Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I used the search engine to source this problem, but unfortunately I cannot find anything that answers my question.

I have a 03/FX 35 , and I'm experiencing problems with my electronic locking system.
The front passenger side and the liftgate are not functioning properly.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. This is really annoying.

It seems the lock itself works ok (I can hear a clicking sound when pressing the lock/unlock button on my FOB)
But the liftgate remains closed.. If I wait for 1 minute, and try again it does work.

Does anyone know how I can solve this? Maybe some W40? I'm not sure, so I better ask.. thanks in advance,..

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
I don't remember hearing problems about the liftgate actuators failing but have heard about the door actuators... I think right now your best bet is lubrication and hope it goes away... you probably have to replace them sometime down the road...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi! Thanks for the reply.
Does anyone has a picture or technical drawing of this lock? I don't know how on which part of the lock I have to use the lubricant.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,645 Posts
Are you hitting unlock twice with your remote to unlock all doors? (if you have that enabled). Did you try unlocking from the switch? Do you hear the rear doors unlocking when the problem ones should be unlocking?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey..

No.. I did disable that feature. If I hit unlock once, it should open all doors.
If I use the carkey to open the doors the same behaviour occurs..

I did not use my car for 5 months because I was away for business.. Maybe I need to clean or oil up the contacts of the Central Locking System ?

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
powertony said:
I did not use my car for 5 months because I was away for business.. Maybe I need to clean or oil up the contacts of the Central Locking System ?
Do what John said and put your ear near the locks that aren't working right... press the UNLOCK button and listen for a click noise from that lock... if you hear a noise but it's not opening, then you probably just need lubrication... MMMmmmm... lubrication... if you don't hear a noise, then you've got other problems... but yeah, after leaving her lying around for 5 months I wouldn't be surprised if she needed some extra lube... also, change your oil ASAP regardless of mileage... 5 months and the oil has probably broken down a bit...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the same thing on my 45. All I did is took out the fuse for the rear hatch and plug it back, sound silly but it works all time. It has been my 4th time so far. Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just did the same after reading your post, the mechanism is locking and unlocking fine now!

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
I have similar problem with my liftgate ( but my lock doesnt work at all). Which fuse is responsible for the hatch lock?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same problem with the locks and hatch (actuators I guess), but I want to look at the mechanisms first.....Are there any instruction with pics on how to remove interior of the doors or rear hatch...??

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
check the fuse first!
To remove door trim, remove two plastic items ( where you put you fingers to close the hatch) firs and just pull the trim. Do it gently. thats all. hope it helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've been having a similar problem, and it seems to be temperature related. My door locks work when it's colder, like in the morning, but if it's warm out or the sun is hitting that door they don't unlock. Also, the interior switch operation seems to deteriorate quickly. Hit the unlock once, it usually works, hit it again the locks move about 1/2 way, hit it a third time and they don't move at all. It seems like there might be a capacitor that is discharging or bad, maybe in the BCM? Any thoughts on this?

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
^^^ Sounds like your case is bad actuators... do a search for "actuators" and you'll find some info... what year is your FX?

·
Registered
28 Posts
DatMan said:
^^^ Sounds like your case is bad actuators... do a search for "actuators" and you'll find some info... what year is your FX?

It's an '03. I would think if the actuators are bad, then they're bad, not working at all rather than intermittent.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
rem1957 said:
It's an '03. I would think if the actuators are bad, then they're bad, not working at all rather than intermittent.
When they start to go bad, they start acting up first... like I said, do a search for "actuators" and you'll see what happened to other members...

·
Registered
28 Posts
DatMan said:
rem1957 said:
When they start to go bad, they start acting up first... like I said, do a search for "actuators" and you'll see what happened to other members...
I've read quite a few threads here on this. Someone suggested maybe a problem with the BCM in one of them, was looking for a second opinion.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
rem1957 said:
I've read quite a few threads here on this. Someone suggested maybe a problem with the BCM in one of them, was looking for a second opinion.
Either way, it's gonna be a bit expensive... are ALL the doors acting up or just some? Did they all start acting up around the same time or one after another? These are usually the clues that suggest what's going bad... hope you figure it out soon and with the least $$$ out of your pocket...

·
Registered
28 Posts
The thing I've not seen here, or anywhere, is a definitive analysis of what/why these actuator systems are failing. It seems like a very common problem where a very simple device fails. This is basically an electromagnetic relay, right? A magnetic wire coil and a piston, maybe a guide bearing or two. I have not dissected one for myself yet. All I ever see for fixes is to replace the actuator or even the whole lock assembly. Is it just bad design, shoddy materials, designed failure, lack of lubrication, underpowered electronics? The other odd thing is which of these fails most commonly. From what I read, it's usually the passenger door. Or the tailgate. That's the case with my FX. One would think that it would be the driver's door since that gets more use. I have a 1993 Dodge Stealth (basically a Mitsubishi 3000) with 225,000 miles on it and the electric locks still work fine.
I'm sure I can fix my problem, it's just a balance of price payout vs. research and my labor. I'm still doing my research, hoping for others to share their experience.

·
Premium Member
10,645 Posts
Actuators have gears and teeth inside them. Usually very fine plastic ones. Especially in the FX. Picture being inside a door slamming thousands of times plus the presence of moisture and hot/freezing temperatures. It is suprising that they do not break more often if you ask me.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts