FX I wouldnt use Idatalink bypasses. Not always reliable, and not as seemless as Fortin interfaces.

PHANTOM said:
The installers won't give me that since they are trying to protect their business but i'll end up finding out anywayz...my specialty
Trust me its not about protecting our business. We see many "Backyard Barneys" who want to do it themselves and we end up seeing them when they either blow up something in their install, or can't fgure it out. If we were doing a honda or toyota or regular install, then give it a go. But the FX is not something you want to monkey around with. Shadetree installers need not apply :) . The extra $150 or so you are paying in labor that you want to save can be alot cheaper than blowing up a $1000+ BCM or other component :roll: .

PHANTOM said:
Anyone else done this successfully with just a remote start module with the transponder bypass while using the ikey?
Yes I have done somewhere around 200 or so FXs with I-keys so I think it can be done successfully :wink: . Just ask the 50+ on this board I've done them for :D .

turbocad6 said:
drawback to doing it with the ikey is the very short range & no confirmation of weather the car ever recieved the signal or responded. I'd say better do a real fm 2 way like a viper or even better spread spectrum clifford or my favorite, compustar you can start the car from a few city blocks away & get confirmation on the remote that the car started & stuff...
Yes take into mind what turbo says here too. Definitely a better way to go. Drawbacks are: needing to carry 2 remotes (2Way and I-key) and cost. Some people are fine with the I-key range- its not too bad for OEM. Some people prefer the all in one solution.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Alright guys, so far I've found this option to be under the $200 range depending on what kits you choose.

IM07- Immobilizer bypass - Programmable Platform#07:
CAN High Speed Vehicle Interface
Firmware: PKN3 4.00
IM07- Immobilizer bypass is a programmable High Speed CAN Controller platform designed to interface with vehicles equipped with a High Speed Controller Area Network.
This allows the vehicle to "think" the key is in the ignition during remote start.

This module paired to either the Command Start 2000 (which is fine, but does come with it's own remotes, and can be set up to use the factory one as well.)

Or

Micro STARTER NR2 plus the bypass kit. (no remotes on this one, sets up on the door lock wire. 3 or 4 presses (programmable) of the lock button would start it.)

Found a guy on the web who does this for a living and sells alarm kits as well as remote start. He has the instructions on how to connect any unit he sells you. Plus he gives you the instructions, guides and you can ask him in case you run into issues. He gives full support. I'm not advertising for him, just giving you guys a professional who can answer any questions to get this job done. That's what he offered me, i'm going to do this mod.

Here's the site he owns:
www.shop4remotestart.com

Here's his email:
[email protected]

The bypass kit is indeed made by DEI aka Python, Avital, Clifford, etc, as for the remote start i'm still deciding, seeing if there's any other styles but I may just go with the NR2, i don't need the remotes, just want to keep it convenient of having the stock intelligent key. Be aware that the range is shorter on the ikey so if you want a separate remote that's longer range in those cases where you might be further away, get the remote version.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hey John, thanks for the update, strangely i didn't see your post until i posted this but its worth a shot to see what you think of the setup i found. I wish i could have you do the install on my FX but we're not really that close being in Toronto, Canada.

Could you point me to the unit you would recommend from Audiovox/code with the Fortin bypass. I'm sure you've looked into this long enough to know that this is the best setup compared to other brands so i trust you considering the installs you've done!

Do you think the bypass module i found is worth the while compared to Fortin?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Checked the Fortin site, funny they are Canadian!!

Is this the kit for the bypass?

NISSAN / INFINITY
TRANSPONDER BYPASS
Transponder bypass only

Part #: BP-INTELIKEY

Which audiovox unit did you recommend with the lock unlock lock feature?

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
That bypass you listed is crap- DEI Trilogix crap. The Fortin one will work. I use a CAN-SL2 which does more stuff. Remote start I use is Audiovox 9076 (when working off of the Ikey remote).

Even if you get the stuff for $200 is it worth saving the extra $100 or so? Not to beat a dead horse here, but I have seen MANY people try a DIY and it ends horribly wrong. Not to say that will be your result, just that I'd hate to see you mess up your FX. I mean what good is email tech support when you have your car in a 100 pieces and you are waiting around for a response, which probably wont be useful since he would need to be there to diagnose your issue?

In the end it doesnt matter to me what you do to your FX- I can't smell the smoke from my house :wink: . Just trying to make sure you get it done right.

·
Registered
198 Posts
johnmax said:
That bypass you listed is crap- DEI Trilogix crap. The Fortin one will work. I use a CAN-SL2 which does more stuff. Remote start I use is Audiovox 9076 (when working off of the Ikey remote).

Even if you get the stuff for $200 is it worth saving the extra $100 or so? Not to beat a dead horse here, but I have seen MANY people try a DIY and it ends horribly wrong. Not to say that will be your result, just that I'd hate to see you mess up your FX. I mean what good is email tech support when you have your car in a 100 pieces and you are waiting around for a response, which probably wont be useful since he would need to be there to diagnose your issue?

In the end it doesnt matter to me what you do to your FX- I can't smell the smoke from my house :wink: . Just trying to make sure you get it done right.
I agree with you 100%, DEI is crap from all the stuff I've seen when they took on alot of the alarm companies. Used to be a big fan of Clifford, but now I see new and better companies making better equipment.

I'll go with you setup, how can I go wrong knowing you've done plenty of installs with these units. I don't have an issue doing it myself, i took electronics engineering and have been playing around with electronics since I was a kid so I've had my share of things being blown up, fried and that's how you learn. not everyone gets that chance, but i'll take my time getting this installed. Definitely don't want to fry the BCM. Any precautions about hooking up the bypass module to the BCM? I see the CAN High and CAN Low in the install guide.

I'm going to check out the Audiovox 9076, i'm wondering if i should find a way to get the trunk to pop open via remote...

the other thing i'm wondering is...can we extend the range on the ikey somehow and can we use the ikey with the extra button? and utilize it as well?

I'm guessing no...but worth a shot!

You are DA MAN John!! Thank you for all your info!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Couldn't find the audiovox 9076 online, wanted to look over the specs, seems like Fortin has a unit that does both the bypass and the remote start in one? Going to see the alarm shop on this....

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
PHANTOM said:
Couldn't find the audiovox 9076 online, wanted to look over the specs, seems like Fortin has a unit that does both the bypass and the remote start in one? Going to see the alarm shop on this....
Audiovox 9076 is kinda being replaced by the Code Alarm 410. Same exact piece. http://webappshttp.voxdmz.audiovox.com: ... %20Systems

Dunno what you are talking about as far as Fortin making a remote start.

Oh and I wasnt saying that all of DEI was crap... Just Trilogix (they bought them and their bypass technology).

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
PHANTOM said:
I don't have an issue doing it myself, i took electronics engineering and have been playing around with electronics since I was a kid so I've had my share of things being blown up, fried and that's how you learn. not everyone gets that chance, but i'll take my time getting this installed.
Well just make sure you test everything out. I mean I know car electronics inside and out, and have almost 20 years experience. But when I need to do electrical work in my house, I call an electrician. There are many ways you can damage stuff in the FX and it would be easier for me to do it than show you what not to do. There is no substitute for experience. Lets hope it goes well for you! :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
Here's an update, I found the CAN SL2 bypass module from Fortin on amazon.com's website selling for $54 bucks after a 40% discount.

The code alarm 410 is what i'm looking at to get as a remote starter. What do you think of the Scytek Galaxy 2000RS?

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
johnmax said:
Well just make sure you test everything out. I mean I know car electronics inside and out, and have almost 20 years experience. But when I need to do electrical work in my house, I call an electrician. There are many ways you can damage stuff in the FX and it would be easier for me to do it than show you what not to do. There is no substitute for experience. Lets hope it goes well for you! :D
Well I have 20 years experience as a firefighter. When I need electrical work in my house, I do it myself, then I put out the fires :shock:

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
:lol:

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
FireRN said:
Well I have 20 years experience as a firefighter. When I need electrical work in my house, I do it myself, then I put out the fires :shock:
*Makes note to self... do NOT invite FireRN over to do any electrical work at my place...*

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
PHANTOM said:
John, is there a way to extend the range on the remote or is that a limitation at the vehicle's range?
To extend the I-key remotes range? Not really. I suggest holding the remote to and under your chin/neck area. Gets you a bit of extra range. Strange but true.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts