·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which radar would people reccomend more:
The Passport 8500 X50
or
SOLO S2

what are the pros and cons of these two and which has overall better features?

thanks

·
Registered
338 Posts
Passport 8500 is the way to go. Solo is good but I don't depend on batteries. I have had the 8500 with no tickets except for parking in the wrong places.

·
Registered
239 Posts
johnblaz2000 said:
Passport 8500 is the way to go. Solo is good but I don't depend on batteries. I have had the 8500 with no tickets except for parking in the wrong places.
How good would you rate your Passport over the V1 or do you feel the V1 is overrated?

·
Registered
779 Posts
hotfx45 said:
johnblaz2000 said:
How good would you rate your Passport over the V1 or do you feel the V1 is overrated?
I have seen multiple reports, one stating that V1 is better and other that Passport is. Other than listening to reports by some companies, I would trust "everage Joes" who use these radar detectors. I believe V1 has been the most popular thus far.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
another question...if I were to mount the passport by my knees when I sit down in the drivers seat will that hinder the range of it by a lot or will it be minimal?
thanks for the answer to my other question

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
I have the 8500 and LOVE it. :D

It has good range and picks them up even in heavy traffic.

I am glad I saved the $$ and went with the 8500. I got mine off of ebay new in blue for $268. I dont see that person around much right now but when they have they have a lot.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Here are my thoughts I have the V1 and its great..but I hate the wire...so I think I would go with the solo battery..with the optional plug in just in case the battery dies..but I think you get a warning before it dies...this way I would put the solo above the mirror and done.....
Phil

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
but when you put it somewhere not on the windshield does it decrease the range a lot or just a little bit?

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
I'm thinking it's time for me also to invest in one of these units. Holding the FX to 60 is not an easy thing to do.

My brother has been using the Valentine for 10-11 yrs. He was driving about 175 miles a day for work for the last 13 yrs. He tried a couple different ones also. He picks the Valentine hands down. The valentine is also upgradable and can be programmed for what you want it to do online. They send you a brand new unit for a greatly reduced price when technology changes and improves. He's upgraded his units for under $200.00 a couple times over the years versus buying another unit off the shelf.

Do any of the others offer this service?
Especially speaking of the Passport 8500.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Fumitaka Nakamura

As my Japanese Grandfather used to say, "Buy the Valentine 1 and you'll only have to cry once."
Stay away from batteries.
The Valentine rocks. :p

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
v1 is great! Arrows are a must and you'll feel a lot better.

Course it won't stop those motorcycle cops from pulling onto the freeway, pulling you over, and telling you how fast you were suposedly going on a fat ticket :evil:

I HATE PACING!

·
Registered
411 Posts
krzys4 said:
That would be a very good idea for FX...
Especially if you live in a Nazi/Hillbilly state that outlaws radar detectors... *couch*VA*cough*

Matthew

·
Registered
67 Posts
hotfx45 said:
I know the sales rep who sells radars to the CHP and several other law enforcement agencies here in California. His personal ride is a modified 450+HP Caddy CTS-V, and he swears by the V1.

·
Registered
363 Posts
How cool would it be to have V1 integration into our cars? IntuitionSys is our resident programming/engineer genius, I wonder if he could rig something up to work with his SilverWolf platform....

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
its it a big eye soor to have the coard going from the plag all the way to the windshield?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wiring things in takes care of that

I have my detector mounted on velcro at the lower left side of my windshield which, in NJ, allows it to "hide" behind the inspection sticker so it is not obvious from the outside. I have the adapter plug wired into the fuse box which is directly below in the foot well, and by using a circuit that powers on with the car it assures that the detector is automatically powered.

The wires are very easy to run up the side and they come out just at the edge of the detector, so they are hidden behind the dash and out of sight and out of the way. You could certainly wire any detector this way, even one that you mounted by the mirror. As for that, I wired my remote mic for my installed cell-phone by the mirror, so all you need is enough wire. Just depends upon what is most effective for you and provides the level of "stealth" you want. Don't do the battery thing, you'll regret is someday, in a big way.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.