Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The throttle body is placed much closer to the firewall than the VK. The plumbing needs to be completely different in design. :?

VK:

VQ:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Excuse my MS paint job like that of a 3yr old's but here's my idea, much like the Z tube-Stillen box:

A mandrel bent 3" alum tube, a heat shield box that clips on to the original front half of the air box:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to do some measurements this wknd and draw something up and go over the design with Ken. Hopefully he will agree to do something with me on this.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Why not just do the Stillen/Z tube combo? It's set up the same way, works just like you describe and looks essentially stock when installed.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that is probably my best bet. I just want to see where this goes.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Z tube has proven itself to gain HP. I'm just going for the extra flashy look pretty much. Anyway, I'm giving Ken a call tomorrow to confirm my Monday appt. I hope we can get something rolling. Considering the stiff competition on the CAI/Rams for the VQ, it'd be interesting where he'll stand on it. If he could get a low cost solution for a short ram for the FX35, I bet it'll be a HUGE hit.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, here's an update. I went to Paddock today to get measurements for the CAI. Finally got to meet Ken and his partner Steve, both very good guys and I am very happy to have met them personally. Ken seemed eager to make products for our FX and his enthusiasm definitely made the long drive up worth while for me.

I was very impressed with the shop and the work they do. In the middle of the show room was a replica Porsche 356 roadster. Another car in the back, in their garage was a Shelby Cobra. :shock: A very clean show room with a nice display of items on the walls (including a display of wheels - a few that seemed way too big to be real- 26"??), a nice sitting area w/ leather couches & a plasma tv and most importantly, windows looking in to the garage area where the work is all done.

In the garage they had Ken's 45 ofcourse but the true dual was still in the prototype phase. He took out the plumbing to do some more fine tuning. So basically what you saw in the teaser pic is what I saw. He said that even with his prototype exhaust & intake, the car was seeing about 20+ hp to the wheels AND atleast 3mpg more on average. Very promising for the VK owners. :D

He had some 18" BBS rims on the car as he sent his stock 20s to get powder coated gloss black! I think it would look stunning. :shock:

Steve made the measurements and we discussed the overall design of the CAI for the VQ. I had a few ideas of my own but ofcourse, Ken and Steve know a lot more about fabricating these things than I do. From what we discussed and knowing the work they're capable of, I am very excited to see what they come up with. More to come in a week or so. :D

·
Registered
882 Posts
theres no gains at all in havin the airflow go over that chopped up sectioning of tube
I'm not too sure about this...Comptech makes quality performance parts for Acura vehicles and their Ice Box CAI makees very nice gains yet they use accordia type fittings between the pipes. In a way it may be better because you don't want just stright flowing air flowing into your engine but rather turbulent air.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
mushutofu said:
theres no gains at all in havin the airflow go over that chopped up sectioning of tube
I'm not too sure about this...Comptech makes quality performance parts for Acura vehicles and their Ice Box CAI makees very nice gains yet they use accordia type fittings between the pipes. In a way it may be better because you don't want just stright flowing air flowing into your engine but rather turbulent air.
yes

you do want tumble to occur.....

in smaller CC motors especially...... (polishing inatkes on larger displacement motors CAN work, but the shape/length/direction of the intake determines alot of this!)

where you want tumble to occur is in the intake tract, by the throttle boddies themselves.... this is where it can be best controlled....

before the TB's you want the coolest, and most dense (and quick) charge of air possible....

·
Registered
882 Posts
well put. I'm really interested in this Paddock intake but not to sure if 399 is a justifiable cost for possibly 3-5 whp...
It looks nice and probably sounds kick ass at WOT but cost is a bit steep for an intake

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
mushutofu said:
well put. I'm really interested in this Paddock intake but not to sure if 399 is a justifiable cost for possibly 3-5 whp...
It looks nice and probably sounds kick ass at WOT but cost is a bit steep for an intake
DONT FORGET

i confirm with ken (at paddock) that you are an active FXORG member, and you get 15% off the listing price.....

that helps some, i think..........

also, you get good customer support, and a noticable (and audible) gain in improvement......

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
How & why was this ever so simple, BASIC idea forgotten? Don't Injen and other posters see that it's simply a matter of getting from point A (throttle body) to point B (center air scoop area) in as straight a line as possible? Is this not correct thinking?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
ujmot drew it well, didn't he?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LMAO :lol:

Hey. dont diss my MS Paint skillz 'aight?

To answer your q, Ken never contacted me after the measurements were taken. He should have taken the initiative to fabricate something that was pretty much guaranteed to sell like hot cakes. I called once to follow up, left a msg and never heard back. So I went the conventional way although I would have loved something that was fabricated to my specifications.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
ujmot said:
Hey. dont diss my MS Paint skillz 'aight?
OK, show of hands (and I'm a bit afraid to admit to this in public), but did anyone else see a ... boner in that picture?!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You've let my subliminal image out. **** you Kenny!

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
I saw this post and then looked at the starting date.I was up there a couple of weeks ago for my 45 and am still waiting delivery(he was in hospital after an accident) and his 45 is sold. the design is real good!!!
delivery is???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts