Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's plenty of info on intakes, and I've looked around a bit, but I hope you guys dont mind my new thread.

Just got a 35. Want to add intake.
My reserves are: I am in LA, and we sometimes see 90-100 degree weather. If this is the only mod I do, will I be gaining or losing hp or torque in the hot weather? I had the stillen on my '91 Q, but resulted in pinging from motor at load. I was told the motor was running too lean, so I pulled it.
I guess the big question, Is it worth just to do this single mod?

How agressive is the sound? On my Integra it was really loud (airbox removed) Can anyone find me thread with sound clips?

Does the dealer have a problem with this mod when servicing?

I really appreciate the help

·
Registered
441 Posts
I don't own the Stillen CAI yet but the z-tube and a K+N has added a nice, throaty sound to compliment an already great sounding motor. There can't be much of a noticeable power difference especially on a heavy vehicle such as the FX but in my opinion, the sound alone is worth it. Dealers have no issue with a K+N and z-tube and most dealers don't even mind the Stillen. As for running lean, the engine management system on your Q was OBD I which is light years behind the FX system in terms of fuel/air adjustability. The FX has the capability of learning and adapting for the increase in airflow whereby the OBD I vehicles operate off of a fixed set of pre-programmed parameters. Do the mod, this is one you'll be happy with!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate the input. What about power gain or loss in the hot weather?
BTW, Great sound clip. Sounds killer.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The amount of power gain or loss in hot weather is virtually the same in comparison to the stock airbox with either the Stillen or the z-tube/K+N combo. The reason being because neither of them draws air from the hot engine compartment but rather from the stock FX airbox ducting.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I believe there will be a power difference. Since I live in Vegas, I haev the same issues with heat. More so here :evil: It does seem to run a little better in the winter. Also, if you search around, we had a several posts last August/Sept on intakes. The Houston guys, I believe, also noticed it running slower in warmer weather. I hope they will chime in and also give you an answer.

·
Registered
832 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Ok here we go. Without a doubt, we all noticed and commented that our cars run better and quicker in cold/cool weather. 2fast4U even ice packs his plenum before his infamous 14 sec. quarter; and inbetween all runs. We all got together and put in just the Injen CAI into my RWD35 last summer. It slowed me down .2-.3 secs in the G-tech runs. It seems to have come back (and then some) when I put in the plenum spacer. Pm me and I can point you to some serious discussions, with before and after results.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.