Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without Blizzaks and the crappy RSAs, have heard the main problem in the snow is stopping.

How are the Blizzaks at stopping the FX?

Getting ready to get a FX45 and just trying to calm my nerves about this whole snow driving, 19MPH AWD to the Rear, etc. stuff.

Used to drive Mustang GTs in the snow, switched to Grand Prixs with FWD, and now really want an FX bad.

Just got dumped on with 6-8 inches yesterday in Cleveland.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There is a huge improvement with the Blizzaks. With the stock tires all you had to do was barely touch the brakes and ABS was activated. Almost no traction! It's a completely different vehicle with the Blizzaks.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Dr. T said:
It's a completely different vehicle with the Blizzaks.

I've only had the ABS kick in a few times since I put the four Blizzaks on the vehicle. They feel like claws hanging on to the road.

An amazing tire.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,

Any problems with the rear end kicking out? (driving within reasonable limits like 25-30mph on the snow)

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I finally purchased a set of 18" wheels...can't wait to get the Blizzaks on. I assume the Blizzak DM-Z3 265/60QR18 is the only Blizzak available to fit our stock FX 18's?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have blizzaks. Excellent tires in snow. No problems at stop and corners.

Steve A.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes, they are, because stopping is not related to AWD/RWD. They have very good traction and FX35/RWD have a less weight compared to 35AWD/45AWD. Theoretically FX35/RWD must stop better than 35/45AWD. ABS work in the same way for all FX.

Steve A.

p.s. If you use motor as a brake and you have AWD and you are bellow 18 mph (if i'm not wrong) and you engaged "snow mode" then may be you feel a difference.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Storm-FX said:
Yes, they are, because stopping is not related to AWD/RWD. They have very good traction and FX35/RWD have a less weight compared to 35AWD/45AWD. Theoretically FX35/RWD must stop better than 35/45AWD. ABS work in the same way for all FX.

Steve A.

p.s. If you use motor as a brake and you have AWD and you are bellow 18 mph (if i'm not wrong) and you engaged "snow mode" then may be you feel a difference.
Nope. Heavier is better, more friction thanks to gravity.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I believe the added inertia would outweigh any benefits from increased friction. All else being equal the heavier vehicle will take longer to stop.

·
Registered
498 Posts
200 lbs isn't enough of a difference to matter considering the weight of the fx. Well short of conducting an experience, we're all talking out our ass anyway since it really depends on the skill of the driver.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
contaygious said:
Well, as long as they are good enough to stop in the snow then I'm getting a rwd not a awd......
If you plan on encountering ANY degree of driving in Snow, I'd reccomend an AWD FX ...no matter what tires you mount.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
So what affordable, yet non-totally hideous 18" rims fit the FX and are good for use w/ the Blizzaks?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I bought the cheapest 18 in rims they had at the tire rack. I think they were around $200 each. I think they look fine in the winter. I'll whip out the chromies when it gets warmer. I suppose the best route is to get the 18 inch OEM rims and mount the blizzaks on those.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
So what affordable, yet non-totally hideous 18" rims fit the FX and are good for use w/ the Blizzaks?
Look on eBay for a used set of 18's or pick up a set of Murano wheels. .. and tires. That's what i did. I'll run the OEM tires for a while and probaby get the Blizzaks next year.

Look here...
http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2947

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Keep an eye on eBay. I picked up a set of 18" FX rims for $600.00. There was a few 18" FX wheel/tire packages but, I knew i was going with Blizzaks, so I opted for rims only.
Just had them mounted...I hope to have them on the FX later this evening.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts