Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm checking into methods of protecting the rear bumper from scratches when loading. I know about the clear film products, but I'm wondering whether anyone has checked to see whether some of the protectors on other cars, e.g., the MDX, would fit or could be retrofitted to an FX bumper. Anyone here checked into that?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
That would be great protection if it were made out of 1/8" black rubber molding material - where's birtmun when ya really need 'em :p

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Yeah, I'm glad I got rid of my Horns....err Rails
gonna need some protection there one day though. - they Do look like Horns, don't they? :evil: * would be nice if a company like this could make it http://www.dawn-ent.com/molding/btruck.htm

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
What about a black rubber mat that we could put in place during load/unload and then just flop inside (maybe under the floor) when not in use? That would save the looks, but still provide the protection right? I'm thinking of something like the all-weather floor mat material.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
i use a towel and it does the trick. similat to the mats that mechanics use on the fenders when working on a car.

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww yeah!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'd like to share my "clear bra" experience. It's a bit lengthy so I apologize.
I had it installed on my FX about a month after I bought it. They looked great when they were first installed. After a couple of weeks I started noticing problems. I had problem with the front bumper, the hood, and the 2 side mirrors. Part of my commute include crossing the bridge. I picked up a lot of dead bugs while crossing the bridge. After a few days in a hot sun dead bugs were baked and embeded to the plastic bra. I tried removing them by washing and waxing but nothing worked. If you wipe them repeatedly the clear bra get scratched up and looked cloudy. The scratch showed up more visibily than scratch on the paint. I debated for awhile and I finally decided to remove them after about a month. I emailed the installer asking him how to remove them. I was going to pay him to come back to remove them for me but I got no response. I bit the bullet and removed them myself by using a heat gun and a lot of patience. I managed to remove everything without damaging the paint. I think if I'd left them on there longer they would have been harder to remove. Beside dead bugs being an issue, the rear bumper had problem too. The bra got scratched up easily during loading and unloading cargo. So it did not really do its job. A scratch is still a scratch whether it's on the paint or on the clear bra. Either way you still see a scratch. It looked bad just the same. So I removed that too. My final thought on clear bar is that I think it's easier to clean and wax the paint on the car. Needless to say I regretted spending the money.

I hope others have better luck with clear bra than me.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
nkiattin, that sucks sorry bout that, but mine has been on since must got got it right away in 03 and it looks great now. there are a few scratches, but they are so small and something about how the light reflects off the clear bra-you can't see the scatches in the bra very well in outside light-only in the our well lighted garage and you have to look extremely hard.

Plus, since you can zaino over the clear bra the z5 works on the scratches pretty well.

I would put a clear bra on the entire car if I could :p

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
nkiattin said:
I'd like to share my "clear bra" experience. It's a bit lengthy so I apologize.
I had it installed on my FX about a month after I bought it. They looked great when they were first installed. After a couple of weeks I started noticing problems. I had problem with the front bumper, the hood, and the 2 side mirrors. Part of my commute include crossing the bridge. I picked up a lot of dead bugs while crossing the bridge. After a few days in a hot sun dead bugs were baked and embeded to the plastic bra. I tried removing them by washing and waxing but nothing worked. If you wipe them repeatedly the clear bra get scratched up and looked cloudy. The scratch showed up more visibily than scratch on the paint. I debated for awhile and I finally decided to remove them after about a month. I emailed the installer asking him how to remove them. I was going to pay him to come back to remove them for me but I got no response. I bit the bullet and removed them myself by using a heat gun and a lot of patience. I managed to remove everything without damaging the paint. I think if I'd left them on there longer they would have been harder to remove. Beside dead bugs being an issue, the rear bumper had problem too. The bra got scratched up easily during loading and unloading cargo. So it did not really do its job. A scratch is still a scratch whether it's on the paint or on the clear bra. Either way you still see a scratch. It looked bad just the same. So I removed that too. My final thought on clear bar is that I think it's easier to clean and wax the paint on the car. Needless to say I regretted spending the money.

I hope others have better luck with clear bra than me.
Sound reasoning here. :D ...guess it depends on how much and what type of driving you do also. Clear logic, makes sense to me.

·
Registered
789 Posts
In my experience I have not had any insect etching into my clear bra. It may have to do with the way I maintain my vehicle by way of cleaning and waxing. I believe if the bra material is taken care of in the same manner as paint it will not develop problems. I also garage my FX at home and work, so that may make a difference also.
Tape material quality is also important. Nothing is perfect or lasts forever... how can it? I don't think they are all equal.
My perspective is focused on OE longevity. If and when I have to peel off the bra and replace it due to whatever reasons then so be it. Try getting a $700 paint job to your mirrors, bumpers, hood, and fender blending. Then try being happy with it.
IMHO the clear bra is the best thing out there. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
MichaelC said:
I'm checking into methods of protecting the rear bumper from scratches when loading. I know about the clear film products, but I'm wondering whether anyone has checked to see whether some of the protectors on other cars, e.g., the MDX, would fit or could be retrofitted to an FX bumper.
Anything Yet?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haven't found anything like the Murano piece. I need to trace a pattern on some paper and make the rounds at some other makes showrooms. Have any of you explored this? If you haven't found anything that works, are there any that you've definitely ruled out as not fitting?

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have somewhat of a unique situation and the deep gouges in the plastic bumper to live with. I have two dogs, one is over 120lb, the other 80lbs. Tried the towel trick for loading them in, but it doesn't seem to hold. Technically they jump in "almost". Still not as bad as the last vehicle's damage, Excursion, when the little one "climbed in thru the driver's window. I'm not even sure a film solution will work.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've been in touch with Dawn Enterprises in Valley View, OH about fabricating a rear bumper guard for us. I got an e-mail from them yesterday saying they were working on a die-cut part and would send me a sample. When I get it I'll post some shots here for your opinions. No information on price yet. Here's their web site: http://www.dawn-ent.com/

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
MichaelC said:
I've been in touch with Dawn Enterprises in Valley View, OH about fabricating a rear bumper guard for us. I got an e-mail from them yesterday saying they were working on a die-cut part and would send me a sample. When I get it I'll post some shots here for your opinions. No information on price yet. Here's their web site: http://www.dawn-ent.com/
Any further news on the rubber bumper protector idea yet? Let them know it would fit '03 --> '06 models! :idea: Who's a contact person that WE All can call? ~ Here's another old thread from last year's searchers :roll: http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=155

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.