Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Isn't the engine cover Plastic? As far as I know, you can only powder coat Metal pieces.

Powder coating relies on a static charge by cliping a metal clip onto the object you are coating. I don't know which way, but basically the object get's - charge and the powder is + charged (or vise versa) which is how it sticks to the metal.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
185 Posts
dmtalon said:
Isn't the engine cover Plastic? As far as I know, you can only powder coat Metal pieces.

Powder coating relies on a static charge by cliping a metal clip onto the object you are coating. I don't know which way, but basically the object get's - charge and the powder is + charged (or vise versa) which is how it sticks to the metal.

Hope this helps
true, but it is still possible to get current (static) to flow to plastic, the proof is in most of the chrome parts we have on our cars, all plastic, no, the problem hides in the curing process, after powder been applied it need to be cured in a oven for 20 to 30 minute at about 400 d. you know plastics and high temps usually don't mix very well...

·
Registered
443 Posts
I got a 2nd hand G35 coupe engine cover for my FX35 at 50$ US from TMAXG of Grubbs

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Why not just paint it? Plenty of G and Z owners have done it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
i painted my stock cover...but really F**k up.... ^.^ :evil: :cry:

·
Registered
832 Posts
Here is a pic of mine :turn-l:

Attachments

·
Registered
832 Posts
shong43826 said:
infx35 said:
Here is a pic of mine :turn-l:
did you have someone painted? or did you do it yourself? if so what kind of paint did you use?
I painted it myself.

I used some paint from my previous car...01' MSM Lexus IS300.

The cover has some kind of coating and is a b*tch to paint. There is about 3 coats of MSM (Millenium Silver Metallic) & 2 coats of clear.

It didn't come out perfect, but I'm still happy with the results! :D

I painted my IS300 engine cover with Dupli-Color High Heat Engine spray paint from Autozone. It took the whole can...8 coats.

Good Luck! :)

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts