Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

New to this board. Just picked up our FX35 on Saturday. Absolutley LOVE IT. :D

While reading through the specs, I noticed that the 2WD did not come with a rear sway bar while the AWD did. I was curious what difference that would have on the handling. I saw in this thread http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/posting.php?mode=reply&t=345 that a few of you talked about adding one to yours a while back. It seems to me that it would indeed help make the vehicle more netural.

If someone has made this addition, what were the results of adding the AWD rear sway bar to a 2WD model?

Thanks!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Adding a rear sway bar would reduce the body roll and better pavement contact when cornering. It might however have an adverse overall effect in handling under hard cornering/accelerating by creating oversteer.

I doubt Infiniti would skimp out on such an easy mod for the rwd unless the engineers deemed the rear sways could be left out or non beneficial

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Adding a rear sway bar would reduce the body roll and better pavement contact when cornering. It might however have an adverse overall effect in handling under hard cornering/accelerating by creating oversteer.

I doubt Infiniti would skimp out on such an easy mod for the rwd unless the engineers deemed the rear sways could be left out or non beneficial
Oh I definitely know the purpose and reason behind sway bars (been racing & autoxing for years), I'm more curious about how the addition of a rear swaybar specifically to rear of this vehicle affects it.

Skimping out I'm sure is not the reason. We all know that engineers always favor setting a car up to understeer from the factory strictly for safety. There are way too many NDA drivers out there and the last thing they need is the rear end coming out on them. The 2WD FX from my short experience so far seems to indeed be dialed in with a fair bit of understeer. The addition of the a small rear bar I think will really balance out the handling characteristics.

Has anyone actually done this yet? I may have to venture into uncharted waters here :D

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
A thought,FWD and AWD tend to understeer and the rear sway bar may be an attempt to balance out the suspension!

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I agree with Golden Boy. The comment above is also true, but they put rear bars on RWD cars like the Z and G, so.... It's on my short list, just haven't got the cash for it right now (~$300). I have the parts list of everything I need; hopefully I'll get to it before too long.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts