Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if you guys can help, or at least educate me. Took delivery of an '05 FX35 this week, already in love, but not crazy with the bose sound. My prior ride, '91 Q45, had some mid-fy components, and curious if I could salvage, or drop in with out any custom work or head change.

This is what I have:

KAPPA60.5CS
6-1/2" 2-way loudspeaker components (Impedance: 4 Ohms)
(specs)
Power Handling, RMS:
90 Watts
Power Handling, Peak:
270 watts
Frequency Response (±3dB):
45Hz - 21kHz
Sensitivity:
90dB
Mounting Depth:
2-3/16"

JBL P80.4 AMP
(specs)
Output 4 Ohms: 40W x 4
Output 2 Ohms: 80W x 4
Output 4 Ohms Bridged: 160W x 2
Signal-to-Noise (dBA): >110
Frequency Response (± 3dB): 10Hz - 50kHz
Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.05%
Input Sensitivity: 250mV - 4V

Any Suggestions?
I've replaced just speakers on my Acura MDX with infinity reference and it made a huge difference in clarity. I would be satisfied with more clarity so I can crank without getting a splitting headache. THX in advance for taking the time.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Hi gto-dave, our Bose speakers run at 2 ohm so you could not just drop in door speakers... you could however, put the JBL 4-channel amp and run your 4 doors off your Infinity Kappa coaxials, and leave the other 7 speakers on the factory Bose amp.

A lot of people have asked very similar questions, if you do a search on words like "Bose" or "speakers" or "ohm" you will find you have a lot of reading to catch up on.

Welcome to our forum and congratulations on your new FX!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you think it would be a sound improvement worthwile with those said components?

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Personally I am in the process of putting in new subwoofers and at least for the time being keeping my door, dash and column (9 of the 11) speakers stock.

Of everyone here, I want to say there has been 10-12 documented subwoofer installations but only 2-3 documented door speaker replacements.

I'm sure there will be improvement, but its a lot of work to get it done.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input, I will consider. Are there any decent 2 ohm drop ins available that you could recommend? Why is Bose such a PAIN!?!?!

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
I think this is the only known drop-in speaker running 2 ohm in a 6.5" size. You would still need to fabricate a mount for the dash twiddler replacement.

Image Dynamics CXS62
http://www.cardomain.com/item/IDSCXS62

I hear that Rainbow (?) makes a center channel speaker replacement but never got far enough down that line to completely explore.

My subwoofer install should be completed by Wednesday, I will post pics then.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I'll check it out. look forward to your install.

·
Registered
33 Posts
most good amps can handle a 2 ohm load in stereo so adding an amp to power the bose will improve the sound. I am using the infinity basslink II. I plan to add the amplifier module which will handle a 2 ohm load.
Of course changing the bose speakers out should make a big improvemennt. I think the bose would sound ok with some better tweets and a decent amp.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey gto-dave:

I am currently replacing my speakers in an FX35 2004; I have done all the tweeters with Infinity Ref 3.5in;

For the front & Rear Infinity Kappa's have a 2 ohm load and they sound pretty good.

Best prices are found on ebay, they can range to about 50% of MSRP.

Crutchfield has fitting info also and best specks on the speakers themselves:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-griGDR0rmD ... nity+kappa

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.