Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read an article on MSN yesterday - 20 ways you waste money on your car.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Sa ... urCar.aspx

For the FX it can run on regular gas. The engine does not knock. But the gas cover says use premium for maximum performance.

Has anyone notice a difference or tried. I have treid both. Gas mileage appears to be the same or very close. Will I get more horsepower? Any difference?

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
Others correct me if I am wrong, but FX45 says to only use Premium 91+ octane, whereas FX35 "recommends" Premium for maximum performance. So you can use middle grade gas in the FX35 with no issue.

·
Registered
361 Posts
virgo_888 said:
Has anyone notice a difference or tried. I have treid both. Gas mileage appears to be the same or very close. Will I get more horsepower? Any difference?
I ran 87 octane once because my gas station ran out of 93 octane and do notice the loss of horsepower. Even though it doesn't knock, I still prefer the 93 octane for maximum performance. If you can afford the FX, you can probably afford to pay for higher octane gas.

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
aznqtboy984 said:
If you can afford the FX, you can probably afford to pay for higher octane gas.
I agree. It probably doesn't make any noticeable difference but I'd rather treat my FX as good as I can. I only buy Chevron 92 Octane.

·
Registered
276 Posts
When I was in Boston I used Sunoco 94

Maryland/DC rarely have 94 so I use

Sunoco 93

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've always used super in the FX. The only time I've ever used 87 is during a long trip because I know I will use it all, then it's back to 93.

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
87 all the time - no issues. And more $$$ in my wallet for Starbucks whooaa whooaa! hahahaha

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
You won’t hear the knocking because the engine has the anti-knock system. It retards the timing as soon as it senses knocking and won't let you accelerate as hard because its sensing the fuel is detonating(lower octane) instead of spontaneously combusting(higher octane). Knocking is caused by lower octane fuel properties, which explodes swiftly, and causes the rattling on the valves, lifters and pistons, instead of combusting spontaneously which the VQ35/45 is engineered for. For the engine not sustain damage from knocking, they installed the knock sensors, which retards the timing in the expense of performance but do prevent damage.

Bottom line is, the ECU(engine control unit) will not let the engine accelerate as hard as it would if it had higher octane fuel. Hence the "for Optimum Performance use premium fuel" verbage in the owners manual.

·
Registered
523 Posts
carrera mike said:
You won’t hear the knocking because the engine has the anti-knock system. It retards the timing as soon as it senses knocking and won't let you accelerate as hard because its sensing the fuel is detonating(lower octane) instead of spontaneously combusting(higher octane). Knocking is caused by lower octane fuel properties, which explodes swiftly, and causes the rattling on the valves, lifters and pistons, instead of combusting spontaneously which the VQ35/45 is engineered for. For the engine not sustain damage from knocking, they installed the knock sensors, which retards the timing in the expense of performance but do prevent damage.

Bottom line is, the ECU(engine control unit) will not let the engine accelerate as hard as it would if it had higher octane fuel. Hence the "for Optimum Performance use premium fuel" verbiage in the owners manual.
Might i say,Very well put :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Amoco 93 or Sunoco 93, nothing less, regardless of price per gallon or milage I'm getting. I might be wasting my money (which I don't think I am) but I wasted money on less important things before. Any arguements ??? read Mikes post, says it all, very well put.

·
Registered
206 Posts
i use reg cuz im a cheap.

i used super when i first got it, but boy did that get old...

sorta like a new GF. nuttins to good, till you hit it.....
then its 99 cent menu for you beotch

:twisted:

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Sakebomb said:
i use reg cuz im a cheap.
i used super when i first got it, but boy did that get old...
sorta like a new GF. nuttins to good, till you hit it.....
then its 99 cent menu for you beotch :twisted:
:laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i know i can afford the car. paid off in cash.. lol :p

my point was if the car really did require premium just put a sticker
premium fuel only. not the crap about "for maximum performance...."

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
on the inside of the fuel door of the 45 it says premium fuel only... :(

·
Registered
154 Posts
I actually do notice improved fuel mileage when using premium.

This is how I decide which fuel to use:

0 celsius or below = regular grade
0 - 10 degrees = mid grade
10 degrees or higher = premium

·
Registered
53 Posts
carrera mike said:

Bottom line is, the ECU(engine control unit) will not let the engine accelerate as hard as it would if it had higher octane fuel. Hence the "for Optimum Performance use premium fuel" verbiage in the owners manual.
This is all correct. However you gents that claim to feel the difference in HP that results from the amount of timing retard necessary to compensate for 4-5 points of octane must have EXTRAORDINARILY sensitive pant seats! The associated loss of HP for -4 octane should be between 2% & 3%. I seriously doubt anyone can actually "feel" the loss of 9HP. Psychologically...sure. :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts