Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone,

i was wondering about the silver center console and how easy it is to be scratched.

my question to everyone is this: is there a way to apply a very thin clear coat/film/cover to the individual console pieces to protect it from nicks, scratches and scuffs. Kinda like the 3M film that can be applied to the fenders and sides of cars, or how a surfboard can have a clear fibreglass coating (although brittle still somewhat protects from minor scratches however will be too thick of an option for the car).

if a 3M film/skin is an option then it can be folded over the edges of the pieces to give a clean seamless install look, since it's so thin it'll be almost invisible. Maybe 3M films will allow even a shrinkwrap type application process to prevent folds and creases. and maybe the 3M film could also be removed if needed without leaving any sticky goo as would be the case if you remove certain kinds of stickers from any surface.

i understand that the over all appearence of the surface would change to a glossy finish, unless a matte finish clear film is used which i am sure is somewhere in existence in this world.

this way everything would be protected and look nice for years to come. colorless clear would be my first color option but thinking about it further some people may like a different tint over the silver to give it a different appearence from time to time or even match their interior customizations. and if it were an easy-peel-away type film then they could change their custom color film as frequently as their heart desires.

i don't know i was just thinking about it...

what do you think???......

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Yes, the 3M clear bra film (Scotchcal) will work. It conforms to compound curves nicely. Biggest challeng will be getting nice fitted pieces.

My trim is perfect w/o one scartch or nick. My secret? DON'T TOUCH IT! :lol:

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think i'll buy a piece of the console from the dealer and try the 3M clearbra film, i'll even to experiment with a blowdryer to see if it'll shrinkwrap itself around the piece, i wonder what's the smallest or cheapest piece of the consol i can prchase, actually what i should do is buy a piece that is identical to my scratched up piece and swap them out and then experiment on the old scratched up piece just in case...

does the clear bra peel away easily without leaving any sticky residue?...hmmmm....i wonder

love the silver...hate the scratches :x

everything i own touches that thing from pens, sunglasses, keys, id badges, ughhhh

one day i swear i didn't have a single thing with me and i left my car and when i got back 2 hours later i swear there was a new scratch that was not there before i left....amazing :shock:

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
The material will peel off and if you do it smoothly, it will not leave residue. If it does, it can be removed with alcohol. I would just practice on your existing trim; you won't hurt it. A blow dryer will not shrink wrap the material. The material is meant to be stretched around curves. You apply it by using a spray solution (make sure you get directions for this stuff before experimenting) to wet the area (this keeps the film from sticking tight on contact and allows you to position it), then once the film is positioned, you use a little squeegee to smooth it and force the solution out from under it. The film will cure over a couple of days and any remaining moisture under it will find it's way out. The only time they use heat (they use a heat gun) is on curved edges to get the edges of the film to stick down and not come up.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
3M sounds easy enough, also another thought, would spraying each piece with 2-3 coats of a clear lacquer work as effectively, of course the coats would have to be very thin, and also this would take away from the original gameplan of being a temporary application, however it would provide a pretty hard shell over the delicate plastic...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts