Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Yesterday I test drove both the Toyota 4Runner and the Infiniti FX35 AWD, I noticed that the Infiniti FX35 does perform great, but with the 20" wheels (which match the car very well) make the ride a little harsh on bumps during the test drive. I understand that the bigger the wheels, the harsher the ride usually, but does the suspension settle over time to reduce the harshness?

·
Registered
292 Posts
sdaccord01 said:
Hi,

Yesterday I test drove both the Toyota 4Runner and the Infiniti FX35 AWD, I noticed that the Infiniti FX35 does perform great, but with the 20" wheels (which match the car very well) make the ride a little harsh on bumps during the test drive. I understand that the bigger the wheels, the harsher the ride usually, but does the suspension settle over time to reduce the harshness?
I have grown used to it (or it has gotten better). Do note that the FX is a very sport oriented cross-over (I call it a sport wagon) and you do sacrifice a bit of ride quality for performance.

I hope you make the best choice for you (and you get the FX :wink: )

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think occassional bumps are okay as most of the roads I travel are pretty smooth. I'm just concerned on those days that I might drive over a pot hole on accident and the car gallop like a horse, especially in the Bay Area, California where I do make some trips to San Francisco and the roads are pretty poor there in some areas. I've heard the Toyo Proxes can soften up the ride a bit. Decision time will come very soon so I got to weight the pros/cons of getting an FX vs. 4Runner

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Here's an idea, if the stock 18" wheels from the "M" fit the FX, they are an exact 8 spoke baby brother to our 20's (not the different looking 7 spoker non-sport version)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Personally, I think the ride is fine, but I also traded in a Mach 1 Mustang for my FX and drove a Z28 for 5 years before that. :p :D

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have an '05 FX35 with 20" wheels and No sport package. It is the firmer spring rates of the sport package that makes the ride harsh.

Ours rides great with just the 20"s

·
Registered
124 Posts
I bought the non-sport, and recently swapped the 18" rims for the 20". I did not notice any change in the soft/hardness of the ride.
It is still unconfirmed if there is a spring/strut difference between sport and non-sport.

The only downside of the 18" is you are more limited to your all season tire choice, where with the 20's the Toyos seem to be the way to go. I will be getting the Toyo's this Dec for the winter.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Double check the tire pressure. It is not unheard of for a new FX off the truck to have 38+ tire pressure. The Sport suspension is very much sensitive to the road. The rougher the road the harsher the ride feels. If you are certain the tire pressure was OK (32-34) AND you still sense the ride is too firm for you then I wouldn't count on it softening much afterwards.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I test drove an non sport w/ 18" before buying the sport. The non sport is IMO is a softer ride, the sport can be a little harsh. New England has some nasty roads, but I have gotten used to it, and love the the way it handles and responds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for all your replies. The one thing that is getting me more inclined to getting an FX is the luxurious interior compared to a 4runner. It simply just cannot compare. One dealer around my area is offering $5k off all FX35/FX45 with Tech packages till the end of this month so it seems like the price gap isn't too much of a difference between a fully loaded 4runner Limited vs. fully loaded FX35. I think that you guys could be right that I probably need time to adjust to the firmness of the ride, the tire pressure may be too much since I drove a brand new car, and maybe changing to toyo proxes in the future will make me satisfied. Just wondering for those who carry other passengers how they think the ride quality is in the back seats.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I throw 3 kids in booster seats in the back of my FX (ages 5-8), and never had a complaint, and never had a vomit incident. They all have no problems falling asleep back there.

The only problem is when they are awake and I take turns tight for fun, then they start shoving each other "he touched me!!". The back is a bit tight for 3 with booster seats, but so is every other car/suv out there. This is why I also recently bought an 05 Ody to take care of that problem. (now I have a 2 foot buffer zone between each boy).

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
My only suggestion is to be sure YOU can live with the ride. 99% of us on this board think it's fine, but there is nothing worse than spending a ton of cash only to wish there was a way to make the ride softer. No matter what you do, the FX will not have a soft ride. I find it more than acceptable plus I carry my wife, daughter and mom on a regular basis and they have no complaints. Just my .02.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I drive my daughter and wife around and they both like the ride. Granted, it is not as soft as my MDX but you certainly get used to it. I like the FX cause it feels and is really stable. I have less concern about taking turns, emergency manuevers or driving in the rain in my FX.

·
Registered
14 Posts
msu79gt82 said:
Double check the tire pressure. It is not unheard of for a new FX off the truck to have 38+ tire pressure.
I second - and third - this! I test drove an FX35 Sport at two different dealerships. The ride at the 2nd location was very harsh. Had it been the first time I rode in one, I probably would have written the whole car off. Luckily I had the first experience to compare to and when we checked the tire pressures, the test car was at 44psi :shock:

Once lowered to 32psi, the difference was signficant. I've had my '05 FX35 Sport/Tech for about a week and a half now and the firm ride really isn't a big deal to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The 4 Runner is a capable off roader. The seats sucks if you are anything of size. The 4Runner compared to the FX is comparing a apples to organges. The FX is a sport car Suv crossover. It handles like its on rails and out performs all Suvs. Its more of a luxury ride than the 4 Runner. The 4 Runner is like a truck. It can tow more as well. I have both and I much rather ride in the FX and its so much fun to drive and its so much comfortable but if you are off roading or towing you best stick to the 4 Runner.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a base 05 FX35 last month. I drove both the sport and base model to compare the 20's vs 18's and ride quality. I did not notice a huge difference but felt that the 18's would be a good choice for me. I love the ride and the handling, except that the car feels as though the shocks are poorly dampened for the suspension or the tire compound is bad. Mine came with the Bridgestone Potenzas.

Has anyone with the 18's changed tires or springs or shocks to improve the everyday ride quality? If so, what made it better without sacrificing handling?

All input welcome.

Thanks
FXFREAK

·
Registered
31 Posts
fastdaddycar said:
It is still unconfirmed if there is a spring/strut difference between sport and non-sport.
I think this is the million dollar question. Can anyone answer this?

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
It seems that most cars on dealer lots are running on WAY too much air pressure in their tires. We've seen a bunch of them delivered that way too. Dropping the pressure to 31 or 32 psi cold will make a world of difference on the FX35 sport. I have one myself, so I can tell you it definitely matters.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.