Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Has anyone experienced problems with the rear hatch not fully opening....like it did when you first bought it? It used to go all the way up by itself. Now after 7 months, it goes part way and the you have to give it another push to go all the way up.
Went to dealer today who said I am not the only one complaining. Dealer said he will replace the struts, but claim that they too will give the same problem after a bit.
I went around the showroom this afternoon trying all the new FX's and sure enough they all went up completely on the first try.
:(

·
Registered
325 Posts
Same here...I have mine for over a year but forgot when it starts doing this.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
same here

Jim

·
Registered
187 Posts
Funny you mention it, I noticed it today. I thought it was becasue it was cold outside (i remeber reading that somewhere). That can't be the case because it looks like you guys are from warmer climates.

·
Registered
34 Posts
lol same thing...

after it snowed like a month ago i went to get groceries out of the trunk. figuring the hatch would pop right up I opened it and tried to sneak under it while it was rising when WHACK! I walked right into the friggin edge; 8 stiches. :evil: Felt like such a retard. :oops: Maybe I should give the dealer the hospital bill?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same problem with mine. I bought it used so i dont know how long it has been like this. Next time i take it in to the dealer i am going to have them replace them. I think our hatch is really heavy which may make them wear faster....

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Mine are ok; maybe not quite as good as when new, though. They only have this problem when it's below 50 degrees outside; when it warms back up, they're fine again.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I've only had a problem when temp is about 40 or below. Otherwise, they seem to open as expected.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
this is due to the cold temps when the nitrogen in the struts exerts decreased pressure. this is a common thing across all cars with these type of struts, but it also is compunded by the location of the attach points with respect to the door angle (i.e.. leverage). our car has a point where there is not much leverage compared to the force presented by gravity on the door and it can hang up.

·
Registered
706 Posts
this is due to the cold temps when the nitrogen in the struts exerts decreased pressure. this is a common thing across all cars with these type of struts, but it also is compunded by the location of the attach points with respect to the door angle (i.e.. leverage). our car has a point where there is not much leverage compared to the force presented by gravity on the door and it can hang up.
Also, with the "close assist" feature, they wanted to make sure there is not too much resistence nearing the close point. If you change the angle at which the struts are attached, it will require more force to close so pick your poison as they say.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had mine replace under warranty 2 weeks after I got my '04 FX45. I also have the cargo cover and the note on my work order states"replaced both hatch struts. Please not that the added weight of the cargo cover piece will not allow the lid to come all the way up without assistance"
I read that and chuckled. Then I asked them to take that piece off so I could see it rise up fully without assistance. Of course it would not. The service manager then changed his tune and said it must be a flaw in the struts which is why they were on backorder. Then the question was, if they are on backorder, how did you replace mine? Wellllll, these were the last ones before going on backorder...then he said the cold weather in Seattle was affecting the strurts. I then asked about the '03 FX35 I had traded in 2 weeks prior..had it for 1 year... and never had the problem.

I will ask them to replace them every oil change. There are no acceptible excuse for them not to function properly everytime, no mater the weather.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
I just noticed mine do the same thing. I have to push it up for the last foot of travel. I thought the cold had to do with it. So should the be replaced or just wait till summer and see.

-or-

Should they go all the way up in the winter?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: lol same thing...

joecef999 said:
after it snowed like a month ago i went to get groceries out of the trunk. figuring the hatch would pop right up I opened it and tried to sneak under it while it was rising when WHACK! I walked right into the friggin edge; 8 stiches. :evil: Felt like such a retard. :oops: Maybe I should give the dealer the hospital bill?
I didn't want to say it...but I did exactly the same thing. Fortunately no stiches. Dealer said they would install a new set next week. You are right...send'em the bill!! :p

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Re: lol same thing...

FXGAL said:
joecef999 said:
figuring the hatch would pop right up I opened it and tried to sneak under it while it was rising when WHACK! I walked right into the friggin edge
I didn't want to say it...but I did exactly the same thing. Fortunately no stiches.
Me, three, but escaped unharmed as well. DOH!

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
I had it happen too. I've only had the FX for about 3 weeks and I just assumed that's the way it worked in cold weather.

My 300Z had this issue, my Honda Accord developed it after about 15 years, but I don't recall having that problem with my '85 Dodge Daytona Turbo (that would make the struts the only thing that didn't break on that car.).

My '01 Honda Odyssey does not have this problem. It does however present a problem for shorter people to close completely.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Just for kicks I checked my 97 4Runner with 130k miles. It opened like a charm. I can basically stop my FX hatch at any point, and it will not raise all the way unless I push it up.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
I am getting mine changed today.

Jim

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have had many cold days and on the cold days the hatch usually won't open all the way and smacks me in the head. Just recently when I was ice fishing and had the FX on the lake (those will be great pics) the hatch tagged me again....I'm calling a dealer when I head to see the inlaws in Maryland.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
My dealer is having a hard time removing the struts, when you go to the dealer, can you ask if there are any special tricks in removing the struts. Mine are here but last time I was at the dealer took the 2 hours but still could not remove it.

Thanks

Jim

1 - 20 of 21 Posts