Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for all the experts here, two days ago, my "Service Engine Soon" lights came up while I was driving. I checked fuel cap, no issue there. I called dealer and the earliest appointment with loaner would be two days after, and was told it is still safe to drive as long as the indicator not blink.

Two days later before my appointment, the indicator went off. Does anyone had same experience before? What might be the cause for that? Is it still need to be serviced or just forget it?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
You put the gas cap on right (2 clicks) when checking it?

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dislexicFXnaf said:
You put the gas cap on right (2 clicks) when checking it?
Yes. Has always been that way.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Best thing to do is to get it scanned. It could have thrown a soft code so even though the indicator light has disappeared, there might still be something that need attention. Chances are, if you don't get it looked at, it'll come back eventually.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imajeanius said:
Best thing to do is to get it scanned. It could have thrown a soft code so even though the indicator light has disappeared, there might still be something that need attention. Chances are, if you don't get it looked at, it'll come back eventually.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will do that, and keep everyone posted with the result.

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
It was probably the gas cap. Even though you checked it, the code was already thrown. I'm not sure what category it falls into but usually the light will reset itself after x number of starts. So if you get the check engine for the fuel cap and then start the car 15 times and it checks and finds no problem 15 times, it'll reset itself. I wouldn't worry about it or waste money having it checked out. You can check for a code yourself. There's a thread in the how-to about checking codes stored on the ECU. It's the same with the 09+ just that you have the push button instead of the 'nub'

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
kieranlavin said:
It was probably the gas cap. Even though you checked it, the code was already thrown. I'm not sure what category it falls into but usually the light will reset itself after x number of starts. So if you get the check engine for the fuel cap and then start the car 15 times and it checks and finds no problem 15 times, it'll reset itself. I wouldn't worry about it or waste money having it checked out. You can check for a code yourself. There's a thread in the how-to about checking codes stored on the ECU. It's the same with the 09+ just that you have the push button instead of the 'nub'
Agree. This happened on my FX35 and after I cleared the light using the pedal method, it never came back. If the light is solid (not blinking), it is tied to the emission system including the fuel cap and is not a serious issue (per the owner's manual).

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Not me.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got back from the dealer, in deed, it was the small vapor leak with gas cap. Replace cap and cleared the code.

Thanks for all the inputs.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
kieranlavin said:
The cap needed replacing or it just wasn't on correct?
It was replaced. It had been on correctly all the time. After replacement, I did notice the new one is a slight tight than the old one.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
kieranlavin said:
Curious to know if anyone has actually experienced a flashing SES light aside from putting the car in diagnosis mode yourself?

when I first got my fx I had a blinking CE light. there was a small piece of shrapnel pinched in the throttle plate from the crushed air cleaner, enough for the computer to see an out of range throttle position at rest. vehicle had no gas pedal response at all & just surged up & down repeatedly... flashing is reserved for the "don't drive it" situations...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts