Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received an offer today from my employer to move to Boston area (Tewksbury and surrounding areas), doing the same work as I am currently doing. The move is totally up to me, no string attached.

I tried weighing pros and cons and I am torn right in the middle. My fiance seems to be 40% for staying in Chicago & 60% for going to Boston, however I am still undecided. I've been to the area last year but for a short period of time and do not remember much (I guess after going to many new places for business trips, all of them start looking the same...)

I know that there are multiple people in this org. here, living in Massachusetts. Could you please comment on standards of living, house prices, etc... How expensive is it out there? For those who moved to MA from another state (if anyone has done that here), would you do it again? How are suburbs of Boston? Are there things to do over the weekend (as compared to Chicago - party town)...
What about living in New Hampshire as compared to Massachusetts?

Please help. I value all responses. Thank you

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
what do you do for a living might i ask?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I think you have to like Red instead of White ... Sox! :lol:

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what do you do for a living might i ask?
I'm an engineer @ Motorola. Note that I did not specify what type of engineer I am, as my degree is Electrical Engineer, my work title @ Motorola is Software Engineer, while the type of work I do is more like Telecom/Network Engineer...

I think you have to like Red instead of White ... Sox!
How about neither... :) Not a baseball fan... (watch me get killed for that answer)

·
Registered
597 Posts
OK, grab a helmet :twisted: . Concerning NH - no income tax ( interest and dividends income are taxed) , no sales tax. Lotsa nice places to get away to ( summer-fall-winter season) . Other than that - as far as I'm concerned - it's a backwater. Dunno how much that might bother you.
Boston is another ballgame completely. Cost of living is pretty bad. Not San-Francisco bad, but it's getting up there. We appear to be paying every tax under the sun. Properties are priced as though the seller is trying to retire :roll: . Without knowing your budget, I'll just say that a small 1-family house in a largely blue collar area goes for $400k-plus. Provided you wanna live @ a reasonable distance from downtown without having to grab a train.
MA is a very car-unfriendly state. On top of sales tax, we have to pay a yearly excise tax, plus annual state inspection, plus bi-annual registration renewal. Gas is costly as about 1/3 of it is made up of tax. Insurance here is state-regulated, so forget about shopping around. National carriers stay the **** away from MA, therefore you have a choice of only 3-4 underwriters. Violations stay on your record for 6 years to ensure they squeezed the last dime outta you.
Driving during daytime is mostly a pain in the arse. Few new roads are being built - due to density - so cars pack'em to the max. Driving culture is a joke. Shitboxes passing traffic @ 85MPH in the far right lane or cargo vans doing 90MPH in the left aren't exotic sights.
There's plenty of cultural life and sports for every taste. Loads of places to eat out. Lotsa good schools too. For those with an open credit line, that is. As a stinking bachelor's degree can set one back an easy $130-150K. Boston also seems to boast the largest number of Ph.D. holders per capita. Winters here are milder than in Chicago, plus we don't get that nasty wind. And more importantly - no frigging lake effect :oops: .
So that's about it. Again, I dunno what your $$$ situation is and what it is you have to give up in exchange for what, or what general lifestyle you're accustomed to. Therefore it's all relative.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Not a baseball fan... (watch me get killed for that answer)
Could have been worse, you could have said you were a Red Sox fan. :) J/K...can you tell I'm a Yankees fan. :p
Regarding the driving in the city of Boston...It's an experience I'll never forget!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Boston is a great place, best feature is that it is close to Newport, which is a place everyone no matter where they live should go to.

Next Boston has just about every cultural feature of NYC but on a scale that is small enough to enjoy.

The people are very warm and welcoming, and make you feel like you always lived there.

Did I mention Newport (in the summer especially) ?

Check out this site, a very cool place indeed

http://www.faneuilhallmarketplace.com/

Cost of living is high, but you get what you pay for

Boston over NH in a New York Minute, 19 Yankees-RedSox games every year plus playoffs, you WILL become a baseball fan !!!

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
couple of things...

motorola huh?? .... how about a relocation to sunrise florida (it's a city of Fort Lauderdale), they have a huge site here and everyone knows about it, i have a few friends who work there and everyone of them relocated from some other motorola city...florida is great, no state tax, although every thing has a tax attached to it, homes are decently priced, $400K will get you a 5 bedroom, 3.5 bat, 2800 sqfeet home in a great neighborhood, schools vary from city to city, i live in coral springs (also a city of fort lauderdale), best cities are coral springs, plantation, tamarac, davie, parkland weston and parts of sunrise, others include pembroke pines, miramar, pompano beach, ...all of these are cities of fort lauderdale within broward county...after that you can venture north to palm beach county (cities are boca raton, west palm beach, delray beach, lake worth boynton beach etc) or venture south to dade county (cities are miami, miami beach, aventura, kendall, homestead, etc), temps are great, in the winters we see lows 40-50's and those are rare and are usually overnight and warms up during the day, in the summers 80-90's with a slight ocean breeze, roads are great, multiple (more than 2 for each direction) lane roads and highways, rarely (depends on where you drive through) will you find bad roads with potholes and rough surfaces, when construction is going on anywhere on the roads it slows everyone and everything down and can seem to take months, rains are common, but droughts are as well, gas prices are about $2.00-$2.20 for 93 octane (which is what i use), great state to live in

next i agree with pudicus...entirely...i lived in boston for 4 years...i loved every minute of it...it is an expensive city/state to live in...home prices are crazy...good strategy if you can afford it would be to buy a home/condo for let's say $400K (as a number pudicus suggested) pay interest only for 4 or 5 years and sell it for $600-800K...that's kinda what i did what i did...pure profit, low monthly out of pocket, 100% interest write off, roads suck in my opinion, always digging and patching, lots of pot holes, ohhh poor fx suspension, very car unfriendly both for the car it self and financially, high in culture and sights/architecture, lots of things to do and see, lots of endless places to eat out, chinatown, little italy, harvard square, kenmore square, beacon hill, brookline, little jamaica, great seafood, shopping not bad, although decent grocery stores are out of the way, i lived a mostly city life so i just shopped at my local grocer's down the street, not a supermarket by any means but adequate for basics, for clothes and electronics and other non-grocery shopping it was a quick drive to new hamshire (no sales tax ... woohoo)....great place to live as well

and finally regarding what birdaman said...you will become a baseball fan... not so much because of the game but because you get into it through everyone around you, when i moved to boston i was never a big baseball fan, actually i didn't even know how to play the game, however by hanging out with friends and going to bars and whenever any of us had tickets or company sponsored events my wife and i would go along and over time we became red sox fans, not baseball fans per say, since moving to south florida i've still been a red sox fan, even though the florida marlins here in miami have won 2 world titles since i've been here, it's a great way to interect in boston by going to fenway park and cheering the red sox with friends....i still do not understand the game and how it works....however....let's go bo'sox!!!!.......newport is beautiful, so is capecod, and martha's vineyard, and they're a short drive away, faneuil hill market place is great place to relax and eat and shop, in the summers (when i was there it was only the summer months) there are street performers who perform a variety of stunts, talents, quite fun

boston is a great historical site, close to many historical locations...bunker hill, jfk's birthplace, salem (place of the witch trials), plymoth rock, and many others which escapes me right now

i am sure you will love boston as a prelude to your final move to florida...:)

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for such informative responses. To comment on some of them...

@ pudicus
Thank for for such a great info. Reading from your post it appears that New Hampshire would be cheaper to live. Did I make a correct observation? Since my work would be very close to state border line, I would have a choice of where to go...

@ BirdMan
I agree regarding the people. I had a chance to go to Boston last year and it was a pleasant experience for me. BTW, how far away is Newport from Boston?

@ pidus
Interesting you mention Fort Lauderdale. I went on vacation there 2 years ago and loved it. I was stayed in Hollywood (if I can remember correctly) but we used to drive to Ft. L. in the evenings. It seemed like a small party town.
As to the Motorola there, I know about it. As a matter of fact, I have a search engine (internal to Motorola) running which sends me all job openings in Florida and Hawaii. One of those days I will move to either :D

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
just move to loudoun county VA. you can buy a single family home here for 750K and then sell it in 3 years for about 1.5 MIL :lol:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I moved to boston from NY around 5 years ago and I *still* miss NY. Boston is Okay but I realllllly miss the nightlife of NY, EVERYTHING in Boston shuts down by 2am.

As others have stated insurance and housing is at a premium if you want to live in Boston or surrounding suburbs.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I was there for 10 years for my business. I hate Boston, Massachusetts, and the whole of New England with the fire of a thousand suns. I'll never go back there again without a court order.

... but that's just me. At least NYC was 3 hrs away.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I live in Billerica which is not that far off Tewksbury. Its a nice town with good schools. House cost at that area is cheaper compared to near Boston suburbs. I say for a budget of 400K you can get a 4 bedroom house(1.8-2k+ sq.ft living area) on a large lot(.5 to 1 acre).

I'm sure for the same budget you can get a bigger house in NH... I suggest living in Nashua NH, which is near Tewks. I read it somewhere that it is one of the best place to live in the US. That town got it all, plus no taxes. I go there to buy my electronic stuff and cigarettes($25/carton).

Except for the cold and snowy weather(like now it going to be 18ft+ overnight :( ) its nice out here. Plus you will have a significant upgrade in sports team like the REDSOX, CELTICS(not so sure about this one) and the PATRIOTS (w/c will win another superbowl) Most of the other stuff was covered by Pudicus.

Goodluck and by the way I'm an Engineer too working in Analog Devices which is a semiconductor company.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I suggest living in Nashua NH, which is near Tewks. I read it somewhere that it is one of the best place to live in the US.
Thank you very much fearFX; I'll look into houses in that area...

·
Registered
599 Posts
As a student in Boston I'd like to add that Boston is a student city. It's roughest in parts of the city around August and September and Beginning of January when students are moving. May and December when students leave to go home.

Some areas such as Comm. Ave (Boston Uni), Harvard Square, Fenway all get pretty crowded with students. It's a great place to be if you are a student. It might be pretty rowdy if you aren't.

Just fyi. We can be pretty rowdy when the Red Sox are playing... :wink: But then, that's not only students though! Just mostly.

Since you're not going to be in the city itself you should be fine though. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.