Infiniti FX Forum banner

Questions from a potential FX35 Owner

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  FXECUTIVE 
#1 ·
My wife and I are seriously considering buying a bright red '03 FX35 at a local Chevy dealer. It appears to be in great condition with low miles and asking price of $35k.

We've also been interested in the Touareg. Found a used '04 V8 model loaded-out with options for just under $40k. This is very tempting considering it sold for $58k+! Also going to checkout a new V6 version '04 for $35k and killer financing from the VW dealer.

We're not concerned with the off-road capability - just traction on-road. We'll drive to Tahoe on occasion but that's about it. So, the VW's 4wd system is overkill in that respect.

The drive and performance of the FX35 seems as good or better than the VW. The fuel economy is reported to be better with the Infinity. Is this true?

I'm a long-time Porsche owner so red is good for me/us. Still, I've owned only German cars for the last 16-years so this is a major change. Before that I had a '84 and '86 Nissan 300ZX and was very pleased.

The wifes not real crazy about the interior color (carmel/tan) but really likes the exterior color, drive and performance.

Are there any specific items I should check or look-for with the FX35?

Also, this one that we're zeroing-in on doesn't have the navigation system. How much is this to add later?

Lastly, $35k for an '03 with under 20k-miles - is that a fair price?

Any advice or friendly comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Zane

See less See more
#2 ·
Depends what options the FX has on it. I am assuming it is AWD. An AWD FX35 that is two years old (05's are basically out now) assuming it has sport package should go for less than $35k with 20k miles. I would shoot for $32 at the most. Heck you can get a new 04 for $35k.

#3 ·
It ended up at a chevy store, wow! Red w/a brick/black int is EXTREMELY rare (only 1 pic. like that floating around this site), Red has been disc. for '05 & looks great w/chromies, too bad it doesnt have the tech. pkg. You'll get it for 30 grand IF you know how to walk away from the deal. Understand?

#4 ·
Yep, I guess a guy traded this Fx and another I-car towards a new Vette. At least that's the story they gave me.

I aggree - $30k is where we plan to start and no more than $32k.
I'm trying to get a crash-course in the FXs as far as options and such. As far as I can tell this one is not all that 'loaded'. Still, nice vehicle and in great shape.

Thanks for the info!
Zane

#5 ·
In 2 years, Red accounted for <1% of sales = your bargaining chip. 30k, EOM it's yours! Don't $$ more, & get great finance deal to boot. This time on 10-30-04 you'll drive away happy (& FAST) ! :D Something else to LOOK at > http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2053

#6 ·
I am a Porsche owner as well (in the past, a long list of VWs and a BMW also). I looked at the Toureg and like it. Having said that, I have no regrets buying the FX and would replace it if stolen. I think that you answered some of your question already. The Toureg is an off-road machine as well as on-road. The FX is an on-road BEAST. The FX has a presence that few vehicles have, the Toureg is another nice SUV.

FX by week and a Porsche 911 on the weekend, priceless!

#7 ·
I hope he traded it in on a new Vette. I wouldn't want anything else from GM.

#8 ·
Zane, if you're looking for a sports car that'll seat four comfortably, has room enough for your stuff, can corner, accelerate and brake like a 911, and can take you to Northstar in the winter, you've found the right vehicle. Those were my decision criteria when I went shopping for an SUV. I almost ended up with a Cayenne S but found the FX45 more to my liking. I, too, am Porsche owner and, as you know, once you've owned one you always go looking for that Porsche feel in every car.

#9 ·
ZRDNORCAL said:
Also, this one that we're zeroing-in on doesn't have the navigation system. How much is this to add later?
I don't think you can add OEM Nav after the fact. There may be some non-OEM after-market options.

#10 ·
msu79gt82 said:
ZRDNORCAL said:
I don't think you can add OEM Nav after the fact. There may be some non-OEM after-market options.
Absolutely correct - - can not add OEM Nav after the fact. However, there are several nice after-market Navs that can be installed, just not in the same location as the OEM Nav/CD player.

#11 ·
Well, we bought the red FX35 last eve for $30,500. Of course the salesman's goons were crying that we were getting the vehicle for less than they paid for it. Whatever. I guess a rainy day and virtually no sales for the weekend helped. Actually, fairly low pressure and minimal tag-teaming from the staff - so that was nice.

It would have been pushing our luck but I think we might have got it for $29k.

So anyway, not all the bells and whistles as far as options but we're happy.

Thanks to all for your help!
Zane

#12 ·
Congrats and welcome.....pics please! :fadein:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.