Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What price are you all paying to have new tires mounted/balanced on your 20" wheeled FX?

I had tires shipped to a local place I trust(ed) and had them mount/balance/align the FX.

The wife actually dropped it off/picked it up. when she gave me the receipt it was for $302 bux. I about had a heart attack.

$80/mount
$80/balance
$100/align

I can deal/live with the align. but another $160 to mount/balance is CRAZY IMO.

Opinions/comments wanted.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I called my tire guy the day after I got my FX. He had an '03 45 that he had already traded for an '04 G35c. Anyway, the reason I called him was to ask if he thought there would be anything at all wrong or at least needing attention with my brand new FX. He said that he had seen cars come off delivery trucks out of alignment. Not that the trucking experience had anything to do with it. He offered me to take the alignment challenge. Bring it in, put it on the alignment rack and if it doesn't require any tweaking, no charge. If it does, $79.00. OK. With only 100 miles on my FX, it was toed out (if I remember correctly) a little. Definitely out of tolerance. So I pay the 79 bux.

Called Infiniti CA the next day and explained to them what occurred. Can I get reimbursed for that? Sure. Send us the before / after alignment specs and we'll send you a check. Sure enough, received a check from Infiniti for $79 in a couple weeks.

Bottom line - an alignment should only cost around $80.

P.S. Haven't had the need for mounting / balancing my 20's yet.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I got brand new 20" wheels and the Hankook ventus tires and went to infinti to get them installed yesterday. I had the old 18 inch wheels taken apart, the tire pressure sensors removed, the 18's put back together, the sensors recallibrated, the 20 inch wheels and tires mounted and balanced, all for $120. the car only has 3 k miles on it so i didnt do an alignment, but evne if i had, the totla price would have only barely cleared 200 bucks. And this was done at infiniti of tampa

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually called the dealer today, and they would of cost me a lot less too (like 1/2). I made the mistake of going to this place "blind" so to speak. I've taken my cars there before in the past and really trusted their "work", but apparently not their prices. They've always been a tad expensive, which I was ok with for that piece of mind.

But when they cost DOUBLE what it would of cost me to take it to an Infiniti DEALER... that's just silly. I already called them, and the owner is out of town until Monday. I will be calling back Monday. But I already told the guy that I will not be back at the current prices. NO WAY.

I will "forgive" them if they take the $80 for balancing off the bill, if no, I will not go back and in fact will anti-advertise against them.

<sigh>

·
Registered
662 Posts
Even though Discount Tire made a big mistake while they're mounting new tires, I still like to deal with place like Discount Tire or any other local retailer since I don't need to take them a different place for mounting/balancing and etc. I think it is worth extra $.

One time, a guy at DT showed me a chart showing how much they would charge for mounting/balancing if a customer brings his/her own tires. For 20"+, it was about $40 per tire.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
topguy said:
One time, a guy at DT showed me a chart showing how much they would charge for mounting/balancing if a customer brings his/her own tires. For 20"+, it was about $40 per tire.
This is why I try to stay away from places like this when it comes to mounting tires. DT and other "local" chains want you to pay retail for their tires, so they can give you good prices on mount/balance/alignment etc... but a lot of times you can save 40% of the tire price buying online. And up until yesterday it was never a big issue for me. Also the fact that they up the price for 18"+ sized tires (without notification) irks me quite a bit. The guy I talked to on the phone today about it said "I just assumed you knew".

I'm going to talk with the Owner next Monday and see if he'll take off the $80 balance job. If not I'll be glad to stop recommending them as well as stop taking my cars there.

·
Registered
320 Posts
DT has always matched Tireracks prices for me...however the do want to charge full price for mount/balance etc...

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Just picked up mine at the dealer for some service and warranty. I asked about this and they charge $25 / tire for mount and balance. For new OEMS a little over $1K.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts