Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I’m new here so I’m hoping someone will be able to give me some advice. Kinda a long story sorry. A couple of weeks ago I walked out of the store got to my 2007 Infiniti m35 and as I got to the driver door a gush of radiator fluid came out from under my car by the driver tire. My car had NEVER previously overheated at all. So immediately I thought crap water pump just went. Drove it home it was a 1 minute drive where the car did reach hot but not the H mark on the temp gage. Parked it in the garage replaced the water pump and thermostat bled the system using the burp valve at the back of the engine then reving the engine to 3000 rpm a few times until fluid was coming out of the burp valve. Drove my car for about 10 minutes and it still got hot. Took it to the mechanic he said blown head gasket. So here’s my conundrum. First my car never ever previously over heated. I checked the oil and there’s no water in it. My radiator fluid is the color it should be, it’s not milky. There’s no water coming out of my tail pipe. I’m a girl ( a knowledgeable one) and I feel like mechanics like to take advantage of me. I’m not sure he’s telling me the truth as all signs don’t point to blown head gasket. Anything helps y’all thank you so much!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
What did the mechanic do to come up with the blown head gasket diagnosis. Did he do a compression check or a leak down test? Are you leaking any more coolant? Are you getting a Service Engine Soon light? Are there any codes? Maybe do a pressure test on the radiator to start, then have a compression test or leak down test?

·
Registered
64 Posts
It is possible that the radiator is cracked, but it could be several things. A cooling system pressure test will let you know if and where you have a leak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It s
Hey everyone I’m new here so I’m hoping someone will be able to give me some advice. Kinda a long story sorry. A couple of weeks ago I walked out of the store got to my 2007 Infiniti m35 and as I got to the driver door a gush of radiator fluid came out from under my car by the driver tire. My car had NEVER previously overheated at all. So immediately I thought crap water pump just went. Drove it home it was a 1 minute drive where the car did reach hot but not the H mark on the temp gage. Parked it in the garage replaced the water pump and thermostat bled the system using the burp valve at the back of the engine then reving the engine to 3000 rpm a few times until fluid was coming out of the burp valve. Drove my car for about 10 minutes and it still got hot. Took it to the mechanic he said blown head gasket. So here’s my conundrum. First my car never ever previously over heated. I checked the oil and there’s no water in it. My radiator fluid is the color it should be, it’s not milky. There’s no water coming out of my tail pipe. I’m a girl ( a knowledgeable one) and I feel like mechanics like to take advantage of me. I’m not sure he’s telling me the truth as all signs don’t point to blown head gasket. Anything helps y’all thank you so much!!
[/Q

·
Registered
3 Posts
It sounds like your heater core failed. The fluid would be coming in from the drivers side floor area, near the center console that is between driver/passenger

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Antifreeze leak in car usually indicates a bad heating core. Could be even a loose hose on heating core, but most likely core is bad. Sounds like it's time to get a new Mechanic.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The OP said the leak was under the car on the driver side by the wheel. There is no mention of a leak inside the car. It is unlikely to be the heater core.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I’m assuming you found evidence of the water pump actually having failed right? If so and it never got super hot you might be alright. These coolant systems are annoying to bleed and it’s possible you still have air in the system after a major change like that.
The only real way to know is a coolant pressure test. If your mechanic didn’t do that test and he just said that it’s probably a head gasket based on the engine getting hot after losing coolant then he is just guessing because that is a common scenario. If yours wasn’t that hot as you say, a coolant pressure test is the easiest way to find the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The mechanic I took it to did a gas test and said there was exhaust in my cooling system. Which is the reason it’s overheating

1 - 10 of 10 Posts