Infiniti FX Forum banner

Questions on stock 20" rim

4K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  ShadyJC 
#1 ·
I just put a set of stock 20" rims on my fx, and the look is definitely much better over the 18s :)

A few questions though:

1) How do I reset the tire pressure sensors to pick up the new rims? It still shows **

2) The stock tires should hold me over until nov/dec. Where is the best online place to get the Toyos? I take it the dealer is the best place to get them mounted/balanced?

3) Any thoughts on what to do with my original 18" rims/tires? They have about 9,000 miles on them. I don't really need dedicated snow tires, especially since the Toyo's are decent. Do I sell them complete, or should I remove the pressure sensors first?

thanks!

#2 ·
fastdaddycar said:
How do I reset the tire pressure sensors to pick up the new rims? It still shows **
The dealer has to do it; it's a CONSULT-II job.

#3 ·
kcrudup said:
fastdaddycar said:
How do I reset the tire pressure sensors to pick up the new rims? It still shows **
The dealer has to do it; it's a CONSULT-II job.
I guess I'll have it done on the next oil change.
Digging on the infinitihelp website, I fould reference to a "LTPWS transmitter id registration". I take it only the dealer can to this.

Do the sensors themselves have batteries in them? Something that should be changed each time new tires are mounted?

#4 ·
fastdaddycar said:
Do the sensors themselves have batteries in them?
I'm sure they do, but they're either some sort of centrifugally-powered device, or one of those 10-year lithium batteries. IOW, nothing you can do about it.

#5 ·
Correct. They are sealed units; when the battery croaks, you have to replace the entire thing. I believe thay are also centrifrugally activated as well to preserve battery life; that is why the car has to be driven a short distance before they register. They should last a very long time. Also correct on the registration; the dealer has to do it, but it's quick and easy. Don't let them rip you off for the service.

On your 18"s, I'd sell them complete w/ the sensors; I'm sure there are plenty of guys with the 20s that would like a set of the 18s w/ sensors for winter.

#6 ·
So far here are my driving impressions of 20" stock vs the 18" stock:

1) cornering is much better, like riding on rails.
2) no difference in ride quality (note I have non-sport model)
3) steering feels heavier. Seems to require a bit more input.
4) steering more responsive. Wiggling the wheel transfers totally to vehicles movement. There is a bit of play with the 18" wheels.
5) I will report if I notice any difference in gas milage.
6) Looks is much better, especially with the silver rims against the black fx. Stands out great, now I have to get some coats of zaino on these rims!

#8 ·
Yeah~ here is the one who have done what i'm doing.
Fastdaddycar

I got the set of 20" OEM Rims and i'm waiting to receive new set of tires(Hankook).
Hopely I can install them by next weekend when it gets.

At this moment, I am wondering about "the tire pressure sensor transfer"...since my new 20" rims do not have the sensors on.
Did you transfered your sensors too? (took it from 18" → 20")
If so, How much the dealer charges you for the complete job?(swaping rims, tires and transfering the tire pressure sensor)

P.S) Since you are living in Jersy....I want to suggest you to keep the 18" Rims for the snowy winter. and i hope you didn't sell it on e-bay yet.

#9 ·
johniya said:
P.S) Since you are living in Jersy....I want to suggest you to keep the 18" Rims for the snowy winter. and i hope you didn't sell it on e-bay yet.
Too late! They are sitting in my garage right now. :twisted:

#11 ·
i got my sets from "ndogg ct" last week...

If you are lucky, you willl find one who is planning to get aftermarket and sell their OEMs to others.
that's the chance....

keep looking around you will find one.

#13 ·
The set of 20's I bought were stock with the sensors included.
When I sold my set of 18's, sold them with those sensors.
The dealer for free re-registered the new sensors with my computer.

In November, I am going with a new set of Toyo's. I do not see the need to have dedicated snow tires.

johniya said:
Yeah~ here is the one who have done what i'm doing.
Fastdaddycar

I got the set of 20" OEM Rims and i'm waiting to receive new set of tires(Hankook).
Hopely I can install them by next weekend when it gets.

At this moment, I am wondering about "the tire pressure sensor transfer"...since my new 20" rims do not have the sensors on.
Did you transfered your sensors too? (took it from 18" → 20")
If so, How much the dealer charges you for the complete job?(swaping rims, tires and transfering the tire pressure sensor)

#15 ·
I think ~250 a piece :x Should be covered under warranty if it just stopped working/broke on its own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.