Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I changed my spark plugs last week (Denso Iridiums) on my '03 FX35, and in the process found that two of the wiring connectors to the coils were cracked and broken. Got some new pigtails at the auto parts store, spliced them in, put in a new air cleaner, and everything was working fine, sounded and ran great. For a couple days. Then yesterday, it started misfiring. The OBD reader said "misfire on cylinder 4", which was one of the connectors I replaced. Investigation revealed that the clip on the connector wasn't engaging properly, and wouldn't clip on to the coil, it could slide back and forth. So went and got a new connector, installed it, it clipped on nice and tight, and now it's running really rough. OBD says "Random multiple misfires all cylinders". I tried disconnecting the battery for about 10 minutes, but that didn't fix it. Wondering where to go from here. How do you check the coils to see if they're working? Although it seems unlikely that there would be multiple bad coils.
Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi all,
I changed my spark plugs last week (Denso Iridiums) on my '03 FX35, and in the process found that two of the wiring connectors to the coils were cracked and broken. Got some new pigtails at the auto parts store, spliced them in, put in a new air cleaner, and everything was working fine, sounded and ran great. For a couple days. Then yesterday, it started misfiring. The OBD reader said "misfire on cylinder 4", which was one of the connectors I replaced. Investigation revealed that the clip on the connector wasn't engaging properly, and wouldn't clip on to the coil, it could slide back and forth. So went and got a new connector, installed it, it clipped on nice and tight, and now it's running really rough. OBD says "Random multiple misfires all cylinders". I tried disconnecting the battery for about 10 minutes, but that didn't fix it. Wondering where to go from here. How do you check the coils to see if they're working? Although it seems unlikely that there would be multiple bad coils.
Any advice is appreciated.
Things are going from bad to worse. Decided to just change out the coils, which I did. Figured while I had all this apart, might as well clean the MAF sensor and throttle body. Used appropriate cleaning agents on each. Cleaned the connectors with electronic component cleaner, and let that all dry while I changed the coils. After about an hour I put it all back together, turned the key and the engine turned over twice, then stopped. Nothing moving. Lights and radio and all that work. Cleaned the battery terminals just to be sure. Checked the ground cable and good ground. Still not turning over. OBD gives a U1000 and U1001 code, CAN bus failure. So I unplugged the MAF and TB, tried it again, and it turned over but obviously wouldn't start. I thought there might be some condensation or something creating a short in the connectors, so I decided to blow them out with air and let them sit overnight to dry thoroughly. This morning, it won't crank with or without the MAF and TB connected. Checked fuses and can't find any burnt ones. HALP!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts