Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my new place in L.A., they put me in this tight-assed space with a support pole to my right hindquarters, between this dizzy chick in an Accord, and some dude in a 325i, neither of which can park worth a ****- they're always too close to me. So tonight, I'm trying to wedge into my tight spot and still miss the **** Beemer to my left, and I crunch the side of the FX on the support pole. White paint everywhere, and I think I dented the rear door.

FVCK FVCK FVCK. 4.5 months I've had it.

As this is (seriously!) my first car accident, what do I do now? As I have a $500 deductible, should I see what a body shop says first? If I report this to my ins. co. (don't forget, I'm already paying almost $5k a year), will my premiums go up even more? Should I let my Infi dealer do the work?

Let me know. E-mail if you'd like.

·
Registered
302 Posts
In this day and age the insurance companies are going crazy when you make a claim. It is unfair that you pay into something and then can't use it. If you are already paying 5k andput a claim through then I am sure your premiums over the next 5 years will go up way more then it will be for you to just fix it out of your own pocket... I wouldn't go through insurance unless it was 5k or more worth of damage.. But that is just my two cents.. what do I know :)

·
Registered
882 Posts
get an estimate. If you can afford it then get it done yourself. If not claim a hit an run.

·
Registered
599 Posts
get an estimate. If you can afford it then get it done yourself. If not claim a hit an run.
LOL. "A support pole hit my car and ran away!!!"

That bites. They should obviously be able to see our FXs got the biggest booty! Ask for a new parking spot!

GL on this matter, hope u get ur FX fixed and looking like new.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
I'd call your insurer and ask them. Do it anonymously if you don't trust them. Most of the incidents that I've read or heard about where someone's premiums go up always involve accidents with another car (and are usually at-fault). You just hit a pole (lol) and probably don't have a history of making claims like this (or do you?). :shock: I'd guess that your insurer will let it slide this time. Heck, maybe they'll pity you since they are already squeezing you for $5K (j/k). But as I said, it's worth a phone call because it sounds like the repair is going to be very expensive.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Ouch! Sorry to hear that Kenny... like the above mentioned - anonymous calls to your insurance company and also go to some reputable shops to get some estimates.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's a picture (I don't know what's the deal with the camera; my wheels aren't out of round like that!). I'm gonna run to the body shop Thousand Oaks Infiniti recommended this afternoon and see how bad it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
882 Posts
i'd say about a little over 1K...gonna need a new side panel which isn't the hard part. The labor and paint job is gonna kill you.
Fron the look of it there may not be any creases. They might be able the pop it back into the shape. Nevertheless the paint and labor charge is the killer.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mushutofu said:
Fron the look of it there may not be any creases. They might be able the pop it back into the shape. Nevertheless the paint and labor charge is the killer.
How well will they be able to make it look "new"?

·
Registered
848 Posts
**** Kenny! I just got that same feeling that all guys get when they witness another guy gettin' kicked in the balls :shock: :x :cry: Sorry to read & see your loss! As a point of reference, my hood was completely repainted at a cost of $400 (to Infiniti...not to me)...they did the whole thing because of some small blemishes, and said that it wouldn't look right just to do a small section.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yikes Kenny!! :( I've done that myself pulling into my own garage. :roll: Not that it's any consolation, but everything has a part number (including paint). Don't worry...she'll be new again in no time at all! Stop by if you're down here.

·
Registered
286 Posts
sorry dude
but may be a lawyer buddy of yours can check on whether the parking spaces provided comply with typical standards.
BTW are there lines demarcating the spaces? it is unreasonable to charge someone for a parking space where your car can barely fit, and you have seen the results.
if that bollard or pole thingy encroached your parking space you may be entitiled to some relief from management. take photos of everything, measurements of spaces etc... you never know if you have to go to court a year from now.
what do you have to lose
good luck

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Don't mean to kick you while you're down Kenny, but I believe that in many states the repair shop has to report the damage to the DMV (if it is over a certain $$$ limit). Once this happens you will have a big black mark on your car's history and your resell value will likely suffer. :evil:

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
PIR8KAZ said:
The state of CA will only report a "salvage" title if the repairs exceed the current value of the car.
That's true, but not what I'm referring too. A friend of mine had an accident in NJ, and a couple years later when he pulled up a CarFax report on it, the damage was listed in the report. Any used car buyer can get the VIN and look it up -- hence a diminished resell value.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
particlefx said:
Any used car buyer can get the VIN and look it up -- hence a diminished resell value.
Yeah, I know. :(

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
fxer said:
are there lines demarcating the spaces? it is unreasonable to charge someone for a parking space where your car can barely fit, and you have seen the results.
if that bollard or pole thingy encroached your parking space you may be entitiled to some relief from management.
I'll have to think about that. There's lines on the space (which how I knew the Beemer was too close). Thing is, this was my second space- the one I got the first time was both up against a wall, and had a pipe above it that would drip onto my hood.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts