Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be putting my aftermarket rim and tires back on. I marked which tire was where on the car before I took them off so I could rotate them when I put them back on.

What is the correct rotation pattern? Does it matter on the tire or is there one in general,

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
As a matter of fact, I just rotated mine this afternoon.

Here's the rotation diagram:

For anyone interested: I did it using the spare and the whole process only took about 35 minutes. I have an impact wrench which made it easier, but all-in-all this is a very simply DIY job. BTW: The lug nut size is 21mm if you need a socket.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
particlefx said:
Well, if you've got directional tires then I guess not.
Yeah, I wonder what I'm gonna do in 7,500 miles. The Gs have unidirectional tires, right? I guess that means the dealers know what to do with them (and to do it right).

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
There should be some markings on the tires like: rotation --->.

After your service at the dealer, just double-check that they did it correctly.

On another note; the manual says to recheck the torque on each nut after 600 miles. Does anyone every do this? I doubt it.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
particlefx said:
just double-check that they did it correctly.
Of course, but what worries me is the dismount/balance/mount they have to do four times. I'm going to get some kiddie chalk and mark the tires on my next service interval so's I'll know for sure.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
To rotate or not to rotate.....

I recently ran across a tip discussing whether you should pay for tire rotating. Tip said if you haveta pay, don't do it. Say you were charged $30. And you had to do this several times over the life of your tires. Is that total charge worth the incremental tire wear you save by doing the rotation? Of course, if you don't haveta pay, it's good to rotate.

So, if I had directional tread tires (I used to have Toyo TPTs on my Acura), I don't think it'd be worth remounting 'em so they could be rotated side-to-side. Just rotate 'em front-to-back.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
revOevoM said:
Is that total charge worth the incremental tire wear you save by doing the rotation?
Thing is, I was under the impression that since us AWD folks have ASS-SEVA, which will set a code if the tires aren't all within a certain percentage of wear, that it was more important we do this.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
particlefx said:
The tires are already balanced
Not if they have to pull them off the wheels to change sides on unidirectional tires, right?

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
kcrudup said:
Not if they have to pull them off the wheels to change sides on unidirectional tires, right?
We may be confusing terminology here. There are two flavors of "single direction" tires:

Unidirectional tires are designed to operate on a specific side of the vehicle. This is what you say you have on your car so they should not be moved to the other side.

Directional tires are designed to roll in a specific direction. I suppose these can be unmounted and turned, but too much effort in my opinion.

Asymmetrical tires can rotate in either direction.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
particlefx said:
There are two flavors of "single direction" tires:

Unidirectional tires are designed to operate on a specific side of the vehicle. This is what you say you have on your car so they should not be moved to the other side.

Directional tires are designed to roll in a specific direction. I suppose these can be unmounted and turned, but too much effort in my opinion.
Now, I'm more confused. The BFG .PDF reads "Unidirectional racing-influenced tread design", but I don't recall anything on the tires other than the >> direction marks; nothing like "left/right" (drivers/passengers). Does this unidirectionality apply once the tires are mounted, to stay on that side forevermore?

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
The Toyos I had had both arrows (>>>, <<<) and a LEFT and RIGHT. Turn 'em inside-out and they'll roll the other way. Seems that should be true regardless of brand...

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
revOevoM said:
Is that total charge worth the incremental tire wear you save by doing the rotation?
I agree, paying to have your tires rotated may not be cost effective. The unknown variable here is how much life you're adding to the tires, which is very hard to determine:

Tire lifetime w/o rotation: ~25,000 miles
Rotation period: every 7,500 miles (3 times)
Rotation cost: $30 * 3 times = $90
Tire cost: $900

$90 is 10% of $900 so you'd have to get an extra 2,500 miles out of your rotated tires just to break even. I don't know how reasonable that is but I do know that if I rotate them myself then I'm saving the rotation cost and maybe getting some extra miles. Plus, I'm also not going to get scratched rims from some service dope. ::roll:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.