Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OFFICIAL PRICE CHANGE

I have offially dropped the price of the NavBox device to $149.00. I am using different sources for hardware. In the spirit of being competetive I am still happy to see this device is still goint to cost less than half of any other device out there now.

I also will offer reduced rates on xbox modifications and fully support all xboxes up to the latest version 1.6.

Post questions to [email protected]

If you have never seen it in action look at this movie link:

CLICK HERE 4 MOVIE

MOVIE

·
Registered
147 Posts
do you have the installation instruction pics/slides or better yet ampeg instruction? like to see how easy to install it before making any decision.

can you also show us a pic of the decive you developed?

thx. :D

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
That's crazy! #@($*

So it only works with xbox or are you just using that as a cheap computer?

How did you control the xbox media center? xbox controller?

And how do you get media center on your xbox and the mp3s and stuff a usb cable?

Lastly, can you upgrade the hd on the xbox to bigger than 8 gigs?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This device is specifically made for the xbox.
I control the media center thru the wireless rf joystick I have.
The games go direct from the dvd drive to the hard drive with the aid of a special program. The MP3's can be imported/copied from dvd to hd or can be FTP'ed thru a hub/network connection.
The xbox can theortically support 8 terrabytes. Most people just throw a 120 gb drive in there.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is an older photo that I already have stored on my friends server.

The only thing that has changed is the type of plastic enclosure.

As far a instructions they are general as this device can be used on many different cars. I will make specific references to your car if the schematics are available to me. I think I have the FX diagrams so that wont be a problem.

·
Registered
147 Posts
perhaps you can mod the cable to a general RCA connector, so ppl that want to use other types of AV player can also use ur device. :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My-Sweet45 said:
perhaps you can mod the cable to a general RCA connector, so ppl that want to use other types of AV player can also use ur device. :D
I dont have any immediate plans to do that. It would make the device more expensive if I did that. I am trying to keep the price low. If you really need aux inputs then the avelectronics device may be the way to go. I am trying to offer a different , sort of bargain basement, solution. I know you're saying "how much could an extra input cost?"

Trust me if it were not a major factor I would have done it. There is simply a hardware limitation (specifically with the chipset) that I am held to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Will this allow the X-Box to play on my stock DVD screen and the Nav screen? Or does it need more modification.

I am intrigued!! :)

JJ

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got to tinker with a G35 today

Installed the NAVBox today on a G35. Sweet car man, real sweet. The install was the simplest yet. The nav controller unit is mounted above the glovebox. Took less that 15 minutes to find and cut into the appropriate wires.
Check out the the end result:

tThe G and the FX should be exactly the same.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Inspiring

Awesome job generator! It has definitely inspired me to finally mod my xbox. I had been kicking it around for awhile, and I have just ordered my mod chip. I would like to do the following, please tell me if there is a way to do this with your adapter (or if you would consider adopting the functionality or help solution it). I have a FX with the tech package which includes wireless headphones for the read DVD.

I would like to have five modes
1. Xbox video on NAV screen and rear DVD screen while playing audio through car speakers.
2. Xbox video only on rear DVD screen while using wireless headphones, stock functionality with head unit and speakers.
3. Xbox on NAV screen with car speaker audio while having tech DVD playing on rear screen with the headphones.
4. DVD from rear unit playing on NAV screen and rear DVD monitor.
5. Normal Operation.

I know this might be ambitious, but I like full featured integration. I also like the NAG screen disable feature.

Thx!

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Hey if the dvd remote is what you are going to use for controlling the system while driving and such don't you have to put ur xbox somewhere so that the signal to the remote is not blocked? Or can you get a BT remote like those logitech controlers now?

I'm assuming that the XBOX is under the seat so Im just wondering how you managed to use a remote.

BTW this will be the FIRST mod i do to my fx once I acquire one hehe. I hope that you will be still selling this by then.

Since xbox 2 is coming I figure i can just mod my xbox 1 and use it in the car as a cheaper carpc substitute thanks to this!

·
Registered
7 Posts
He was referring to the RF wireless game controler to control the xbox, not the DVD remote for the FX.

Logitech, Pelican, and Datel all make cordless controllers. I have the Pelican and just bought the Datel. I like the Datel much better. I get a bit of delay with the Pelican and sometimes the buttons do not respond.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Yeah but isnt it hard to drive and use a game controller to change songs? I meant the DVD remote for the xbox. I figure it would be easier to use than the controller but it uses IR right?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes the DVD remote is IR. So it would make it more challenging to use.

I was thinking it might be good mod to use the existing dash joystick to control the xbox, but I am not sure how to tap into it or if it would be compatable. Anyone try or think about this option?

I would think at the very least you could take apart a controller and mount the main joystick someplace to run through the xbox menus and make selections.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All of the functions on a modded xbox are mapped to the joystick. The mapping is user configurable (you must do the mapping thru a PC though) It is not really difficult to use the remote to manage songs etc. When my xbox goes on everysong is loaded in a playlist and randomized. If there is a song I dont want to hear I just press the B button and it goes to the next song. Dont forget that there are 14 pushbutton on a controller. You can pretty much make it do what you want. The mappings change depending what you are doing too. For video you have one map setup. For audio another and so on...

I use the logitech wireless joystick in my setup. It works pretty good. You are coorect about the Microsoft remote. It is infra-red and if you want to use it you must have line of sight. A modded xbox does not need the dongle to play DVD's so I never purchased one of those remote controls.

To make things better one of the guys I sold a NavBox to installed it in his G35 and mounted the xbox it in the trunk. He turns the xbox on and off with the Homelink buttons on the mirror. He switches the nav/xbox mode with another Homelink button. So he really took it to the next level. You can see a Mpeg movie of the G35 install at my website. http://WWW.generatorlabs.com

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Yeah thats really sweet how he did that with the g35!

I'm a huge audiophile and right now i use a remote in my jeep and im always doing something with it-changing volume, changing sogs, pausing and unpausing, and muting when I see the cops cuz i got the subs in the back.

There is no doubt in my mind that this will be my first mod after purchase, but I'm just trying to find a way to have some sort of remote other than the xbox controller in my hand while im driving.

DO you think there would be a way to mount an extended IR adapter somewhere and connect it to the xbox. Like with my hometheatre I have one IR thing at the top of the enclosure that all my audio adn video devices are connected to.

Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
contaygious said:
Yeah thats really sweet how he did that with the g35!
DO you think there would be a way to mount an extended IR adapter somewhere and connect it to the xbox. Like with my hometheatre I have one IR thing at the top of the enclosure that all my audio adn video devices are connected to.

Thanks!
I am sure if you bought one of those joystick extension wires you could plug the DVD infra-red dongle into that and have it positioned somewhere in the cab of the car. Ive never tried this approach but logically it should work.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts