Infiniti FX Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
bocaraton2002 said:
Note: there's also a screw behind the glovebox that must be replaced as well.
Huh?

So if you replace the coils, you also need to replace the grounding wires and battery cables? AND a screw?

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is a service advisory - ask your Infiniti dealer for a copy of it. It says to replace the grounding wires on the right side of the engine connecting to the right fender (low), the battery ground wire, all their screws (don't clean them, replace them, and sand the body for good contact), the screw under the dash (this requires removing the glove box, which was easy, the two trim pieces on the floor at the door, and then on the right wall, finding the single screw which is really hidden, and replacing it). It's easy to do, finding it was the issue.

After doing all that, it still didn't work, so I re-checked the coil on #3 (my bad cylinder) and the plug which I had removed and replaced with a new plug. Both seemed to work fine. Then I checked the plug that was new that I had installed - it arced all over. I changed that plug, and the car runs great! Clearly without doing the rest, it didn't work, but could I have skipped a step? Who knows?!

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
I replaced the coils on my wife's 186k mile 2002 Maxima. The coils were good (so I saved them) but I figured I might as well. Plugs weren't GREAT but not HORRIBLE. While I was doing other tune-up type issues, I didn't reground anything but I checked all of the grounds (there is one main one with what seems like 30 other smaller ones for various things) and cleaned any grounds that had gathered some corrosion. The car pulls as strong as ever and is still going with over 200k miles now. (unfortunately she "lent" the car to her brother for a while and we finally got the car back with a smashed windshield, missing rearview mirror, busted HID bulb (the idiot's wife ripped the rearview mirror off and I believe the auto headlights work through that light sensor on the mirror so he tried to fix the headlights by pulling them out and one busted), and bald tires)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got information regarding my wifes 2008 Fx 35. 49,000 Miles with a warranty that expired 6 months ago. Car driving fine and had been last in to infinity for service about 18 months ago. Car was about 100 yards from the house when all of a sudden it started acting horribly. Like it couldnt even continue. Shaking and sputtering. Ok towtruck to the infinity dealer. 24 hours late. $4700 repair estimate. All 6 coils melted and most likely catalitic converters need to be replaced. This estimate is known as a "worse case scenario" estimate the service tech told me. Car never had any problems other than routine maintence. Then they asked about an after market remote start I have on the vehicle. They say this is what has caused the problems as it was wired into the harness wrong (this might not be exactly what was said but its what i remember). My neighbor is a 30 year ford mechanic and used the word "unlikely" many times when I told the story to him. Looking for any input from anyone who has heard a similar story. The installer of the remote start is going to the dealership tomorrow to follow up. Also even though Im well under the warranty for the converters they say they are not covered because of the coils causing the problems that lead to there problems. Thinking of talking to Infinity customer care directly if its determined its not a problem caused by the remote start install. Kinda want to pull my hair out. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think Infiniti has a problem with their electrical system based upon what I have read and had happen to my FX35. I have a 2007 FX35 with 90K miles. The car started to drive rough and then completely shut down on the interstate. The repair shop found the engine misfiring on 3 cylinders. $3000 later, the electrical grounds have been replaced along with 6 burned out ignition coils and one fried ECM. Sounds to me like some shotty engineering. The repair shop had to take it to Infiniti to have the ECM reprogrammed and they asked if they had seen anything like this. The Infiniti technician indicated that they are starting to see a few FX35 with 70-90K miles tickle in with this problem. Since I have read essentially the same scenario from at least 3 other people, I suspect this the is the tip of the iceberg. So report to it and save you receipts/documentation. Just hope my cat converters haven't gone bad from the unspent fuel being dumped by the misfiring engine, that seems to be the next step in this repair process.

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
I heard from a bunch of really reliable sources and people that said a bunch of sh*t on the internet that Infiniti is actually an alien planet here to secretly take over earth through the use of shoddy electronics in their cars. Watch out, they're coming for you next!!!

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
:lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't post here too often but just wanted to add our vehicle to the growing list of FXs exhibiting this problem. My wife's 2007 FX35 has just succumbed to this problem last week and is currently in the shop awaiting parts for repair. It was the same symptoms...perfect running condition for 80K miles and all of a sudden, extreme misfiring, flashing CEL, and a strong burning smell from under the hood. The dealership has obviously seen this before, as the advisor immediately stated that there are probably burned coils, grounding issues, and potentially bad cats. Sure enough, after the tech looked at it those were the problems: 3 coils on one side burned out and a potentially bad cat. I'm looking at $2K worth of repairs. Hopefully the ECM is not fried, as they haven't mentioned it yet. This should definitely be a recall item! There has to be a way to elevate this issue...

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2007 FX35 nightmare was originally diagnosed as "bad gasoline" by a nissan dealer. They quoted me $3000 for the coils and ECM. They forgot to mention that the ECM would be covered under warranty if an infiniti dealer installed it. I had it towed to an infiniti dealer, but they can't get my car running either. This car only has 49,000 on it. It ran great, no warning lights at all. It just began to rough idle and then it just stopped running. I'm going on one week without my car and it's 250 miles from where I live. I have already paid $800 in towing and repair bills from the nissan dealer. Frustrated!!!!

This is my 4th infiniti. I've never had an issue like this. Has anyone had any luck with infiniti customer care? This is obviously a widespread issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2007 FX35 nightmare was originally diagnosed as "bad gasoline" by a nissan dealer. They quoted me $3000 for the coils and ECM. They forgot to mention that the ECM would be covered under warranty if an infiniti dealer installed it. I had it towed to an infiniti dealer, but they can't get my car running either. This car only has 49,000 on it. It ran great, no warning lights at all. It just began to rough idle and then it just stopped running. I'm going on one week without my car and it's 250 miles from where I live. I have already paid $800 in towing and repair bills from the nissan dealer. Frustrated!!!!

This is my 4th infiniti. I've never had an issue like this. Has anyone had any luck with infiniti customer care? This is obviously a widespread issue.
Is your car ok now?
I had a similar experience and got an answer on this site.

Solution is as follows:

I replaced

1. the ECM,
2. new coils,
3. The alternator this last was the culprit of the problem,
4. Reviewing each ground connections and installing two AWG6 wires, one to ground the negative pole of the battery to the engine and the other engine to body frame.
(in my case I just replaced all the ground wires).
5. My catalytic converters were fowled so I changed them.
6. I changed the Oxygen sensors as well.

My car is now just like new!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think Infiniti has a problem with their electrical system based upon what I have read and had happen to my FX35. I have a 2007 FX35 with 90K miles. The car started to drive rough and then completely shut down on the interstate. The repair shop found the engine misfiring on 3 cylinders. $3000 later, the electrical grounds have been replaced along with 6 burned out ignition coils and one fried ECM. Sounds to me like some shotty engineering. The repair shop had to take it to Infiniti to have the ECM reprogrammed and they asked if they had seen anything like this. The Infiniti technician indicated that they are starting to see a few FX35 with 70-90K miles tickle in with this problem. Since I have read essentially the same scenario from at least 3 other people, I suspect this the is the tip of the iceberg. So report to it and save you receipts/documentation. Just hope my cat converters haven't gone bad from the unspent fuel being dumped by the misfiring engine, that seems to be the next step in this repair process.
SYMTOMS: Sputtering, shaking, deceleration, jerking, etc...

This is currently what is happening with my 2007 FX35. This is the 3rd time since December of 2015 that is has gone in for misfires. First time, replaced spark plugs and ignition coils, $1200 (DEC). Changed passenger side catalytic converter on our own, part $700 (FEB). Cylinder's 3 and 5 misfire and bad ground connection, replaced coils and made sure grounds connected properly $700 (APR). Cylinder 3 misfire, currently in the shop (JUN). I brought it back to the same shop as the part is warrantied and I was hoping that it was just a bad coil. They are saying that it is a bad "computer" (which I am guessing is the ECM) and it needs to be replaced and flushed. They called to tell me that the part is over $1100, and I would have to get it towed to the dealer to get the work done. So, it's looking like it will be WELL over $2000.

I will ask my mechanic if my alternator could be the culprit. How do I know that an ECM has gone bad? What else could be the culprit?

ALL FEEDBACK would be helpful.

Thank you.

2007 FX35 94,000MILES

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fixed the issue myself-Why isn't this a recall issue?

I had the same issues with the coils and I even experienced the complete shutdown of my car during rush hour on the 405 freeway. The lord must have been looking out for me because an accident had occurred in the middle lanes. CHP had the right 3 lanes blocked, I happened to be in the 4th lane. Long story short, car shutdown completely, I managed to strong arm my vehicle off of the freeway and call AAA. 3 auto mechanics, 1 auto electrician and 12 new coils, 1 ECM later, and many resets of my check engine sensors. The most recent, 1 week ago on another busy SoCal freeway; back to the mechanic on 5 cylinders. New coil and then he told me that I would need to replace my catalytic converters. Price is steep for those.

I decided to "Google It", found this and several other threads with people experiencing the same issue. I also found the Infiniti Service Bulletin (ITB11-017) as a step-by-step pdf for this issue.

Found reasonably priced parts at infiniti parts deal. They arrived in 2 days.

You're going to have to
1. Replace the steering member mounting bolt on the right side (requires removal of the glove box).
2. Clean all the engine harness grounds
3. Replace the negative battery cables
4. Replace any damaged ignition coils.

End results, my "check engine" light went out right away. My rear inside dome light which had not worked in at least 3 years is working. My gas gauge appears to be back on track. I will keep my fingers crossed and I will update in 1 month.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issues with the coils and I even experienced the complete shutdown of my car during rush hour on the 405 freeway. The lord must have been looking out for me because an accident had occurred in the middle lanes. CHP had the right 3 lanes blocked, I happened to be in the 4th lane. Long story short, car shutdown completely, I managed to strong arm my vehicle off of the freeway and call AAA. 3 auto mechanics, 1 auto electrician and 12 new coils, 1 ECM later, and many resets of my check engine sensors. The most recent, 1 week ago on another busy SoCal freeway; back to the mechanic on 5 cylinders. New coil and then he told me that I would need to replace my catalytic converters. Price is steep for those.

I decided to "Google It", found this and several other threads with people experiencing the same issue. I also found the Infiniti Service Bulletin (ITB11-017) as a step-by-step pdf for this issue.

Found reasonably priced parts at infiniti parts deal. They arrived in 2 days.

You're going to have to
1. Replace the steering member mounting bolt on the right side (requires removal of the glove box).
2. Clean all the engine harness grounds
3. Replace the negative battery cables
4. Replace any damaged ignition coils.

End results, my "check engine" light went out right away. My rear inside dome light which had not worked in at least 3 years is working. My gas gauge appears to be back on track. I will keep my fingers crossed and I will update in 1 month.

Would you go through this if:

My FX has 210k miles on it. The cat converter is now bad and I'm not sure if ecm is bad. A mechanic charged my $800 and gave up trying to fix it, but replaced all the coils. It's still idling very rough though. Sounds like it might be your same issue. I can't figure out if it's wort it to keep trying to fix this thing?

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi everybody

Finally yesterday the car is back on the road. So replaced the ECM, new coils, and the alternator this last was the culprit of the problem, besides reviewing each ground connections and installing two AWG6 wires, one to ground the negative pole of the battery to the engine and the other engine to body frame. Lucky I have been to meet an excellent electrical engineer, a dominican who was trained in the US besides he attended a course in Japan at Nissan's. Thank you everybody for helping. By the way you can believe that, a gentleman had to replace 70 coils in 2 months so I directed him to the same engineer who detected that his car had the same problem as mine. It is amazing that some technicians just replace the coils and do not examine the reasons for that behaviour. So long friends let me enjoy the smooth driving of my FX35.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts