Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has ever sold a car to carmax.

I had called Infiniti Financial Svs last month to see what the early termination fee would be to get out of my FX lease. The woman I spoke to said I needed to have 1 more payment post to my account before they could send a quote. I called this morning after the latest payment posted and was informed that they could not give early termination fees in California. Instead they would put my FX up on the auction block. I would be responsible for the difference between the payoff and whatever the car brings at auction. That sounds a little too dicey. I was expecting a fee of up to $4000 and I was OK with that. At least I would know how much it would be, I could pay it, and that would be the end of my relationship with Infiniti. Now it looks like selling it to an organization like carmax seems to be my best bet. From what I've heard their trade-in prices are very competitive, even if you're not buying a car from them.

For those who aren't familiar with my Infiniti experience, here are the bullet points:

Was told by salesman that it included free scheduled maintenance just like BMW. - misinformation

Was also told that the FX came with all hardware installed for satellite radio and that all I needed to do was activate an account. This was actually a $725 installation fee that my dealer knocked down to $400.

The brakes have been squeaking and grinding since day 1. I was told at 5000 miles that my brakes were 50% gone and that I had another 60% use left in them (?!). The same person also told me that these brakes were not meant for Los Angeles driving.

A year later the brakes are still squeaking and grinding. Customer service apologized for the "inconvenience".

Averaging 13.5 MPG

I think after giving them a year to make things right that I have been more than patient. It's time to put this experience behind me and move on. I know I'm opening myself up for flames by listing what may seem line minor gripes to some. To me, as beautiful, comfortable, and powerful as this vehicle is... it's not worth the hassel.

So.... anyone have any experience with carmax?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Re: Question about carmax

pjo1966 said:
I was wondering if anyone has ever sold a car to carmax.

So.... anyone have any experience with carmax?
Yes I sold a '99 Ford Expy to Carmax in March of '01. Painless experience; they do a detailed evaluation of the car (takes about 45 minutes or so) and give you an offer good for 7 Days and/or 300 miles. The offer for the '99 Expy was very fair so I made the sale.

However last month I had them make me an offer for an '02 TL-S and was given a ridiculously lowball offer - I told them no.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Re: minor rant.

pjo1966 said:
For those who aren't familiar with my Infiniti experience, here are the bullet points:

Was told by salesman that it included free scheduled maintenance just like BMW. - misinformation

Averaging 13.5 MPG
My dealer did give me 2 years and/or 24K factory recommended maintenance (but that is a dealer thing and not corporate). If you can prove the salesman said that (Is it in writing? - mine is) then it MUST be honored.

So far I have averged 17.1 mpg in city driving through 750 miles 8)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was never in writing. Normally I wouldn't take a salesman's word on something like that, but up until a few years ago Infiniti DID have free scheduled maintenance. It just reinforced what I had heard in the past so I went with it. Now I know better. I've been researching new cars and have been going to lots of forums, searching and asking questions.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
if you are going to sell the car, DEFINATELY go to carmax. they rock and their quote will most likely be more than you could ever get for the car anywhere else (and thats with NO work too).

bototom line is that it takes 30 minutes from start to finish to get a quote in writing that lasts a week or 300 miles. NO PAIN as said before :)

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
if you sell the FX, what are you going to get as a replacement?

·
Registered
320 Posts
35 or 45? Current Milage? I can believe that if its the V8 and a lead foot. :lol: From what I 've been told CarMax uses KBB pricing and will be a little on the low side.

$400 sound about right for the dealer install...thats what Grubbs quoted.

Scheduled Maint? Lease? even at 4 times a year a Jiffy lube type place will only charge $30= $120annually. Dosent sound like much

Brakes spend $500 and have the pads replaced.

I know it prolly wasnt the answer you were looking for but all of that added together is going to be cheaper than what you would loose on a trade...good luck

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it's a 35 and current mileage is 11,750. I don't have a lead foot. I'm looking to go with something simpler as a replacement. This won't be the last luxury car I lease. Even if I just get a BMW sedan for a couple of years I'll be fine. I'm also looking at the new Volvo S40. Another reason for wanting out of this lease is my monthly payment of $586 (no... it doesn't have tech). I have 4 years left on a 5 year lease. If I get something less expensive and bring my payments down to the $500 range or lower, it will work out in my favor over the next 4 years... not to mention the potential savings of driving something that gets better mileage.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Re: Question about carmax

msu79gt82 said:
However last month I had them make me an offer for an '02 TL-S and was given a ridiculously lowball offer - I told them no.
I did the same last year. Got a quote very quickly...was told my vehicle (98 Grand Prix) was in excellent condition, and offered about $6k. They were selling a '97 for with a pile more mileage for $9k, and most of the ones I'd seen listed in the papers were in the $9-10k range. Sounded lowball to me, so I refused the offer.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only thing holding me back at the moment is that I was in a minor accident this past Saturday. The idiot who hit me (I was stopped, he wasn't looking and hit me causing me to hit the car stopped in front of me, which hit the car in front of it...) opened a claim with his insurance company. Now they want to schedule a time to come look at my damage. The bumpers didn't even scratch and the back bumper is dimpled in slightly. If you're not looking for it you don't even see it. I guess I need to wait until the claim is processed. Since I haven't heard from anybody I have no idea what story he told his insurance company. After the accident he told us that he hit the breaks and nothing happened. The truth is that I looked in my rear view mirror and saw him driving while his head was turned to the left. He didn't see that we had stopped until I honked.

·
Registered
51 Posts
CarMax blows, in my experience. I've tried selling them cars twice; both times I got low ball offers that I had to laugh at. First time, it was a 7 years old Maxima ('94 model year top of the line SLE) with only 57000 miles on it (my mother-in-law's car), extremely clean (even by my standards) and in great mechanical condition. They offered me $1300 for it. I ended up selling it through the local paper for $5800. The second time was with my '99 Grand Cherokee Limited back in 2002 (3 years old at the time) with 44K miles and extended warranty until 60K and/or another two years. CarMax's offer - $11000. Sold through a local paper for $16500, and even that only because I'd already taken delivery of my X5 and wanted to sell quickly. So, be prepared to get low balled when you go there.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I've sold two of my previous vehicles to carmax not because they gave me the hightest quote but because they gave me the least hassle. I was very happy with their operation.

If I understand right, you have 4 yrs left on your lease? You may want to check out your lease agreement. Here in IL, if you terminate the lease, you need to pay the rest of your payments. In your case, it would be almost $28k. :shock: That's why some people try swapalease.com to get out of the lease without paying hefty "early termination fee".

One of my businesses was helping an auto maker buy vehicles for its R&D dept, so I've seen situations like this quite a bit. Good luck.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I looked at swapalease.com. Unfortunately, Infiniti is one of the few companies that does not release you from obligagtion if someone takes over your lease. Even with swapalease's insurance, you are still listed on the loan as a co-signer. A lot can happen in four years and that's too big a risk for me. I just finally saw a 10 year old bankruptcy drop off my credit history and saw my scores go up drastically. I've worked too hard over the past 10 years to clean up my record and I can't take the chance that somebody else will screw it up again.

I'm expecting to pay the equivalent of an early termination fee. It will pay itself off in the long run if I get a lower lease payment on something else.

I appreciate everyone's input, both Pro and Con. Keep it coming. The more info I have the better.

Thanks.

·
Registered
662 Posts
pjo1966 said:
I looked at swapalease.com. Unfortunately, Infiniti is one of the few companies that does not release you from obligagtion if someone takes over your lease. Even with swapalease's insurance, you are still listed on the loan as a co-signer.
Hmmm, I didn't know that. That's no good. :(

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
These are the details for their "Peace of Mind" plan for leasing companies (such as Infiniti) who do not release you from liability. While it is good, it's not perfect. I exchanged quite a few e-mails with someone from swapalease and there are instances where you can get royally screwed. Most leasing companies allow you to completely transfer responsibility to the new leaser.

http://www.swapalease.com/leaseDefault/terms.htm

·
Registered
17 Posts
Carmax lowballed me. Offered me $10000 for my 1998 Range Rover 4.6. I then went to the Infiniti dealer and they gave me $17,000 for it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts